Border Patrol Writes Letter to Military Officer's Commander - Conduct Unbecoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally won't exit the vehicle when I know the cop has pulled me over absent reasonable suspicion.
Reasonable [articulable] suspicion can always be manufactured after-the-fact. "I smelled marijuana as he drove past" (at 60 mph on the other side of a divided highway.) Or they can trot out "Officer Safety." It doesn't matter that you're right and the cop is wrong, by the time it gets to court the cop will be right and you might even be dead.

I don't have an answer to it. My point is you need to be careful.

Last edited:
I agree the same legal concepts apply to DUI checkpoints. No suspicion, no need to exit.

And you would be wrong. Mimms is very clear about the question of being ordered out of a vehicle:

The State freely concedes the officer had no reason to suspect foul play from the particular driver at the time of the stop, there having been nothing unusual or suspicious about his behavior. It was apparently his practice to order all drivers out of their vehicles as a matter of course whenever they had been stopped for a traffic violation. The State argues that this practice was adopted as a precautionary measure to afford a degree of protection to the officer and that it may be justified on that ground.
-----
We think it too plain for argument that the State's proffered justification - the safety of the officer - is both legitimate and weighty.

To recap:
  • Martinez-Fuerte (Border Patrol checkpoints) and Sitz (sobriety checkpoints) permit vehicles to be stopped without suspicion at checkpoints.
  • Once a vehicle is stopped, Mimms allows an officer, without suspicion, to order a driver out of the vehicle.

... cops often lie...
Let's be careful to stay on topic. This thread is about a specific LE agency and a specific type and instance of alleged abuse of authority. It should not be considered an open invitation to impugn LEOs in general.

GC, your quote suggests the driver was pulled over by the cop in Mimms for a traffic violation. Are you saying that the cop actually pulled the driver over without cause? He was pulled over for an expired license plate, which was certainly reasonable suspicion for a crime. Therefore, he could order the driver out of his vehicle.

What I am saying is, if a cop pulls somebody over who hasn't broken any laws and has given no reasonable suspicion for a crime, then a driver doesn't have to exit the vehicle. In other words, when it is litigated, if the court finds the stop was unlawful (an unreasonable seizure), then they will hold for the driver who refused to exit his vehicle. Until that case is brought up, however, who knows. I'll read Mimms right now to make sure it didn't say otherwise.

In any case, it doesn't apply to a checkpoint stop not on the border, because there is no suspicion. The courts are very clear about limited the seizure in that case to a brief inquiry into immigration status. The only reason the courts allowed these checkpoints was because if done within the lines set by the Court, the intrusion was "minimal." If they can just order people out of their vehicles for no reason, that's not minimal. I'm willing to bet any amount of money the courts would not allow that.

Last edited:
your quote suggests the driver was pulled over by the cop in Mimms for a traffic violation. Are you saying that the cop actually pulled the driver over without cause?
No, that's not what he's saying.

He cited two cases.

One case (Martinez-Fuerte) states a vehicle can be stopped without cause.

The OTHER case (Mimms) states that once a vehicle is already stopped the officer, without suspicion, has the right to order the driver out of the vehicle.

Taken together the two cases allow an officer to stop a vehicle without cause and without suspicion order the driver to exit the vehicle.
What I am saying is, if a cop pulls somebody over who hasn't broken any laws and has given no reasonable suspicion for a crime, then a driver doesn't have to exit the vehicle.
Mimms says that as long as the stop was legal it's also legal for the officer to order the driver out of the vehicle.

Martinez-Fuertes says that it's legal to stop a driver who hasn't broken any laws and has given no reasonable suspicion for a crime.

Thanks John.

His quote, which I responded to for clarification, included the sentence, "It was apparently his practice to order all drivers out of their vehicles as a matter of course whenever they had been stopped for a traffic violation." That suggests the cop pulled the driver over for a traffic violation (which he did), which therefore means the cop was not absent suspicion as GC stated.

You are correct, he did cite two cases. Two cases that are independent and not related. One involves a cop pulling somebody over WITH reasonable suspicion. The other is the Supreme Court allowing Border Patrol checkpoints ONLY if they are brief and limited to an inquiry into immigration status. There is absolutely no way you can conflate the two and come to the conclusion that people can be ordered out of their cars at a Border Patrol checkpoint that operates absent any suspicion. The jurisprudence is very clear here.

There is absolutely no way you can conflate the two and come to the conclusion that people can be ordered out of their cars at a Border Patrol checkpoint that operates absent any suspicion. The jurisprudence is very clear here.
So you agree that it's legal to stop cars without suspicion at a Border Patrol checkpoint and you also agree it's legal for an officer, without suspicion, to order a driver to exit the vehicle. But you say that the jurisprudence is clear that if an officer does both in a single stop that's not legal?

