Bolt Action Single Shot .22 for First Rifle?

Homerboy

I want to start teaching my son to shoot. I have a 10/22, but want to start him out on single shot. The Crickets look too tiny. He's 9 and a big kid. So what is a decent, inexpensive, single shot .22 that I can start him out on, and can I also shoot .22 shorts out of it? Thanks.

Measure his LOP. Have him hold a yard stick like he's shooting and look where his trigger finger comes on the stick. That's very close to what LOP he needs. Then look at a Savage Mk II.
Wouldn't worry too much about it being a single shot. It's not like he'll be out shooting alone.
Decide on your budget first though.

Savage of Stevens.

So what is a decent, inexpensive, single shot .22 that I can start him out on, and can I also shoot .22 shorts out of it? Thanks
First off, my compliments on your line of thinking. At out rifle station during our Hunter Safety classes, We have two youth models by Marlin and one MK-I Savage adult size, for the bigger students. Now, Stevens is Savage and I know they are less expensive. You also have the option of going to a mag fed bolt action.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Be Safe !!!

Pick up a Marlin bolt action. I've had a model 25 since birth so 35 years. A few years back I was given a 983s and it's just as good of a shooter. Can be had for between $100-200. Even better deals used.

My most accurate 22 is a Remington 581 that I bought for $60. Of course my wife also has a Rossi/Taurus single shot break action in 22 and 410. It was bought for $164. The stock sights made shooting a pie plate at 20 yards hard. Then I put a red dot on it and things got better. Then a cheap throw away scope i had siting around and now it's laser precision in my wifes hands.

If you do get a combo don't get the 410 unless you want to pay $15 per box of shells. 20 gauge is well worth the money.

Other than the Savage, there aren't a lot of good low-priced bolt-actions being sold today. If you want an affordable bolt-action other than the Savage, you'll have to go used. The older Marlin 25N and later 925 were fantastic shooters. The even older Marlin 25 was also good but I don't like them because their safeties are "backwards" (back to shoot, forwards to lock).

Mossberg 801 Half-Pint,,,

Click here please.

I have friend who bought this rifle for his young boy,,,
It has proved itself as a very good shooter.

The nice thing is that it's actually a mag fed repeater,,,
It comes with a single-shot magazine plug,,,
But also takes the 802 Plinkster mags.

His boy pops clay pigeons at 50 yards all day long,,,
It runs $180.00 at budsgunshop.com.

There is also the Henry Mini-Bolt,,,
It is an excellent single-shot youth rifle.

It's a bit pricier at $211.00,,,
But in my opinion it is a fine shooter.

But like everyone else has pointed out,,,
A Savage bolt action rifle is a good choice as well.

I wouldn't go the single-shot route though,,,
For some wacky reason the single-shot Mk-I costs more than a mag fed Mk-II.

I own a Savage MK-II F that I bought at Wal Mart for $147.00,,,
Now the Wal Mart version does not have that Savage Acu-Trigger.

But mine is a very straight shooting gun,,,
Well worth the small price I paid for it.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

Kids grow up too fact !!!

Homerboy
Have him shoulder the 10/22. If it fits "fairly" well, then pass on a youth model as he will outgrow it too soon. Three of my grandsons that are into hunting, all got started on the same 20Ga. youth model shotgun. when the oldest outgrew it, it got passed down and they got a full size 12Ga. After we get done with the last grandson, we will just trade it off or keep it. It's kind of like buying shoes, you don't want them to outgrow them too soon. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

No, but a bolt action single shot is the most excellent place to start. After he, "out-grows it", let him get his next rifle by his own earnings. But always, always keep that first rifle.

Out-grows it ??? I started life with a two single shots which I still have and use!That's lots of years!
The benefit is that it puts a thought in your brain " I've only got one shot I have to make it good " As a result of the training it's been , with rare exception , one shot ,one deer with rifle or pistol !! So from 22rf to 45-70 I've got things covered ! :)

If the Savage Mk II fits, it would be an excellent choice. If it's just a little too big, you might also look at a Ruger American either the standard size or possibly the Compact. The Ruger with the synthetic stock comes with a two interchangeable butt-pieces that will allow you to change the length of pull.

Last edited:
I have found the Marlin 882's to be easy to find and being stainless they are easy to clean up and look almost new. They are mag fed and are ready for a r imfire scope when he is ready for that part of learning.

The only benefit of using a 10/22 is its easy to get an adj stock model that he can adjust as he gets older and he will never outgrow one of thoes.

How about a Ruger American Rimfire. While I do appreciate beautiful wood stock and their traditional values, I appreciate the stability of synthetics even more. And he shold be able to keep it for a lifetime.

I would have to ster you toward a Henry lever gun. My son is nine and he started out with a Savage Rascal, I got him a Henry for his 9th birthday and he does very well with it. He'll have both the rest of his life but he'll shoot the Henry a lot more. Levers are very safe too, so it's a great choice to start out with.

Single shots tend to be a PIA to load since most have no feed ramp and the access opening is small.

I'd prefer a magazine fed version where you can just drop in a cartridge and close the bolt rather than having to manually insert it into the chamber.

No kid wants to spend half their shooting time fumbling around with small cartridges

I still have and shoot my old Remington 512 Sportmaster bolt action repeater that my Dad purchased in the 1950's. It has since been "upgraded" with vintage Weaver scopes from the period, one a 4x, the other a 6x, to accommodate my aging eyes. Whatever you get, make sure he has some good memories shooting with you. I think of my Dad and the times we had together every time I pick up that rifle. LOP may have been a bit long when I first started shooting it, but I took my first Turkey with it in my early teens.

I was thinking about a Henry lever. But I think I'd rather be able to just drop a magazine to unload the gun then work a lever a bunch of times to do it. Again, I'm thinking safety for a first gun for him. Working a lever and a cocked hammer doesn't seem to be the ticket. But I'm still undecided about that.

Back