Bolt Rifle with Iron Sights

I've made a decision not to buy anymore rifles that do not have irons.

If they do not supply them, then they should at least drill/tap the barrel for them IMO. Not doing so is a missed market opportunity. I'd buy that.

-SS-

I agree with you, Sweet Shooter. I won't buy a rifle that lacks iron sights.

Also, I suggest looking for an Enfield Ishapore 2A1. These are magnificent .308 rifles that were made in India and designed similarly to one of the earlier .303 British Enfields, but chambered for .308 and made with a higher grade of steel. Outstanding rifles. East to care for and clean. Rugged and well constructed.

Better still, MOSIN NAGANT!!!!! 7.62x54R trumps .308 any day.

I bought my Ruger Compact Magnum in .308 precisely FOR the iron sights on it.
It's a trim package & I quite like it.
I did have to replace the worthless tiny front bead with a more visible XS white-line post, but after that it shoots & carries well.
Denis

Yep, I also love iron sights on bolt guns and shoot them pretty well. No scope makes the entire package short, light, slick and fast. I always hated the damn scope on a rifle as it always seems to get in the way.

Don't I wish

When you get to a certain age the option of iron sights is not an option any more I have a couple of red dots and a 4x pistol scope in the scout configuration on my 30-30 and both of my .308s I guess it all comes down to what works best for you
Good luck and good shooting

I set my sons up for hunting with the poor mans scout rifle, lol. A rem 700 ADL-SY (synthetic Youth) and installed Williams aperture sights on it. That is a sweet shootin' setup. Compact, accurate, and works with nothing superfluous on it.

I've been accused of handicapping my kids for getting them irons instead of a scope, but that didn't stop him from knocking down an elk with it. :p

My eyes no longer work as well with apertures as they used to, the front post doubles.

I'm finding that with the right combination of front & rear, I can still see both well enough to shoot decently with irons in the form of a VISIBLE front post & a notch rear.

The Compact Magnum .308 was shooting about 6 inches at 100 yards as it came, with that tiny bead. Once the sight was replaced by the XS blade, groups shrank to under 2 inches, with a couple going markedly lower, in exactly the same shooting conditions.

There's something about the way light transmits through the rear notch that sharpens up the front blade. I tilt the blade up out of the notch & it blurs, I put it back down in the notch & it sharpens right up.

Has to be the right configuration on the rear, not all work equally well.
I noticed the same thing on a Rossi .22 pump years ago.
Once the bead's dumped, the notch on the Ruger CM works great.

The Ruger rears with a two-level wide notch and a tiny bead are particularly hard for me to line up, but the notch on the CM is perfect.

Just a thought.
Denis

Can't see a Vanguard on their site with irons.
What am I doing wrong? :)

Shot the Remington BDL a while back, very nice rifle. Nicer if they made it without that varnish.
Denis

Go check out the used rifle racks at your gunshop, or go to a gun show or two. You will find plenty of lightly used rifles, often with iron sights and low end scoped mounted. Find a good one, take the scope off, you're in business.

Stay away from the military surplus bolt guns. While quite adequate, you won't make the weight you want.

Because I've never hunted (but would really like to hunt hogs), has anybody here hunted hogs or deer with a Spanish FR8?

They quite often have excellent bores and have sights similar to the HK-91/Cetme. I have two matching FR8s, bought recently at a typical (or "GB") price of about $425, and the tool for the front sight is very cheap. Contrary to many Internet rumours which confuse the FR7 (very old 7mm action) with the FR8, the FR8's action is the large-ring 8mm Mauser.

One of my most memorable shooting achievements was, when, in 1979, firing my trusty Winchester M-70 XTR in .308, at 100 yards, with GI ammunition and in fading light, I fired a 1.5" group, and I was wearing glasses by that time.

My friend has a Mosin Nagant M38 he's willing to trade for my Mossberg 500. It's not quite under 7lbs but I think it'll do. I also saw some scout type mounts for the M38.

I have an old Mossberg 800 30-06 with iron sights. Not my main gun but fun to use for hog hunting occasionally. 220gr Core Locks do the trick, luckily I can still use iron sights (52 yr. old eyes).

Back