Bond Arms / derringer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkiker2089

Ok, I'm going to buy a derringer, probably a Bond Arms because I don't care for the Cobra and American Derringer's DA38 is no longer in production and hard to get.

I like the looks of the Backup model but it only comes in 45acp. I want either 9mm, 38 Special, or 357. I know I could get a different barrel later but that starts to jump the price up.

My gun dealer suggested that I get the Texas Defender because he can order it in 357 and that would save me money in the long run. The gun costs a little more up front but it's cheaper than getting a Backup with an extra barrel. I prefer the looks of the backup model but the others look good as well and I would probably be happy with a chrome one.

Any suggestions?

I kind of want a DA 38 style that I've seen listed as either BTJ or American Derringer. One is on Gunbroker for 350 now. By the time I pay fees and my FFL to get it I could have a new Backup for the same or less.

I think I'll just get the Texas Defender. The polished looks good as well. I wouldn't try to change it.

I'm not sure about wood versus rubber grips but I'm sure it will be fine.

Now I just need the money ;) I'll probably wait till closer to Christmas.

I buy a good S&W snub nose instead of a 2 shot derringer . I had a derringer years back . I decided I rather toss at BG and go for my knife. :eek:

I own a Bond in .45 Colt / .410 shotgun. It is definately a fun gun to shoot and a definate niche gun. Mine goes on desert ATV rides with me all the time. I'd use it against a human attacker if needed, but its not my first choice.

If you don't have a rattle snake niche to fill (3 inch .410 with #9 shot is an awesome thing), its just a fun gun to shoot. It does not replace a snubbie wheel gun or auto for other defensive use.

I want it more as a collector item to take to the range occasionally.

Another thread here brought up the Double Tap again. It's totally different in an ugly utilitarian sort of way but I like it as well. The deal breaker is that everyone who uses the DT complains that it hurts their hands in a specific way. I think the handle needs to be changed to reduce the pressure at your thumb and put it back in the palm where it belongs. They surely can do that without making it thicker. Then again maybe it's in how it's held.

There's been a lot of posts about how the derringer has been overtaken by more modern pistols.
You can buy a small frame revolver in .38 or .357 or a micro automatic in 9mm or .40 caliber that holds more rounds, is smaller and lighter, more compact, and much faster into action then any derringer, and are much less clumsy then the derringers.

With that said, the Bond Arms derringers are the absolute Cadillac of the derringers.
They're built like a tank from solid stainless steel and are of the highest quality.

I don't know if I'd like to light off .357 in one of those, but .38spcl should be sufficient and bearable. I just bought some .357 short barrel ammo from Buffalo Bore. I haven't tried them yet. I would think they probably have it in .38spcl, but don't know for sure.

I loved the Bond 45 Colt/3" 410 model. Had to learn how to use the trigger, squeeze down and back ...but was just too heavy to carry... went back to a revolver:(

Every time I see one of those Bond Arms .357's, I think to myself "I want one". Then I think about what I would use it for. I just can't bring myself to buy one, but they are nice to look at.

I'm in the same boat Skans, but you only live once so what the heck. I don't claim to have a use for it but if I did decide to actually carry a gun it would work fine. I'm ok just knowing that it'll go to the range once a month.

i got bitten by the b.a. bug and have accumulated several. they are niche pieces for sure, but a fine niche. any "4" caliber needs extended grips. rubber are stickier but wood absorb recoil better. since they are built so solid and usually shot little, used ones can be a good buy, just look for new action-upgraded models with the indented trigger and wider hammer. stick with using lighter, handgun-specific defense or cowboy loads especially in "4" calibers. 45lc is not unpleasant at all, 410 is doable, 9mm and 38 are very pleasant, cheap to feed & make fun range practice toys, 22lr is for big kids, 45 acp is less pleasant and 357 is punishing. center mass hits at 10' are certainly achievable. i would get a 410/45 with an extended grip and add an extra barrel in either 38/357 or 9, or 45acp if you must, depending on your edc preference. dont think of a b.a. as two shots only, with 410 it is 6 balls, or paired with your edc it is your edc capacity plus 2. while heavy, they are safe, small and flat for ccw. they are easier unloaded than a revolver if you must enter a non-ccw place. there isn't much anyone can do to muck up a b.a. and render it inoperable.

Just a thought here, you know you can carry a J-frame which gives you 3 more shots and a loaded weight of 25 oz. and the bond derringer weighs 20 oz. empty. Just a thought

If you want a great Deringer, get the Bond! Yes the design has limitations as a carry gun but they do work and they are definitely fun at the range! Just something about all that boom in a small package :)

OP, buy it, post pics, admire it, & shoot it some!! I'll live vicariously through you.

The Bond Arms derringers occupy a similar niche as the NAA mini revolvers. They just barely serve a useful purpose, there are probably handguns that do what they do more efficiently, BUT they are so well made and they just look so good, they persist. I've yielded to the NAA, not not yet to Bond Arms..... Not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back