Blanks

Gunplummer

Fairly new to black powder. Anybody ever work up something to shoot "Blanks" in a muzzleloader? Stick a wad in front or what?

Take care; it's still a projectile.

I was asked to fire off a salute-round during a flag raising ceremony at a scout camp. I knew that I better not fire a projectile but had to come up with something. So I jammed a ball of aluminum foil, on top of the powder. On cue, I fired off the round and it worked great. Then while everyone was saluting the flag. It started to rain small shreds of foil. It was distracting but it worked. I also know a cannon guy that loaded about half a pound of BP, down his bore and then pounded a soda can down the bore. Can't begin to share all the comments on that one. I left before he shot off the rest of the can. ....... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I use to make small newspaper balls and wrap them with (used) tinfoil. If you use paper, make sure there is no danger of a wildfire (or worse, burning your town down). As Hawg says, so long as the barrel is tipped slightly up, it will go bang without paper.

Paper is not allowed in battles in reenacting for safety reasons. It does make a very satisfying sound though. I use orange juice cartons for the wads for my 45-70 blanks. Occurs to me beeswax or something similar would work fine in cartridges.

Wax paper works good too, and is less likely to catch fire. From my experience (just about every 4th of July), you get a better bang with a wad, and you don't have to keep it elevated. As far as how much powder, 30 grains 2f and a bit of paper/wax paper crumpled into a ball pressed firmly on top won't disappoint. Of course, never shoot at anything you care about. Paper wads will go a good ways out, and faster than you'd think.

Just asking ???

Gunplummer
Forgot to ask but why do you have a need to do so. Most folks really don't have a need and in my case. I had to come up with a way of doing so, for a flag raising ceremony. Not a big deal, just wondering about the application. .. :confused:

Be Safe !!!!

4th of July off the porch. I have an extensive woods there, but don't want to use a ball or burn the woods down either. I see them used in parades and something is coming out.

Muzzle-up and Away.

4th of July off the porch
I fire off a few rounds on the forth and at least one on New-Years. I had some old 20Ga. shot-shells that I did not trust for hunting so I cut the shells and saved the shot for my Pedersoli 12Ga. I shoot the blanks and they are still loud enough for me. My house is close to the Mississippi and hopefully, the wad goes into the river. ...... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

From this description in the MSDS "Finished foam will support combustion if it is ignited by direct contact with an open flame or exposed to temperatures in the range of 600°F." Sounds like it is toxic also "Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Avoid breathing smoke. Firefighters should wear full protective NIOSH approved self- contained breathing apparatus." I would think it would also melt. If it does I would think it would leave a mess in the gun. I think I would use a paper wad.

Northwest Civil War Council safety rules. https://www.nwcwc.net/uploads/9/5/2/3/95238396/ncwc_safety_rules_january2016.pdf

Page 5 line K, Carbine and other shoulder arm hard-cased cartridges should conform to Civil
War specifications. Hard-cased ammunition is sealed only with compressed
Cream of Wheat, or with "crumbling" floral foam,” but not both. Hard-cased
crimped ammunition (metal or plastic) should not be reused to prevent potential
fragmentation.

Page 6 line ii, . Floral foam method: Chambers will be charged with the correct amount of
black powder for the caliber of pistol. “Crumbling” floral foam will be placed
over the powder and compacted.

Washington Civil War Association. http://www.wcwa.net/cabinet/data/safety rules (revised) 2014.pdf

Page 3 line 3 under pistols. Rifle loading is same as pistols.

3. If foam wadding is used, it must be composed of a substance which easily crumbles between the fingers (I.E.: Florist's
Foam). Styrene (I.E.: disposable cups and meat trays) and hard Styrofoam are not acceptable and are therefore prohibited.
Paper wads, cloth wads, wax and "Wonder Wads" are also prohibited.

For shotguns, I use an overshot card over a normal powder charge. Makes a satisfying boom and works quite well for killing wasp nests. Just hold the muzzle about 1 foot away from the wasp nest and pull the trigger and the nest and all the wasps no longer exist.
Real black powder works much better than substitutes for blank loads.
Overshot cards are extra thin cards, about the thickness of cereal box cardboard that keep the BB's from rolling out of the barrel in a shotgun.

Nope!! ever found a need too. My shoot'in: Only those real McCoy loadings.
I don't believe there has ever been a civil war reenactments this far North of the Mason Dixon. S~o "No posers here shooting b/p Blanks that I know of for the last 3/4 century."

"...sealed only with compressed Cream of Wheat..." Like porridge thick enough to stop a bullet? snicker.
You need something in front of the powder to keep it in place. Exactly what depends on what you're doing. As I recall, there are proper 'blank' loads in the Lyman BP manual. Worth having and reading for BP FNG's anyway.
"...Yellow Jackets maybe..." Not them either. Yellow Jackets eat meat.
"...half a pound of BP..." Big bore? Buddy of mine used a foam cup as a powder measure and plain paper towel wadding with a golf ball sized bore cannon, long ago. Flipped the thing right over backwards on the first shot.

Back