Both eyes open, or keeping one eye shut, is either one the proper way?

The way I learned to do it was to slightly turn my head so that my dominant eye was the only one that was able to see the sights. Once I was comfortable with that I began moving my head back to straight on. A few sessions of dry fire practice is all you need to train your eyes and your brain.

People get all dogmatic about doing it THE right way. Both eyes open is probably preferable but if you can't do it, you can't do it. So close an eye.

No biggie. If you're teaching someone to shoot and they can't shoot like that, then are you going to make it a miserable experience for someone?

Not me!

--Wag--

Constantine,

I am a right handed shooter, but am left eye dominant. For pistol shooting I tuck my chin to my right bicep and look down the sights with my left eye and keep both of them open. Closer than 7 yards just point and shoot using natural point of aim.

Crossed eyes?

Naw, I'm teasing.

On dryfiring my new snubbie, I discovered that left-handed looks through the left eye, right-handed looks through the right eye. I wink to make sure. Yep.

Both eyes open after finding the target. Crazy.

I learned to shoot with 1 eye but I have been working on shooting with 2 eyes for several years now... I still catch my self occasionally trying to close my left eye.

i started out using the one eye....now both eyes open...eyes focused on front sight and target slightly blurred. never shot better in my life :D

I started out mostly squinting my left eye, and using my right, and that worked pretty well.

Then I read the various reasons why using both eyes is theoretically better, so I switched over.

Shooting right-handed, or with both hands on the weapon, it actually works very well.

I find that I shoot to the right, though, when I try using both eyes if shooting left-handed (weak hand for me). Left-handed, I still have to nearly shut one eye, but I've found that it's the right one that gets mostly closed. If I line up my left hand and left eye, I hit dead center.

Not sure if this is correctable (IE, if there's a way to train to use both eyes, when there is such a noticeable difference, for weak-hand shooting).

After having read the contents of this post, and especially reading Kraigwy's response, I went to the range today to practice leaving my off-eye open. I must say, it made a HUGE difference in my shooting, and from now on, I will always keep it open. My eyes weren't fatigued afterwards, the one thing I hated most about going and shooting a bunch. i will practice this from now on. Thanks guys.

i know old thread - but i think i have been doing one since i was on a rifle shooting team when a kid.

now i want to do both eyes open for handgun target etc. it was hard - i was all over the place yesterday at range.

i think i am right hand - left eye dominant. so i can ignore the other gun image and focus on front site - but what about the target. i swear i was seeing two targets and was getting my aim so off - frustrating - i think i just need to practice dry fire at home.

Still working on keeping both eyes open myself...newbie to the handgun world...I find myself reverting back to one-eyed every so often.

I also started out with one eye shut. Ever since I shot with red dots on M4 I started using both eyes open with pistols and other iron sights. My eyes are not so fatigued after a day of shooting. I am trying to apply it also with scopes. It's a little harder to do. Oh I am right handed but left eye dominant. Don't know if that makes a difference shooting with both eyes open.

Back