Bolt Action Single Shot .22 for First Rifle?

I'd buy the Ruger American Rimfire for a kid. They're very accurate, according to recent magazine articles. The plastic stock may be best.

Kids often have very corrosive fingerprints, so use a synthetic auto polish on the metal parts. I use Turtle Wax poly car polish and it lasts a long time. It also doesn't attract dust and dirt.

I agree with some of the others. A Winchester model 67 can be had for not a lot of money and is an excellent shooter as is an Ithaca model 49. The 49 isn't a bolt action, it's a falling block but is a very accurate little gun.

The CZ is too expensive?
I can't say that.

I see the CZ "Scout" for sale around here and on the net for about $300
That's not a give away, but it's not bad.

My most accurate 22 is a Remington 581 that I bought for $60.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Some other classic, very accurate single shots are the Remington 580, Winchester 67, And the 510 Remington series. Most are reasonably priced used, unless you get the dimwit Gunjoker seller who thinks he has gold.

$300 is a bit more than $150, and there are plenty of others that are less than that. he mentioned the $120 cricktet. I'm certainly not someone who would suggest that a first rifle should be a CZ, but myself, with my own kid, I might pick up a CZ or other higher grade rifle. A premium line bolt for a lifetime ownership. I'm just not one for a "starter" rifle, I think that it should start out with a lifetime investment in shooting.

"you drop that or blow it up and it's the last one you're going to get!!!"

Back