BLR in 325 WSM??

Something doesn't add up. What you are saying is that a 325 WSM has 40lbs of recoil and a 338 WM has only 30. How exactly does a 325 generate a third more recoil than a 338?

Recoil numbers are only rough approximations, until you specify the load used and the weight of the rifle.

And, even the precise energy numbers only give you a rough idea of what the recoil will feel like. Stock fit to you, and stock design change what recoil feels like.

Cherry pick the loads and the rifles and you can get numbers that while accurate, don't seem to add up. Shoot a 200gr bullet at 2800fps in a .30, .32, or .338 caliber and your raw energy numbers will be the same.

Now, factor in the rifle and it can change, depending on the rifles used.

shoot that .338 from a 9lb rifle, and the .325 from a 7lb rifle and you will get different recoil numbers.

I don't have a .325 WSM, not going to get one, no interest. Learned my lesson on other "proprietary" cartridges. Like the .350 Rem Mag...;)

My advice is that if you are getting a .325WSM (or already have one) go out (or order in) and buy a closet full of factory ammo. Enough to last your shooting needs for the rest of your life isn't unreasonable. Now, today, while its still "hanging on" and before it becomes virtual "unobtainium".

Forget the cost. That's a one time expense. And cheaper than it will be when the round is dropped by the ammo maker.

.325 WSM is a niche round. Nor is it alone in that, and I expect it to do what most other niche rounds do, enjoy a fair amount of popularity at first, then as time goes on, interest (and new sales) fades. Often to the point where the makers drop production of the guns, and eventually the ammo as well.

Or keep making small amounts of ammo on a "seasonal" basis. SO, stock up, now, while you can. Remember, even the finest rifles aren't worth as much if there's no ammo.

I know it’s not a BLR but I was browsing CDNN the other night and they had Winchester model 70’s in .325 wsm on clearance for $599. Don’t know if that’s a good deal or not, just a heads up.
That would be awesome--love the model 70's! CURSES on you! ;) I have too many other projects going on, a couple I wish I could sacrifice for this!

I had a buddy who passed away a couple of years ago who hunted almost exclusively with a .270 and .325 WSM in Abolt Stainless Stalker rifles. I saw him hammer a cow elk here in Colorado, and kill a wolf in Alaska with the .325 WSM.

Both of those rifles were extremely accurate with Federal ammunition that he used almost exclusively as well.

Recoil numbers are only rough approximations, until you specify the load used and the weight of the rifle.

And, even the precise energy numbers only give you a rough idea of what the recoil will feel like. Stock fit to you, and stock design change what recoil feels like.

Cherry pick the loads and the rifles and you can get numbers that while accurate, don't seem to add up. Shoot a 200gr bullet at 2800fps in a .30, .32, or .338 caliber and your raw energy numbers will be the same.

Now, factor in the rifle and it can change, depending on the rifles used.

shoot that .338 from a 9lb rifle, and the .325 from a 7lb rifle and you will get different recoil numbers.

I'm well aware of the influence of rifle weight on recoil numbers, and I suspect that the only way a 325 could generate a third more recoil energy than a 338 Mag would be if the 325 rifle was a LOT lighter than the 338 rifle. But that's a significant difference that should have been mentioned but wasn't.

The BLR IS a rather light rifle. I thought a friend's .308 was kind of a kicker, can't imagine an 8mm (.325) Winchester.
I have a 7-08 BLR and it's a wee bit of a kicker, though not really bad IMO--but imagine a thin rounded forend covered with slick glossy finish; it's a slippery fish holding steady. :D

My hunting partner shoots a BAR in 325 WSM, but it has a big muzzle break on the end. It is absolutely awesome. It's a light shooter.

This rifle has dropped hogs and deer in their tracks. I've thought about bolts in it, but idk if anyone is even making them right now! it's a beast of a round.

Back