Boring Stuff, Let's Do More Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPris

Member Emeritus
If establishing a gold claim along a back-country river, which revolver would you take, and which pan would you use- plastic or steel?
Denis

Unless big bears are a threat on this river, I'd take my Ruger Single Seven birdshead. The short barrel is less likely to get wet when I'm hunkered down in the river. And a steel pan so I can cook in it until I find the gold.

A plastic pan because they are easier to use.

For getting dinner, my single six.

For claim jumpers, my red hawk in 44 mag. Cause it's stainless and the water won't hurt it as much

I’d use plastic pan and since it’s rural the gun would be my .45 Blackhawk convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things do seem to be in a bit of a rut here lately . I'll play. Ruger Vaquero 45 colt and steel pan. Kind of traditional yet stainless would be better around the river.

Denis did some paning I used a plastic pan and had my super redhawk 454 casull with me. I also found about five bucks in gold lol. However if biting flies were worth something I would have been rich

My trusty camp gun... 5.5" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt, loaded half and half with 255grn cast medium velocity loads and 300grn JSP's under IMR4227.

I might as well just bring a frying pan... I couldn't find gold in a hock shop.

Steel pan. (I can cook dinner in it. ...And play Frisbee with a bear.)
Ruger SRH in .480 Ruger.
Why? Because the SBH is too shiny (Ruger totally rebuilt and refinished it), the S&W 29 doesn't have a good holster, and the other options don't have the same 'impact' - visually, or terminally.

Pan would be steel, can use it to cook and boil water over a fire.

Gun would be a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. My .45 Colt/ACP Redhawk would be fine too, but when you pan for gold, you gotta stay as traditional as possibly, just like they did over a century ago.

Steel pan...'cause you can cook or heat water in it too....and my Smith 629 with a 5" bbl. Good .44 Mag loads should be available any where nowadays...but back in the day, a .44-40 cal. would probably have made more sense in a SAA of course. Rod

.45 Colt always a good choice for such activities.
The dual utility of the steel pan for cooking had not occurred to me.
I'd go with a plastic pan, black. Green if not available.
Easier to see shiny color than bright steel, unless your steel has a darkish patina.
A plastic revolver seems a little out of place, but I can see the weight advantage.
Denis

If we're talking guns that I own, then probably either one of my Ruger GP-100s in .357 mag, or my S&W M69 in .44 mag. If I can choose anything, I think I might like a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .41 Magnum (in Fantasyland, ammo would be both cheap and plentiful).

Oh, and the pan would definitely be steel. That'd be more in keeping with the whole 49er miner thing, plus I could cook in it, or even use it as a reflective device should I need rescuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back