Both barrels at once?

Wow! Love all the responses.

For whatever it's worth, the few times we've tried to shoot booth barrels at once, we shooting low based, short, target loads.

Even we are not crazy enough to put high based shells in there and try it.

May still be a crazy thing to do.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Final thought . . . .

Reread this thread and realized I never answered the questions about why would someone want to do this?

Well, I bought the Stoeger Coachgun just for the fun of having a short barreled scatter gun. It's fun to shoot. So both triggers at once doubles the fun . . . right?

Life is good.
Prof Young

If its for pure giggles(or groans) on a modern "Cowboy" shotgun,knock yourself out!!

Actually, do what you want with your firearms.

IMO,if you have an example of a fine old double,enjoy it gently. Where the stock wrist joins the receiver there are thin sections of carefully fitted wood that is maybe over 100 yrs old.
If its MY old lightweight LC Smith ,I'm not pulling both barrels.

In a practical sense,if you pull one trigger and hit,with a load of buck,your target is impressed.And dead. If you miss,your target is unimpressed,but you have another loaded barrel. Try again.
Pull both barrels and hit,well,your target is deader than dead.
Pull both barrels and miss,your gun is empty.

Maybe if you are a Pro Hunter following up a wounded leopard in the bushes and its Capsticking through the air 4 feet from you,pull them both,I guess.
Then draw your Bowie,as Silent,your gunbeared levels the .404 Jefferies ..and....

You have fun your way.

I had a old Essex SxS 12g hammerless. Got it cheap with a bulged barrel that separated rib.
I cut off to 18” and thought it would make excellent rabbit & grouser. It did but it had the tenacity to double fire. Not as one but with small mili second delay. BA-Boom. You had to hold it tight or thumb latch would split the web between thumb & finger.

I have Stoeger Coach gun my darling bride give me for my 50th BD many years ago. The main reason I wanted it was I think they look cool. I have pulled both triggers at the same time. It's not too bad but I use low brass 2 3/4{" game loads. I have fire a number of 3" buck shot out of the gun but only one at a time. I may be dumb just not that dumb.

Back