Bolt action rifle $700 or less

Try Dicks, Cabella, Gander.

Look at the Savage models.

On sale you can get a 6.5 to 308/270 for under $350 at times.

Then invest the rest in shooting at a range of 300+ yards.

Still animal at 400 yards is doable. Chasing? not so much.

I'm on the .243 Win / 7-08 / .308 bandwagon.
You don't need the 'magnum'. Just get something with a better trajectory.

Ruger American, Tikka, Wby Vanguard, etc.

I'm on the same bandwagon but will add the .270 Win in the bolt action of your choice (my hunting rifles are Remington, Ruger and Browning A-Bolt).

I agree with everyone else not needing a 7mm magnum. I am partial to a 30-06 and have been using one for 50 years. I would recommend a Tikka T-3 mine is zeroed at 200 yds and shoots sub Moa at that distance.

The reason I prefer the 30-06 is that I can choose the bullet weight depending on the size of the deer and distance it is. I hunt with 2 magazines using the cheap Remington core-lokt in a 150 grain bullet and 165. If I see a large deer at a very long distance I choose the 165 grain bullet magazine and can adequately and humanely shoot a deer at 450 yds with over 1080 pounds of energy delievered at that distance, if closer you can choose the 150 grain bullet that delivers 1450 pounds of energy at 300 yds which is good on elk as well at this distance as is the 165 grainer with 1500 pounds of energy.
Other bullets will deliver more energy depending on what you choose.

What ever bullets they make for the 308 you can reload it on the 30-06 and it will shoot it faster as well.

I am not on a bandwagon. I will say again, caliber is your choice.

I will say this: my SIL had a 7 RM and he got rid of it. Reason: too much bloodshot meat loss. Granted that the central Texas white tails ain't the largest by a long ways, but that is the true reason for him not wanting it any longer.

While it’s not a 400 yard round, try looking at the Ruger American. I just bought one from a Buds in 7.62x39 for deer hunting in Indiana. They use Ruger Mini 30 mags, are very light weight and ammo is cheap. Around $400 plus scope, I put a Leopold 3x9 on mine, it’s a very good buy. They come in several calibers, but I just like the .30 Russian.

Pic a cartridge on a 7x57 case, a 308 case, a 30-06 case or a belted mag case and they will all work well. Figure out what you can spend and look at rifles, all rifle's you can find at that price and lower and find one you like and your good to go!

A rifle is simply a tool that launch's a bullet. There will be some that don't shoot as well and some that shoot better, you will never know one from the other till you jump in. Confine that to bolt action rifles!

My next planned purchase is a Ruger American Compact in .308.

They feel fantastic, and it fairly close to the Scout Concept if that's your thing.

Pricing is nice also!

The only Weatherby's I've ever seen I liked were the original ones with the wood stock. For $500 I'd grab that if I had the money and buy a wood stock for it!

Tikka t3 or Browning Xbolt, 3006 will do everything you want. 06 allows you a huge selection of factory ammo for any opportunities that come up.

Back