Boar hunting caliber?

Using a .357 Mag on hogs is an iffy proposition. If you do try it, forget using hollow points, and go with the heaviest solid load you can find/make. Penetration is key. It is worth trying...but have backup.

A hot 10mm is a good choice, and .44 Mag is even better.

Again, never having hunted hog, I'd go for a "break it!" anchor shot so the critter doesn't get to have it's way with you.

Elk have a no ball-joint shoulder too, & so far, every shot through both shoulder blades makes 'em fold - on their face.

YMMV re pigs.

Any critter that may ever be out to add me their own list = I'd just as soon "break it" & you can always kill it after that ....

A goodly .308+ - or 12 ga slug should do it at close range - if the shot placement's there ....

Vang Comper,
A neck shot works just great the only problem is hogs really don't have much neck showing it's shoulders and then the head. kinda like some line backers I know. I have shot them in the neck however and that does the job quite nicley if you get the chance. If you shoot low and hit the tracheia well don't go to the bank with this but I think a hog just goes into alternate breath mode and runs for about 5 miles before he even slows down you gotta anchor em or may not ever find em. They can "aerosal" like no other animal, into thin air.

I might have the wrong channel, but is there someone wanting hog hunting information, or is this a history class? If the latter, I too have quotes. If someone here really needs/wants info for hunting wild hogs, I can say that a proper slug from a 12 GA. will do, but if you use a handgun/pistol, USE ENOUGH GUN, and the right bullet, and don't fire unless you have a good shot or unless you have to. I don't know the type hogs you plan to hunt. If they are feral hogs, don't worry, they most-times run when the see/hear/smell you. If they are Russian hogs, and depending on whether they are hunted, they will charge, and tend to be much larger than most other hogs, and as always, if there is a sow with young pigglets, beware, she will be more fiersome than the meanest boar. I have some expirience in hog hunting, large and small, so if anyone might need some info, please email me. I will get back to you asap. Lee

The 3"slug will do good on a 400 pounder. Another good choice would be the .45-70 with a good HARD CAST bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this thread is still going!

I think I'll go with the .357. Lots of good suggestions , but I don't quite have an armory to choose from.
1. S&W 686 .357
2. M1 Carbine (naah)
3. Mosin-Nagant/M44/8mmMauser (overkill)
4. 12ga. w/out rifled barrels
5. SKS (not acurrate enough to me)

So I guess I stick with the .357. I use the shotguns for bird hunting and never hunted with anything else.So I liked to give it a try. I see that alot of other people used them too.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

If you are forced to use a shotgun, do not use a leaded slug. I don`t care who makes it, when your looking down a 400 pound pig....it`s a whole new game. Lead shotgun slugs may pancake and cause shallow penetration over the shoulder and it will not break both sides either (12ga) use copper solids. I don`t know how many here have really faced off a 400 or larger Russian, but consider this. Shotgun will be fairly close range and if you are not in a blind off the ground......you may be in for a surprise. A male boar or large female can hit 30mph in just a few feet, brush and tangle is no match for them; they will go through it like a bullet. Tree climbing is a plus in this hunting. If you really see a 400+ and it is Russian.....it is a cross between domestic and Russian. Domestic gives it the weight and Russian gives it it`s nice friendly attitude (NOT!)

I have seen a many a man torn up by these brush monsters, dogs too. When in doubt, lay flat on the ground. Regards LTS

Buckshot isn't enough for a big one!

I shot a wild "feral" boar estimated to be 400 lbs. when a
teen. Took 3 shots of 12 gage buckshot at 20 yards to stop
him and another at point blank range to finish him off. What
really seemed to stop him was the load of shot that broke a
front leg. Believe I was using # 4B or # 1B. Perhaps # 00B
would have been more effective. If he had been 40 yds.
away I think he would have kept on running! Never used slugs
before so I can't comment on them.

if you have to use a pistol, from the list you presented, the .357 200 grain bullet on top of 12.0 grains of Win.296 is plenty safe in my Colt trooper III, so will also be in your 686. from a 4" pipe, they clock average 1170 fps inmine. You can use small magnum Win.,Fed., or CCI primers (I have with same load) no signs of over-pressure. Damn, either your pigs are smaller, or you are braver, I use the handgun for a "back-up only" and I have a 10mm with 15 rounds in the mag. Happy huntin' though, wherever you hunt. Try to do pics, I am gonna post pics if I get lucky and when I figure out how.

Well I've changed my mind. My boss came back from boar hunting in Ohio and said he shot one with a .50cal powder and it kept on running. His buddy finished it off with a .308. He shot another with 2 arrows and had to do the same.
I'd prefer the 8mm Mauser to the .357

I guess this thread shows the variables of hog hunting. Distance, size of hog, shot placement--there's no predictability. It's a lot better to use "too much" gun than not enough.

Another point is to be very selective in your shot. If it ain't "righteous", pass it!

:), Art

Back