It's not clear to me. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

GC, what you don't seem to understand that the Supreme Court considers Border Patrol checkpoints not on the border to be a very unique situation. Why? Because they stop everybody without any suspicion of wrongdoing. The courts have operated under the assumption that for a forced interaction by LEO to not be an "unreasonable seizure" under the Fourth Amendment, that the officer has to have some articulable suspicion for a crime having been committed. LEO cannot just pull people over willy nilly because they feel like it, since that would be an unreasonable seizure. Now in the case of Mimms, if LEO pulls over somebody for reasonable suspicion of a crime, they can order the person out of the car. But in the special case of suspicionless checkpoints, they cannot. I'm not sure why that point isn't coming across.

Border Patrol checkpoints are a special case, because they do not require suspicion of criminal activity to make persons stop. Now many think that these checkpoints are unconstitutional for that very reason. One being Justice Thomas of the SCOTUS,

"Indeed, I rather doubt that the Framers of the Fourth Amendment would have considered 'reasonable' a program of indiscriminate stops of individuals not suspected of wrongdoing."
- Justice Thomas [Dissenting] (City of Indianapolis vs Edmond), 2000

But he was in the minority, and in Fuertes the SCOTUS allowed the Border Patrol checkpoints but gave them very specific limitations. LIMITED. Brief. Immigration Status (not ordering people out of their vehicles).

"In United States v. Martinez-Fuerte the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of immigration checkpoints at which INS agents would stop travelers without suspicion for questioning about immigration status.   The Court held that suspicionless 'stops for brief questioning routinely conducted at permanent checkpoints are consistent with the Fourth Amendment.'  It explicitly limited its holding to stops and questioning to enforce the immigration laws;  searches or 'further detention' must be based on consent or probable cause.'"
- Fifth Circuit (U.S. vs Machuca Barrera), 2001

"As we have stated, '[t]he Constitution [is] violated [ ] when the detention extend beyond the valid reason for the initial stop.'"

"The scope of a stop is limited to investigation of matters justifying the stop."

"The Fourth Amendment's requirement that stops be reasonable applies equally to a checkpoint."

"We have already noted that the permissible duration of the stop is limited to the time reasonably necessary to complete a brief investigation of the matter within the scope of the stop. The scope of an immigration checkpoint stop is limited to the justifying, programmatic purpose of the stop:  determining the citizenship status of persons passing through the checkpoint. The permissible duration of an immigration checkpoint stop is therefore the time reasonably necessary to determine the citizenship status of the persons stopped. This would include the time necessary to ascertain the number and identity of the occupants of the vehicle, inquire about citizenship status, request identification or other proof of citizenship, and request consent to extend the detention. The permissible duration of an immigration checkpoint stop is therefore brief.   Indeed, the brevity of a valid immigration stop was a principal rationale for the Supreme Court's conclusion in Martinez-Fuerte that immigration checkpoints are constitutional:  'The stop does intrude to a limited extent on motorists' right to free passage without interruption ․ ut it involves only a brief detention of travelers during which [a]ll that is required of the vehicle's occupants is a response to a brief question or two and possibly the production of a document evidencing a right to be in the United States.'    Within this brief window of time in which a Border Patrol agent may conduct a checkpoint stop, however, we will not scrutinize the particular questions a Border Patrol agent chooses to ask as long as in sum they generally relate to determining citizenship status."

"...questioning unrelated to the justification for the stop that extends the duration of the stop violates the Fourth Amendment."

And if questioning that is not related to inquiry into immigration status isn't allowed, then how on earth would making somebody exit their vehicle be allowed? Again, there is no suspicion for a crime here. If you are going to say that Mimms applies regardless of suspicion of a crime, then you might as well say that officers in a parking lot can order every driver out of their vehicle without cause for "officer safety" until they get into the Wal-Mart. It makes no sense, and it's not supported by the law.

So you agree that it's legal to stop cars without suspicion at a Border Patrol checkpoint and you also agree it's legal for an officer, without suspicion, to order a driver to exit the vehicle. But you say that the jurisprudence is clear that if an officer does both in a single stop that's not legal?

It's not clear to me. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I do NOT agree that it's legal for an officer, without suspicion, to order a driver to exit the vehicle. If I typed that somewhere, it was a typo. Unless you're referring to my statement that it's legal for them to order (but it's also legal for the driver to not comply).

And if questioning that is not related to inquiry into immigration status isn't allowed, then how on earth would making somebody exit their vehicle be allowed?

Mimms allows an officer to order a driver out of a vehicle before questioning.

I do NOT agree that it's legal for an officer, without suspicion, to order a driver to exit the vehicle.

It is okay for you to disagree with the finding in Mimms and I even wish you luck should you ever have the opportunity to test that disagreement in real life.

