Both eyes open pistol shooting?

Model12Win

Hello friends! Well I've been shooting handguns for about 4 years now. I've always used a one eye closed technique when it comes to shooting, but recently I've heard that for defensive pistol shooting it might be a good idea to use two eyes instead of just one. I recall being taught it's best to shoot with your one dominant eye and to squeeze the other one shut, so this is news to me. If you think about it, it makes sense. I could see how having two open eyes would be better for situational awareness.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you like to shoot with both eyes open when shooting pistols? What are the pros of doing this? I've read many threads were people mention that they do this, but no threads about why it would be preferable over a one eye closed approach. What do you think?

Thanks for your time!

Tried both eyes open, can't do it. defensive situation is different then target shooting. I'm not clearing my house with one eye open. More then likely I will be point shooting if it comes to that, two eyes open. If I have time or have to aim, I have already identified my target, it's instinctive to switch to one eye and very quick.

Two eyes are better than one, but only if it works for you.
If having them both open causes blurry or double vision, then there's no advantage.
Sometimes slightly squinting the non dominant eye works, too.
Use what ever method allows the best view of sights and target.
And it might change, depending on the available light and distance from eyes to sights.

Keep em both open -

Typically your master eye automatically overrides the other eye so keeping both eyes open just lets you stay situationally aware better.

Tried both eyes open, can't do it. defensive situation is different then target shooting. I'm not clearing my house with one eye open. More then likely I will be point shooting if it comes to that, two eyes open. If I have time or have to aim, I have already identified my target, it's instinctive to switch to one eye and very quick.

That's me. If I'm point shooting they're both open otherwise my left eye is closed.

I have always shot with both eyes open in competition, plinking and hunting. For me it is far faster to pick up the target.

I shoot everything both eyes open. Optic, irons, pistol, whatever. Both eyes open for handgun shooting is also taught via the NRA lesson plans they have us use for certified courses.

Learning to shoot with both eyes open can be frustrating, especially if you ever decide to try to learn how to do it with a scope, but it is very useful in certain situations. If you want to learn how to do it, just look through the sights like you normally would, then slowly open your other eye. Eventually, you'll be able to bring your gun up and acquire the sights with both eyes open. It doesn't take much practice, and it is very easy to practice at home while dry firing.

"If you want to learn how to do it, just look through the sights like you normally would, then slowly open your other eye. Eventually, you'll be able to bring your gun up and acquire the sights with both eyes open. It doesn't take much practice, and it is very easy to practice at home while dry firing."

I have a substantial library on pistol shooting. Early reading and documentation showed a preference for using one eye and most of the early 2700 match shooters used one eye, then it changed to using both eyes. Reason was that the closed eye suffered from lack of oxygen from being closed and caused stress to the closed eye.

Basically, do what works for you, I start with one closed in matches and decide if have enough light to see the bull , need more light, open the other eye.

I shoot with both eyes open, but I have to work up to it every time. It's like my brain forgets it's training. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. When I shoot right handed and leave both eyes open I have trouble bringing in the sights.

I also have this problem with scopes, if I shoulder a scoped rifle with both eyes open, I just won't see through the scope until I close my left eye, then I can open my left again and maintain the scope picture as well.

After having these issues for several minutes (maybe as long as 30 minutes) I seem to become used to it, and I can shoot with both eyes open for extended sessions without any problems. rifle, pistol, and scoped rifle.

When I finish and come back the next day, or the next week or whatever. I will have to work up to being able to shoot with both eyes open again. It kind of annoys me that I have to re-train every single time, this has been happening for many years.

Maybe I'm a freak of nature.

i am right-handed and left eye dominant

when i hold out the gun with eyes on the target, i see two guns, the gun on the right is how my left eye sees it, the picture doesnt change if i close my right eye, i didnt learn to shoot with one eye closed so i dont even think about it

Both eye's always open no matter what I'm aiming across or thru. Just a preference learned while bird hunting as a youngster. And prompted to do when in the Service.

I've tried this and while I can see both images and tell which one is correct I end up concentrating on the target not the target in the sights, and lose my sight picture as a result.

Eyes

One solution to double imaging, since you are wearing shooting glasses anyway, is to get a clip on occluder which blocks the line of sight from one eye.

I shoot with both eyes open - all guns, all types of sights.
The reason for this has already been mentioned in passing....our vision in the aiming eye is more acute if both eyes are open.
Evidently the pupils of the eyes dilate sympathetically. So, when one eye is closed, the pupil of the aiming eye reacts to that to a degree.
Pete

For what its worth, there are a lot of people out there that don't know if they shoot with both eyes open or not.

They are concentrating on fundamentals and not their eyeballs

I've noticed this a lot the last 30 years or so.

Just last week in one of my classes I had one lady was shooting if what I considered a near perfect standing position. I had everyone in the class stand back and watch her shoot. No movement what so ever, she didn't even blink when the hammer fell.

About 15 minutes later the one vs. two eyes were the best. Then the lady I mentioned said she always shot with one close. The other girls looked at her like she was nuts. I told her she did indeed shoot with both eyes open, she didn't believe me until the other girls told her she did have both eyes open.

--------------------------------------------------------

Closing one eye is like plugging up one ear, it screws up your equilibrium. In defense situations it doesn't matter, chances are you are under three yards and you'll be point shooting anyway.

If target shooting, if you have difficult with your sight alignment with both eyes, then take something and block off the lens of your shooting glasses, for the non dominant eye so it doesn't distract you.

This works also for rifle shooting for someone who is left eye dominant and shoot the rifle right handed. Blacked out the left lens so you have to use your right or non dominant eye.

Iv'e been staying out of this thread since there are so many people here who shoot better than I do, but just want to reinforce something kraigwy just said; blanking one eye but keeping both open delays eye strain and helps focus.
I use one of these http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=CC100W and, even though I can not see through the translucent plastic, when it feels to me like both my eyes are focused on the front sight, the shot is a 10 or X.

A strip of tape on the lens works too, especially to just try out the technique.

Back