Blaser R-93 Straight pull Bolt action

SD/Rob-
I've got a place about an hour north of SD, near Murphy, NC. Somewhere between you two. If you guy's are really into it, we might set up at time to meet there. I'm usually there once a month or so. My back yard is about 160 acres surrounded by National Forest....great shooting area.

I'll contribute a Steyr Scout to the experience and, if we can pull Mykl away from his fun and games, I'm certain he can come up with a toy or two. Might be fun.
Rich

Very cool idea. This has got to be a record. A forum is up for less than two weeks and we are already planning a get together!

My schedule is HELL, starting this thursday it is full time work (hehe read: hunting, T&E, Hunting, banquets, hunting, etc.) until at least the second week of Decmeber. BUT, I am working on a promotion with a guide in S.C., If it goes through, maybe we could plan around that? unless you guys are interested in joining me on a hunt with that guide service? discounts all around?

Now, I have to ask... Tell us about that Scout.. worth the $$ ?

Oh this is heart breaking....YES I WANT TO!
My wife and I are planning on moving to Greenville NC in January,

PLEASE PLEASE! LETS WORK AROUND IT!!!!!!
hahaha...If its planned ahead of time enough I will be MORE than happy to EVERYTHING in my power to be there! Unless its day trip range from Atlanta, after the holidays would be better for me...
Whats "that guide service" and what kind of discout? As I said my wife and I are moving, so we are trying to save as much money to move on as we can. But heck...how long are you going to be doing this Blaser Tour?

I just checked it out and Murphy is about 120 miles from me. This is definatly day trip distance. If Rob thinks its within range lets set it up!

WEll, it's not just the Blaser I am working with right now, but I'll be messing with it for at least the next year. of course, after march there won't be much use for it until next fall.

If this hunt happens it will probably be the second weekend in November. The only other weekend that might work for me and for the lodge would be the weekend before Christmas. but the hunting would be worse then.
The lodges advertised rates are $350/day the first time frame, $295 the second time frame, I'm not comfortable putting out a number now, but the discount would be significant. Those prices are for guides, 3 meals, overnight lodgeing the night before, dressing and cooling of the carcass. Also, they offer hog hunting in the afternoon at no additional fee if you get your deer in the morning. Buck or Doe are in season at those times.

OK, Rob you got me!
wink.gif
I haven't posted a review of the Scout for two reasons:
1) I've put less than 50 rounds thru it
2) I'm not qualified, as I've never considered myself a competent rifleman and have no formal training.

Hilton has briefly handled it. So has Mykl, who threatened to train me to use it while in ND a couple months ago. Unfortunately, there were too many people around, all of who wanted to follow us and shoot all the "neat" guns. We begged off with a look at each other that acknowledged our mutual understanding of an impending Cluster #@%!.

My initial impressions:
-More accurate than I am.
-Very light
-Very, very ergonomic with the butt pads stripped down to one.
-Great optics system in the forward mount design...oughta be considered on mid-range tactical pieces
-Outstanding out of the box trigger pull for a 90's production piece.
-Stiff bolt action....Cooper's also mentioned this in his commentaries as a relatively frequest complaint.

That's the most I can give you right now. If you ask Hilton to take it from me for a test drive, I assure you you'll receive one of the most comprehensive reports you could ask....Hilton's within an hour; Mykl's about 15 hours.

As for the hunt...count me in! Just give me notice so I can get up with Mykl for my remedial long gun training.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 10-21-98).]

I'm intrigued. But am not sure whether we're to be focused on a guided hunt, or a regular Shootinanny in the hills. As long as it happens before January, I'm in. Keep us apprised of the details as they develop.

I was just saying that my schedule is nuts and it would only work for me if we planned it around a hunt I am probably doing in S.C., then as an afterthought I figured maybe some of you guys might like to participate in the hunt. Neither activity is mutually _ex_ or _in_ -clusive.

Otherwise, SD and I are definitely on for a shoot-fest in January, on my way to or from the SHOT Shot, eh SD ?

Shot show is a possibility, but as I posted
a few posts ago...My wife and I are moving to Greenville North Carolina in January. So I dont know if I will be around for the shot show. (Thats why my heart was breaking!) It is likly that we will be going back and forth between Atlanta and Greenville during that time, so if possibly then by all means!

What are the dates for the SHOT show?
I'll make every effort to be here!
And I will make sure in advance so your not left out on a hook.

[This message has been edited by ShadedDude (edited 10-22-98).]

Okay - I will throw my hat in this one too.
I refrained from comment because I dont want to talk about something I dont know anything about.
I saw the link for Blazer's site and went snooping. Radial locking. This sounds interesting. As you guys may have figuered, I am a huge fan of German Waffens. I am also a huge fan of technology in general. And like peanut butter and jelly - you put german guns and technology together - You have a very pleased Kodiac. I get warm fuzzies thinking about things like that *sigh*. (Dont get me started on BMW motorcycle - or I'll need a smoke - and I dont smoke)
This Blazer rifle while it sounds good - reminds me of a certain odd little .22 I shot at a Boy Scout Camp I was instructing at. I think it was a Browning but I am not sure. It was called a T Bolt. This Blazer reminds me of a grown up T Bolt, with a twist. I didn't get those warm fuzzies about this rifle - I dont see just how advanced this is. The ability to swap barrels and calibers is nice - but then agian so could the Contender I had for a few weeks before I sold it off. This Blazer is like taking two old technologies and mixing them up together... and creating something new. I would have to spend some time with a Blazer before I could see owning one. I am very slow be willing to spend my own money on a new gun. I usually investigate the hell out of a piece and its maker before I buy it. Remington and HK are the only trusted companies for me. I will go ahead and buy a gun from either maker with no foreknowledge.
The Blazer does look interesting enough to warrent further research.

Ah yes...
I have the VP-70Z and LOVE IT.
Carried it for a time before I switched to the SIG P220... For caliber reasons only.
First successful polymer framed handgun.

Back when Gaston was making "Bigwheels"

TEASING - Dont Flame me! - Just TEASING

"To all the GUNs I've loved before...
All the guns whove come in and out my door..."
Sorry, you reminded my of a song I heard Willie Nelson singing. The VP has always stayed there.

SigArms called _me_ today to assure me that the rifle would be here before the November 1st cut off....
expect a report from the range just as soon as I can get a scope mounted on the sucker.

Back