Blackhawk Barrel Length?

I am thinking on it as an investment so what do you think would resell best if they discontinue the Blackhawk?
TODAY, you can get a Super Blackhawk in several barrel lengths, with or without a fluted cylinder and with the Dragoon, or regular triggerguard. And you can get it with or without scope rings. And, in stainless too!
Certainly sounds like something destined to fail, and go out of production!:eek::D

Targa, i'd like to see something like that too. Years ago, I had two 7.5" SBHs cut to 5". Sure wish I hung on to at least one of those;)

Bottom line is, unless you reload, either 44 Mag or 45 Colt is an expensive proposition to shoot. On top of that, if you don't want to put up with the recoil of 44 Mag, 45 Colt is available in cowboy loads many places. 44 Mag is not. Of course you can always shoot 44 Specials out of a 44 Mag, but try finding 44 Special ammo at your local gunshop.

HSM and Ultramax both offer .44 Magnum ammo in cowboy action loadings. Although, if cost is a factor, you should still consider getting into reloading.
Black Hills only has cowboy .44 Specials in its lineup, but they'll chamber and shoot out of a .44 Mag.

I'm a fairly enthusiastic gun nut. Like Drifty I prefer the .45 Colt to the .44 mag and I don't dress up like Howdy Doody or any of that stuff.

There is no need to be making disparaging remarks about any shooting discipline here. The antis love to see us snipe at each other. And don't call me Drifty.

HSM and Ultramax both offer .44 Magnum ammo in cowboy action loadings. Although, if cost is a factor, you should still consider getting into reloading.
Black Hills only has cowboy .44 Specials in its lineup, but they'll chamber and shoot out of a .44 Mag.

Yeah, but try finding that stuff in your local Mom and Pop gunshop.

Actually, a .44 Magnum loaded with a compressed load of FFFg black powder is an awfully sweet shooting load, with about the same power as a .44 Special. I wouldn't shoot it in a double action revolver though, best used in single action revolvers where you can pull the cylinder pin and remove the cylinder for a complete post shooting gun cleaning.

I have also used .433 roundballs with a case load of BlackHorn 209 in a .44 Magnum. About 23 grains by weight powder charge. This resulted in about 1100 fps measured on a chronograph around 10 ft away using a 6" S&W Model 29. Very pleasant to shoot and ought to be devastating on small game.

This is a cowboy 44 Mag:

J.P Sauer & Sons Montana Marshall
WP_20161110_001%204.jpg

Hawes Western Marshall (Sauer also)
WP_20170402_001.jpg

Both bear 6" barrels.

Back