Both eyes open at close range with a handgun

Plenty of trainers, schools, and old timers have discussed the merits of point or reflexive shooting. It can be done to good effect. It's also not a replacement for sighted fire. There's a balance in using it.

Also, I'm for both eyes open even when aiming, but I know for some people that's not easy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have come to the conclusion over the last couple years Tunnel and I are on the same page more often then not, only I get the impression he can actually shoot. :)

CQB (close quarters combat) is point and shoot. Usually anything further than say 5 yards is more accurate by putting the front sight on the target. Lots of different opinions but whatever works for you is good. As a combat veteran, I keep both eyes open...my choice. I prefer full vision to include peripheral vision to see what may be coming at me sideways. As in any gunfight, a slow hit is better than a fast miss.

"...just point the gun and shoot..." You must keep your eyes on the target too.
Airsoft guns are toys and nothing more. Sykes and Fairbairn were teaching this technique before W.W. II. Their book is called "Shooting to live". $23.99 on Amazon.

I will go one further. Yes keeping both eyes open is a great habit for combat shooting at fairly close ranges. But now I’ve found that astigmatism in my dominAnt eye forces me to keep both eyes open on the 300 yard rifle range with open sights. I use my non dominant eye (with much clearer vision) to help me guide the ghost image of my soghts onto target. Then I focus with the dominant eye, but focus is a relative term with my right eye these days.

A note that may not apply to ranged weapons. I have a few taped aim points on my heavy punching bag. I closed one eye during my workout about halfway through it thinking I was curious to see the difference after reading this thread. Now I didn’t slow down and throw a lot of punches (about 190 per three minute round) and my third or fourth punch in completely missed the bag. This is not one of those new narrow tall bags either. This is and old school round bag. It was a little disconcerting.

Back