Before questioning for what? For questioning concerning the crime the officer has reasonable suspicion for? That's the key, the officer has reasonable suspicion a crime has been committed.

According to Mimms: "Reasonableness, of course, depends "on a balance between the public interest and the individual's right to personal security free from arbitrary interference by law officers." United States v. Brignoni-Ponce, 422 U.S. 873, 878 (1975)."

According to Mimms: "The police have already lawfully decided that the driver shall be briefly detained; the only question is whether he shall spend that period sitting in the driver's seat of his car or standing alongside it."

Again Mimms: "...once he had reasonably concluded that the person whom he had legitimately stopped might be armed and presently dangerous..."

More Mimms: "The State does not, and need not, go so far as to suggest that an officer may frisk the occupants of any car stopped for a traffic violation. Rather, it only argues that it is permissible to order the driver out of the car." Notice the SCOTUS doesn't say "the occupants of any car," but rather says, "the occupants of any car stopped for a...violation."

Arbitrary interference is not permissible. The stop must be lawful. Legitimate. In other words, there needs to be reasonable suspicion for a crime. Suspicionless checkpoints do not have that element, therefore it's a different case all together. Not to mention all the jurisprudence that specifically talks about the limits to those checkpoints.

Last edited:
Are you serious? The big hint is that Mimms doesn't say anything about "questioning" but does make it very clear that the stop has to be legitimate and lawful and NOT arbitrary. The other big hint is the SCOTUS cases making it extremely obvious what the stops are limited to in the case of a Border Patrol suspicionless checkpoint.

Fortunately the SCOTUS made it so clear that even you can't dodge this. According to Mimms:

"Contrary to the suggestion in the dissent of our Brother STEVENS, post, at 122, we do not hold today that "whenever an officer has an occasion to speak with the driver of a vehicle, he may also order the driver out of the car." We hold only that once a motor vehicle has been lawfully detained for a traffic violation, the police officers may order the driver to get out of the vehicle without violating the Fourth Amendment's proscription of unreasonable searches and seizures."

These are not subtleties. Accept them.

Again Mimms: "...once he had reasonably concluded that the person whom he had legitimately stopped might be armed and presently dangerous..."

It is not very sporting to misdirect the dialogue by quoting from a different section of the case that deals with a different topic ("There remains the second question of the propriety of the search once the bulge in the jacket was observed.")

It is okay for you to disagree with the finding in Mimms and I even wish you luck should you ever have the opportunity to test that disagreement in real life.

This is the part where you say, "You were right, I was wrong."

Since your quick responses have ceased, I'll take that as your admission. I've been wrong before too. Not about my job that involves force against citizens or anything, but I've been wrong. Thanks for re-acquainting me with Mimms.

Last edited:
"Contrary to the suggestion in the dissent of our Brother STEVENS, post, at 122, we do not hold today that "whenever an officer has an occasion to speak with the driver of a vehicle, he may also order the driver out of the car." We hold only that once a motor vehicle has been lawfully detained for a traffic violation, the police officers may order the driver to get out of the vehicle without violating the Fourth Amendment's proscription of unreasonable searches and seizures."

Please tell me how the above is misdirection. Please tell me you can accept the law when it's clearly presented to you, instead of coming to your own random conclusion based on your own desires.

These are not subtleties. Accept them.

Simply put:
  • Mimms does not apply when a vehicle is not detained and an officer talks to a driver (your Wal-Mart parking lot example).
  • Mimms does apply when a vehicle is detained.

You are wrapped around the axle with case-specific details. The Supreme Court uses the details of individual cases to arrive at general legal conclusions and concepts - such as "lawfully detained." All of the exact details of Mimms will never be replicated, but the concept that an officer can order a driver out of a lawfully detained vehicle can be used in circumstances with untold variations.

The syllabus in Mimms states the concept succinctly:

The order to get out of the car, issued after the respondent was lawfully detained, was reasonable and thus permissible under the Fourth Amendment.

Then we agree. A cop can order somebody out of a car after a lawful seizing of the car. A lawful seizing of the car requires reasonable suspicion for a crime. The courts have allowed an exception with Border Patrol checkpoints, where cars can be briefly seized absent suspicion for a limited, brief, inquiry into immigration status. That does not mean ordering people out of cars.

In your quotes above you should just add one thing before detained, and one after. "Lawfully," and "violation." Like the Supreme Court did:

"We hold only that once a motor vehicle has been lawfully detained for a traffic violation, the police officers may order the driver to get out of the vehicle without violating the Fourth Amendment's proscription of unreasonable searches and seizures."

In other words, if a cop pulls me over unlawfully (and I have equipment that covers all the possible bases and transmits the evidence via cell network to a secure server) and orders me out of my car. I'm not getting out. Then it's game on and anything the cop does after that point is illegal and criminal and I will respond appropriately, and take it to court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back