Bolt Action .22 New Vs Old

Emcon5, your experience with the 511 is highly out of character for that series. That is the first I have ever heard of a 5xx series that wouldn't shoot good. I wonder what was wrong with it.

I did have one time with my 512 when the bullets started flying. After checking, I found that the front stock screw had come loose. After tightening it back up, it resumed shooting great. Sometimes, it can be something very simple that makes a rifle go wonky.

Obviously no guarantee, but IMHO any of the guns in the Remington 51x series will be a good choice for a .22 rifle. They were good quality, accurate and reliable. The Winchesters of that era were also of high quality, so they would be fine also. Mossbergs were good, but definitely (again IMHO) second tier.

Jim

I pretty much agree with the above recommendations. If you like tube magazines, you can't go wrong with a Winchester M72, but the Remington 514 would be another good choice and so would the Savage M5. I would expect to pay about $175 for the Savage to about $350 for the Winchester, with the Remington going for about $250, assuming very good condition for each. If you're really patient, you might get lucky and find one at a local gunshop or pawn shop for less, maybe even an estate sale or auction. Good luck!

Find yourself an old Remington 510, 511 or 512...They will shoot circles around todays offerings at half the price.

I like Marlin 81. Got one from local shop's bargain rack for $75. It was so old that it doesn't have serial number. Wicked accurate.

-TL

Do your research.

Frequent rimfirecentral dot com.

I agree that older rifles should be investigated.

I went that route.

However, there are drawbacks:
  • No warranty.
  • Scarcity of accessories.
  • Scarcity of parts/magazines [depending on model].
  • Triggers that may not be smooth/crisp enough, and may not be easy to fix.

I, like you, am partial to tube magazines.

I went with a WesternField M842 from the 1960s. This is the Montgomery Ward 'house brand' for firearms, and THIS model was a Mossberg 346KA that was made for WesternField.

Mossberg has a large following for their bolt action rimfire rifles.

Check them out.

Good friend has a new CZ that is a real nice rifle….. Mine are a 1939 Winchester 69 and a '52 67A. I appreciate it when he lets me try his, but I'll be keeping' mine.

MJ

Back