Bolt a bit hard to work

Chris- You say resized cases give you some resistance?.How about ( if you can) Take a store round get the bullet out of it ( Kenetic Hammer) and Chamber that one. If it goes with no resistance ( as it should). You might be in line for a small base sizing die. I have had to get 2 of them already for stock rifles. Sometimes you just have a tight chamber, which is a good thing.

I would think the shooter/reloader saved new, factory, over the counter ammo from the beginning that would chamber and fire, I would think the same reloader would have save a few fired cases for reference. then I would think the shooter/reloader would use the fired case for reference when using a comparator when comparing sized cases with fired cases and with ammo he knew would chamber and fire.

Of course, all of that is out the window if the shooter/reloader is using a head space gage on a case. I use case gages, if I do not have one I make it.

F. Guffey

Guffy-All his rounds are firing, they just are giving him a issue chambering. This is why I ask about a store,unfired round with bullet removed chamber test. If he can conferm that it chambers easy, then we are done to his resizing. I only say ( get the bullet out of it) because I am not a fan of chambering a live round in a house with a weapon that is not functioning at 100%. This simple test will narrow the issue down to one problem. Then we can work on that problem.

Guffy-All his rounds are firing, they just are giving him a issue chambering. This is why I ask about a store,unfired round with bullet removed chamber test.

Explain that to him, I am the fan of transfers and standards, I make test rounds, I am not the fan of not having some way to guide the round into the chamber, the bullet in a case without a primer and powder does that. then there is that 'off the lands' thing, same thing. I am not the one that likes to start over 'a new' every day. And I am still the one that does not fire all the ammo, I save fired cases, and? I do not have head space gages for cases, I use case gages to measure the length of a case from the shoulder to the case head.

The comparator has always been a comparator.

F. Guffey

Not sure I follow you Guffy. To get a empty case to chamber is very easy, you simply guide it in with your finger. If that was the question.

I think the problem is the OP did not adequately describe what is happening. Does the bolt need force when the bolt picks up the round out of the magazine or when he tries to lock (Rotate) the bolt? "I have to push the bolt itself to feed from the magazine". What the heck does that mean?

I think the problem is the OP did not adequately describe what is happening. Does the bolt need force when the bolt picks up the round out of the magazine or when he tries to lock (Rotate) the bolt? "I have to push the bolt itself to feed from the magazine". What the heck does that mean?

Gunplummer - that's a difficulty of trying to diagnosis something online. You have only what the other person tells you. I had a similar situation where the other person finally mentioned that he was using reloads. I could throttle him at that point. Anyway, I didn't bother responding afterward.

If chris in va is using his own reloads and has problems with them but not with factory ammo, then it's his ammo and not the firearm.

Not sure I follow you Guffy. To get a empty case to chamber is very easy, you simply guide it in with your finger.

"you simply" Not me, I seat a bullet without primer and powder, if the problem has anything to do with feeding I think nothing of seating 5 bullets in 5 different cases 'and then' feed all one after the other.

"WHO KNOWS?" The problem could be the bullet. Closing the bolt with felt resistance is a very bad habit.

F. Guffey

Now you have lost me Guffy. Closeing the bolt with a empty case is what I am saying. This test will let you know if it is a case problem or a bullet problem. I do not mean close the bolt even if it is hard to close. If he chambers a sized empty case and the bolt closes hard- Its a sizing issue.

Guffy- I am starting to think you can't understand what I am saying. I have stated the same thing you are implying.

I am not the fan of not having some way to guide the round into the chamber, the bullet in a case without a primer and powder does that

This test does not pin point down if it is the case or the bullet that is giving you the issue. This is why I say- An empty case-NO bullet, just sized. Chamber it-See if bolt closes hard. If it does-Case issue, if it does not-Bullet issue.
Don't make this harder then it needs to be. Don't need no darn Gauge to do this test.
Next- If sized case makes bolt close hard-Get factory load,Remove Bullet and Powder. Chamber-If bolt closes hard- You have a tight chamber and 90% chance a small base sizing die will fix the problem. If it closes easy on store round- You have a Die Issue. WOW- All done and did not need $1000.00 worth of tools and Gauges.

Last edited:
Guffy- Not agreeing with me is what makes this forum so great. All different kinds of ideas, all different ways of doing things. I state what works for me, You state what works for you. Awesome Idea.:D

Back