Bolt gun suggestions

I'd love to have a good ar10 or m1a, but those are at least double the cost of the bolt guns I'm looking at. Again, I'm a college student so it takes a while to save up for something like this. Plus, who doesn't love a good bolt gun? I have my ar15 for semi auto shooting and such, just looking for a bolt action rifle that's fun to shoot as well. Been researching the mvp in 5.56 all day pretty much and really like it. Especially since I already have tons of 5.56 and magazines it would take.

I agree that the mvp in .308 would be pretty redundant given my 30-06, so I'll stick with more intermediate rounds for my purchase.

The upper and lower of the ar-10 I built for my daughter are under 600 right now at PSA...... Is the RAR really 280 bucks?

Hopefully I can clarify things a bit.

For a new hunting rifle, if you have a Cabllas close, they have some great options and a very good price. Not in 7.62 x 43 (?) but......

Cabella has store only Savage in the 10T and the 12V.

If you want to hunt with it I would go with the 6 or 6.5 Creed, but it has 223 (talk about cheap ammo) as well as 308, I don't think you want the 22-250.

Less filed worth but a good option is the 12FV

Again 6.5 creed, 204 Ruger (not sure on that one) 223 and 308.

Both have Varmint barrels (heavy, stand up to longer shooting session)

Long term you can upgrade stocks and even barrels.

I have seen the 12FV as low as $269 with a $100 Savage rebate and $50 off Cabless.

10T is more expensive but down as low as $450 I believe.

Again I like Savage a lot as it has a floating bolt head so to get a good setup does not require an expensive blued print, the nut allows easy barrel changes (I do my own but a smith won't charge a lot). Huge numbers of barrel ready to go all you do is screw in to a head space gauge, set the nut and done.

Boyds has low cost stocks from standard contour to a thrum hole I like a lot. Drop in no bedding (a bit of relief at the rear tang )

In other words its a lifetime gun you can shoot as is and change to anything you want with lots of parts chocie3s to do so for the nest 80 years.

I like the 6.5 as it is probably the most versatile easy to shoot cartridge out there, I would not shoot a bear (grizzzly) but they do shoot moose in Scandinavia with that caliber.

Short term they work good as is. Its a terrific target round as well as hunting.

If I did not like 30 caliber so much I would have one and may get one yet.

Your Savage 110 takes no second seat to any gun made today.

I have built 3 Savages traget rifles off the 110 (2) and 10 actions.

If you want in the future, you could build that 110 into a great target rifle.

I would recommend Shilen, Criterion or Lothar Walther barrels in Varmint or Bull barrel.

As it has a nut set for head space, you can take the old barrel off and keep it perfectly intact. I used to hunt with a raised scope gun, I liked having the irons for instant backup. Not fun in the dark or thick woods to run into a bear and not be able to see it.

Boyds makes some great Laminated stocks with very nice finishes (and 1 inch pads!)

Doesn't mean you can''t keep the old stock and return your dads gun to original.

And trust me, I know how you feel. We had to replace the barrel on my dad's 1903 Sporter. He died with that gun so there was a lot of emotion attached to it (and he and my brother build the sporter stock for it, amazingly the stock survived the boat overturn and submergence )

The chamber was gone (corrosion) and it was a wall hanger or a new barrel. We figured a new barrel and the heart and soul was still there and meant to be used.

I have to shoot it with a slip on pad, its light and a great hunting rifle (I can't hunt anymore) - so I adjust a bit.

The upper and lower of the ar-10 I built for my daughter are under 600 right now at PSA...... Is the RAR really 280 bucks?

To me the gas guns have no soul. Efficient machines.

So yes, I think bolt guns have that and very biased.

Some can be interesting but have gone to bolt actions.

Only one I shot and really liked was a Robinson Arms XCR.

Ergonomic were right, basically a AK action built on a modern receiver (not a modified AR, just the long stroked piston and the latest thought in location of the controls and setup)

Good left side cocking bolt (where it should be) magazine release well done, really good two stage trigger.

