Blunderbuss?

Guys, let me give you some golden advice.
DO NOT buy a gun with a so-so or questionable barrel.

Cheap lock? If it is very unreliable, or if parts break you go home aggravated. But you go home!

Bad wood and poor inletting? You may see splits develop. You may even get splinters in your hand. You will go home aggravated, but again you will go home.

Very poor quality castings? You may have cracks and voids in the butt plate and trigger guard, and the rod pipes may bend and work loose. Once again you will go home aggravated, but again you will still go home.

Bad barrel and/or breach plug?
You may not go home. You may go to the hospital.
And you may be going to therapy for a long time afterwords.

Now in fairness, I can't say I have ever heard of any of the Indian guns posted in this thread bursting, but I have heard about a few others in years past. So I am keenly aware of the fact that such things can and have happened in the past.

If you must get a low priced gun, do yourself a favor and buy a good barrel.

Even if you were to cobble something together that is embarrassingly poor in workmanship, it is still safe and no one will get hurt or killed by firing it. And the cost of a good barrel is not all that much higher than the cost of a cheap welded-pipe barrel that some of the imports have.

Guys, this is something you simply should not gamble with.

I have a bunch of old Jukars and Dikars and never had a problem with them, they are actually mentioned in "Percussion Revolvers" by Cumpston with some of the shooting data for the ones they tested.

Back