Blackpowder rifle

Mukremin

Inactive
I am new to the forum. I live in the Netherlands, i don't know if there are any members from outside America :)

I just got into collecting rifles. It is not easy in Holland to do this since all kind of guns are illegal. I have two mausers which are legal because they are made unclear according to the laws. However, i bought an old rifle, i think mid 19th century which i failed to identify. Could you help me with it? See pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/lKtOSGb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AfrR13Q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/I7CDlFi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W6zRkqZ.jpg

That is not a good thing then... Damn, was happy i had a good rifle. So is it possible to identify the parts? And with the current state, would it be able to fire?

For now, I see a wall-hanger.

That is not a good thing then... Damn, was happy i had a good rifle. So is it possible to identify the parts? And with the current state, would it be able to fire?

I suggest you do a more detailed inspection before attempting to fire. I am seeing more than one red-flag. Looks like a large bore musket and to not think it's military. Then again, on your last picture, I see what looks like a bayonet lug. Check the bore for rifling and rust. I'm going to bet that you will not like what you see. Then pull the lock and check to internal surface of the plate for any information. Do the same on the barrel and check the underside. You can also pull the buttplate for any stampings. Eventually, if you are comfortable in doing so, take it to a Gun Smith for further inspection. … :confused:

Sorry and;
Be Safe !!!

So we are safe to assume it maybe is a hunting musket not for military purposes. I think i will not attempt any firing since i do not have the experience. But will try to clean it a bit.

Bayonet lug? There is a loading stick there which I can pull out.

Is it possible an expert has pulled this musket together? What name does this type of rifle has?

Old muzzle loader really need to be checked to see if they have been left loaded from years ago . I have heard of old guns that where found having a complete load on top of the first load . Good pictures

That's what its called? A muzzle loaded musket?
I saw a guy on YouTube cleaning the barrel with water first. Perhaps I should start with that first.

For the experts here, i can post more pictures from certain angles or parts if needed.

The stock needs major repairs before you attempt to fire it. The muzzle looks like it was cut off with a hacksaw. The drum and nipple look blacksmith made. It might be possible to identify the barrel if you could get it out of the stock but you'd probably have to cut those barrel bands to do so.

It sounds like you have as much experience as I do with these rifles. I have none so I would try to find a relic or antique fire arms expert to help me figure it out. I think it's one of those cases where hands on inspection by an expert is best. I would not shoot it unless an expert was willing to and I could watch from a safe distance. Just my thoughts.

Belgium was still making muzzle loaders in the 1950s for the African trade. I have one such gun that has a schutzen buttplate, back action lock with a separate plate for the frizzen and frizzen spring. It has a crude brass buffalo head (with horns) tacked onto the forearm. What an oddity.

Wall hanger haha that is a good one. Unfortunately that may be the fate of this gun.

Naah, i won't fire unless like you guys said to let an expert check it first.

Will try to search for numbers or names by removing some parts. Hope i can assemble it back.

Thank you so much for the assistance guys.

There is still some life and history to value

I have none so I would try to find a relic or antique fire arms expert to help me figure it out.

I am not aware of anyone in this forum that is an expert. Just a bunch of good guys with a truck-load of experience. We have gotten our fingers in the mouse trap more than once and just willing to pass our experience on to fellas like yourself. Safety is our primary concern. ….. :)

I have brought a number of wall-hangers back to life. I have also deactivated a small number for fear of someone potentially getting hurt. They become parts-guns. For now, if this piece was cleaned up, it would make a very nice wall-hanger, so don't give up on it completely. I once found a small compass in the buttstock of an old M/L and a name was scribed on the base. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

I agree with Gary, it looks like a trade gun cheaply made for sale to natives in overseas colonies. It is in poor condition with cracked stock and rusty metal. I am not going to say it is safe to fire, I would not. Maybe Pahoo could restore it to operation.

If you paid much money for it, the seller was taking advantage of your inexperience and a restricted market.

Sorry.

I think i will stick to cleaning it a bit and adding it to my collection of non functional weapons. Not going to give up yet :)

I don't even know if it's Dutch made, perhaps Belgian not sure. It makes sense though that it could be cheaply made to export to natives. Thanks for all the help and support.

One more question, by purely looking at it. What period would you rate it was built? And what exact period were these kind of muskets used?

I paid 80 euro for this piece.

The price was about right for the shape it's in. IF it was made as a complete gun it could have been made anytime from the mid 19th century up until the first part of the 20th. My WAG would be from 1850-1880. If it was made out of parts as I suspect your guess is as good as mine as to when it was done.

red tape

I see that red tape on pics of a variety of firearms coming out of the middle east,........any chance your rifle was purchased from a vet from the recent trouble, who may have seized it as a war trophy?

Sure there's red tape everywhere, but that seems much like the tape from that region......apparently so common on firearms there.

Back