Bolt rifles in 7.62x39?

Cav19D

Inactive
Can't find any decent ones for the life of me. Was just wondering if there were any out there? Looking to get my hands onto one to compliment my Kalashnikov. Don't really know of producers however.. Maybe mil surp? Any ideas gents?

Quite a few years back someone else also had produced one. I believe it was Ruger, but not sure. I only ever saw one at a show and it was priced really high. I have one I built before there were any around and I was really surprised how accurate the stubby little round was.

Yes, Ruger used to make their Hawkeye Compact 77 in the 7.62x39. They have become kind of pricey if you can find one. They also did a couple runs in their #1 Single shot, one just recently.

Zastava/Chas Daly/Remington 799(?)

I have one which is an OK little rifle but not outstanding. Got it for the Grandkids but found other alternatives that seemed to work better. Early on, it was difficult (expensive) to find decent quality ammo but that's changed lately.

"...Maybe milsurp?..." Don't think any military ever used or wanted a bolt action 7.62 x 39. Fair number of commercial hunting rifles around though. A lot will depend on your budget.
Ruger doesn't list anything in 7.62 x 39 other than the over priced, inaccurate Mini-30.

I also have heard good things about the CZ rifles. I always keep an eye out for a used one but haven't stumbled upon one yet.

Savage, Ruger, Mark X

Yes, Savage made a version of their "Scout" (the Comrade Scout??) but I am not sure if it is a current offering. Ruger also made limited runs of the Frontier and the MKII in x39 as well. CZ markets a x39 bolt, and it receives good press here often. I think the YZ /Zastavia Mini Mausers were also in x39, as well as same rifle sold by Remington as 798's??

I'm a big fan of an x39 bolt rifle if you don't ask too much of it regards range and critter size. Think of it as a near 30-30 bolt rifle. The rifles mentioned are all tidy little numbers that suit well for woods hunting deer, hogs, maybe black bear.

Zastava makes them at a somewhat lower price than CZ. I'm thinking about trying to get one for a good price to convert to 6.5 Grendel.

I have one of the Ruger 7.62x39 (plastic stock, stainless steel action and barrel), hidden behind a secret panel in my garage for varmint duty. The light recoil is appreciated. I have taken a couple of Woodchucks, a skunk, and one dog attacking my geese. Garage is not heated (Michigan), and the gun is none the worse for the wear after several years. The only precaution I take is to keep the muzzle covered with plastic tape...we have wasps that build mud cells in which to lay their eggs, in holes the size of the bore.

I think that you should at least give serious consideration to a 300 blk. Although you may feel that the performance is better with the other, you are limited in your quality ammo and bullet availability, whereas you can find ammo for the blackout that ranges from 80 to 200, accuracy seems to be better, and this is absolutely the coming thing. There wouldn't even be a bit of doubt in my mind, sacrificing 100 or so fps wouldn't be enough reason to go with the other.

dakota.potts said:
Zastava makes them at a somewhat lower price than CZ. I'm thinking about trying to get one for a good price to to 6.5 Grendel.

I'd check with Legacy Sports, Howa is supposed to release a 6.5 Grendel this year in the mini action. They were talking about it at Shot Show quite a lot on the web. It would be the cheapest route to go in a bolt action in that cartridge.

attachment.php

I just built one 2 months ago with a $50 1903 Turk Mauser action, a $50 long chambered barrel, and $20 1903 Springfield stock.

I can't remember what I paid for the bolt handle welding. I have had a zillion 1903 Turks welded.

Ruger made the Model 77 Mark II in both stainless and blued models. They both came with that butt ugly "boat paddle" plastic stock.

My late brother bought one of the blued models and was impressed with it's accuracy and lack of recoil. ANYONE could shoot it well AND it would shoot almost any ammo accurately!

He just couldn't live with that ugly plastic stock, so he ordered a wood stock directly from Ruger. That stock transformed the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan that I inherited when he passed away. It is now the rifle that I use to introduce new shooters to the deer rifle class of firearms. I have yet to find anyone who can't shoot it well.:)

I also hunt with it myself. My hunting loads use Reloader 7 with any of the brand name bullets from the major manufacturers. Honestly, I can't tell any difference in accuracy or performance between any of them.

If you can find one of these rifles on the used market at a reasonable price I would definitely pick it up.

Back