Bolt Action Carbine?

How about ten rounds of a "rifle" caliber, and we make it 200 yards.
I understand my rifle's limitations.

Are you a wagering man? "I Bet" I can beat ya...

You'll never know just how bad you'd loose that bet. As my gun holds 12 rounds you can slop rounds as fast as you like and I'll smoke you like a cheap cigar.
Go to a SASS Match and watch some real shooters with a lever action, many can match an AR at close range.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.

I know I can shoot 10 rounds through my '73 before you could shoot 5 rounds through a BA

tell that to any man that fired an enfield number 4 during WWII. the americans thought that the brits were issued autos because of the speed that they shot and I've personally witnessed 20 shots in under a minute into a 10 inch paper plate at 25 yards.

So hows about you two post links to videos of you doing it? With a shot clock. I would love it see it. I know I cant out do either of you but I would just like to see it...

reloads

A lever is not that easy to reload quickly for most folks, one at a time through the gate. The idea of being able to top the weapon off from loose ammo, say from a pocket, pouch, belt or bando seems attractive, no mag to loose is appealing to me anyhow. But, ...how often do you really shoot a 6-7 rd carbine, more for pistol cals, dry?

The jungle carbine, w/ strippers, is looking better and better if volume of fire is a requirement in bolt carbine. So too the Mosin carbine.

talent

There are some amazing videos on line of fast lever/Cowboy shooting. "Lead Dispenser" handle is no lie.

Dunno about the average guy? I may drag out the shot clock next day off and see what I'm fastest with, lever or bolt. A well run pump is no slouch either.

How bought chopping down a mosin to a legal size of course. The up sides are that mosins are cheap, the ammo is cheap, the 7.62x54r it a good hitting round, parts are cheap. The down sides is its quite a long gun an will require some cutting and possible wood work, it kicks pretty good especially with reduced weight, some of its ammo is corrosive (should not be a problem if you like cleaning ), and its five round capacity

You'll never know just how bad you'd loose that bet. As my gun holds 12 rounds you can slop rounds as fast as you like and I'll smoke you like a cheap cigar.
Go to a SASS Match and watch some real shooters with a lever action, many can match an AR at close range.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Now lets get on the same page. Right now, we seem to have an apples and oranges comparison going on between short stroke pistol caliber levers using "games" loads and rifle caliber bolt guns.

Do the comparison with rifle caliber levers, out to rifle caliber ranges, with a reload in the mix. That should give a more realistic comparison.

To make it even more interesting and realistic, you draw the rifle you shoot at random between the two, no choice. That will show how good "you" really are. ;)

Do the comparison with rifle caliber levers, out to rifle caliber ranges, with a reload in the mix.

Or, how about we turn that around? Do it with pistol caliber rounds at say 75-100yds? oh, wait, there are damn few pistol caliber bolt action carbines....

Wonder why that is...? There seem to be plenty of lever action ones...

For a century or so the accepted wisdom has been that as far as speed of aimed shots, its semi, pump, lever, then bolt, with the single shot lagging more than a bit behind.

However, the difference isn't as much as most think, when the shooter is well skilled with the gun. Generally, about 1 second slower for each action type. Not a hard and fast rule, by any means, but with equally skilled shooters, firing rifles of approximately equal weight and recoil that's what usually happens.

Now, for 5 shots, I'm confidant I'll smoke you like a cheap cigar if I'm shooting a Marlin .357 and you are shooting a 1903 Springfield. And the guy with the AR .223 will likely smoke me. So what?

Each class of rifle is built for a different use. I'll bet you'll get a better time through the streets of Monaco with your Porsche than I will with a Ford 3/4 ton pickup. But you won't be able to haul half a cord of wood in your Porsche...

The reason there are very few bolt action pistol caliber carbines is there isn't a market. Levers or semis just do it better, within the limitations of the caliber. Levers also have the nostalgia factor in their favor. Outside of the Rugers, there are no bolt guns with actions optimised for pistol length rounds.

And I got the impression from the OP that is what he was talking about, pistol caliber carbines.

I own a number of Rem 600 carbines, in calibers from .222 to .359 Mag. Fine little rifles. Also have Marlins in .357, .30-30, and .45-70. Also fine rifles. Each one does something better than the others. If you want the max ballistic performance from a carbine length gun, go with a bolt. If your needs can be well met with something less than the most powerful round in each class, a lever gun might just be the thing. And there are lever guns that will shoot the same rounds as bolts can. They just aren't usually done in carbine form, because by going shorty, you lose some of the performance.

Compare apples to apples (if you can find them), and brag on what you can do. But don't compare apples to watermelons, and brag one is better than the other, because you like the taste better.:D

Its all a matter of what floats your boat. Fortunatley, there's enough "water" for all of us.

Back