Bolt Rifle Suggestion

I don't know why. But I've been asked many times to help track a deer wounded with a 06 more than any other caliber used in the woods for deer. My suggestion: Buy a 270. The best caliber ever invented for the harvesting of thin skinned big game >bar none.
Since you commented your Elk hunt is down the road a-ways. You'll most likely to buy another rifle in a magnum caliber for the Elk purpose when that day comes.
A bold statement I'll make: "Seldom does a participating big game hunter rely on a one size fits all caliber & rifle."

if your budget is $800 including optics and you're thinking about the howa, have you considered the Weatherby vanguards instead? from what I've heard they are very similar to the howa only $150 cheaper. they are guaranteed to shoot 1 inch at 100 from the factory. I would heavily recommend one, that would leave quite a bit for good optics. personally, for a good deer to elk gun, I would say the 7-08 would be an excellent choice. for most places on the east coast you're not looking at very long shots and the 30-06 can damage a lot of deer meat at 200 yards, no less 20. I tend to prefer the smaller, 6-7 millimeter cartridges for deer and move up when I'm hunting elk but if you want a one size fits all, then I would say the 7-08 does a pretty decent job of it.

So i had some time to kill today and took a trip to dicks here in frederick, md and then went to bass pro in pa. Handled the ruger american, savage 11/111 and 16/116, tc venture, and mossberg patriot. The mossberg didn't fit me well at all but the ruger, both savages, and the venture fit me the best.

well given that you liked the ruger, I would suggest that. it is likely the most economic of your options, leaving the most money for optics. it's also known for being surprisingly accurate for it's price range.

The weatherby vanguard series 2 should have been on my list and it definitely is in consideration at that price point you don't see many rifle manufacturers offer moa guarantee except for the weatherby and the tc venture to my knowledge.

I bought a heavy SS Howa barrel action in .223 and put it into a heavy walnut stock for casual Sunday target shooting. However, you could just as easily buy a lighter blued version (with a very wide selection of calibers) and put it into a Boyd's stock and have yourself a good hunting rifle with enough room in your budget for some inexpensive glass.

My Howa is a very nice rifle which looks more expensive than it is and it will shoot five-shot 1/2 MOA groups @ 100 yds nearly every time.

I have several Savages that I like, but the fit and finish on my Howa 1500 puts the Savages to shame.

Being a Model 70 guy this is hard for me to write, but here goes.

Sent my wife to a LRPR school where they had her shooting the 6.5 CM. I ended up buying her a RPR in 6.5 and was impressed.

I kept hearing about the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and found one on a road trip recently at a good price (less then $400) and bought it on a whim.

Took it home and started playing with it. Set the trigger to about 3 lbs and I was impressed. The 6.5 CM is an excellent (one of the best) LR rounds out there. The rifle, though light, didn't seem to walk when the barrel got hot.

Using Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets the 6.5 exceeds my go to hunting rifle in 150 gr Berger bullets at 1000 yards in both vel and energy, even though my 270 starts out at 2750 fps and the CM starts at 2650 fps.

But the Ruger AP is lighter, and has a shorter barrel (22 vs my Model 70s 24 inch)

If one is looking for a good budget rifle, the Ruger American Predator deserves a look see.

Its just not as pretty as the Model 70.

This rifle will mainly be used here in the east for white tail but with possibility of an elk hunt years down the road.

Don't try to over-generalize. Get something handy and adequate for deer and enjoy it.
When you can afford an elk hunt, you will be able to afford a bigger rifle for it.

Back