Jacket67-
I can really empathize with the budget constraints. I've only just recently recovered from a horrible financial situation. Apparently lots of members here have plain forgotten what that's like, because they keep suggesting stuff that costs 2 or 3 times more to shoot than what you were asking about.

I can't disagree with your logic for leaning towards a .223 now. It would totally make sense to stock the same ammo (& mags) as your AR. And I just came across a smokin' deal on good Lake City surplus .223. It's discounted because of a little tarnish, but is priced like the cheap steel stuff. http://www.theamericanmarksman.com/AM--Lake-City-223-Rem-55-Gr-FMJ-New-1000-Rounds-_p_657.html I strongly suggest stocking up at this price- I haven't seen a deal like that in a decade. If I didn't already have plenty I'd probably be ordering a bunch myself. And I still just may buy some...

Maybe I missed this, but you do already have a .22 rifle, right? Because now that .22 lr is becoming available at 3 or 4 cents per round again, no centerfire can compare for range plinkin'/blastin' fun.

I got my kids and wife a ruger hawkeye compact in 7.62x39 topped with a leupold 2-7 scope and its awsome.it has very light recoil and is stupid small and perfect for the small shooter.its not a long range gun but is easy to shoot and lots of fun.hornady and federal have serius hunting loads and plus all the mil surp for killing paper.i love this caliber in a bolt gun and is always a rifle i recommend for fun/small shooters and "something different" rifles.

The -06's are punishing in "steel" butt pad form. They can be made to shoot pain free. I specifically use a PAST recoil pad and a Creedmoor codura shooting coat. Between the 2 layers of padding I can shoot my Garand and my '03-A4gery "all day long". I'm old, skinny and a self admitted puss so this is a solid testament to how you simply need to adapt and have fun.

My first precision centerfire was a box stock R700 Varmint 308. I bought a "demo" for like $500 and added a nice Sightron 8-32x scope and just shot the snot out of that rifle. still shoots excellent but the throat is showing some errosion. Think I have about 5000 rounds logged. Have a nib takeoff replacement barrel all ready to bolt on when needed.

You already have a bolt-action 30-'06. It would be redundant to get a 308 bolt-gun.

Yeah, would have to agree.

The '06 covers everything the .308 could do in the field, and reloading for the '06 mitigates the cost differential between the two as far as buying factory ammo. But unless you live in Alaska, the .308 suffices for most 'practical' hunting applications that you'd use an '06 bolt-gun for in the lower 48.

That said, ... if a bolt-action rifle or carbine in .308 is on your "must-have" list of post-Xmas purchases, I'd be looking hard at CZ's line-up in that caliber. They're well-made, accurate rifles.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/categories.php?cat=971

:cool:

Last edited:
I believe a Ruger American Rifle chambered in .243 Win or 7mm-08 Rem would be nearly perfect for what you are seeking.

Hey,

Congrats on choosing the 7.62x39. It's a GREAT short range deer-getter. It isn't flashy, but it works very well. I shoot the 123 grain Hornady SST steel cased factory loads. This is the only factory load I shoot (I prefer handloads), but this round just plain shoots and kills so why change?

With that said, if you're looking at a bolt action 7.62x39, I STRONGLY recommend that you get a CZ 527 Carbine. Seriously, it's the best. It's a great shooter, short and very easy to handle, and uses real walnut/steel.

It's my favorite rifle, and I have many.

Quote:
I believe a Ruger American Rifle chambered in .243 Win or 7mm-08 Rem would be nearly perfect for what you are seeking.

Where are you finding that ammo for 20 or 30 cents per round?

Where did I write that I am "finding that ammo for 20 or 30 cents per round"?

Where did I write that I am "finding that ammo for 20 or 30 cents per round"?

Dude, the previous poster, when he read your post, was suffering from a serious Xmas egg-nog hang-over.

Cut 'em a break. :rolleyes:

Back