Blackhawk .45C/.45 ACP

Thank you so much, Denis!

And the Blackhawk it shall be! I plan to shoot easily 90% ACP loads through the gun. I was hoping to use the Redhawk as an "all purpose" revolver and was considering the double action capability as important in the use as a defensive revolver, but really the single-action Blackhawk would still be fine in this role I think. I recall that member Bob Wright carries a single-action revolver as I'm sure to others. Besides, that's not the most important thing, as this will mainly be a range and fun gun as well as for trail defense against predators and I think a single-action would be fine for that.

To dispel any question of accuracy of the .45 ACP cylinder in the Ruger Blackhawk, here are some targets I fired using the .45 Xtra Short fired in the ACP cyhlinder:

And:

True, these are not .45 ACP rounds, but are the same length and dimensions except for having a rim. Loading data is the same.

Bob Wright

I have had mine for five years or so. It has a 7.5" barrel. It is very accurate with either cartridge. Since my FiL reloads 45acp and does not reload 45colt, I shoot 45acp out of it 95% of the time. It is a terrific revolver and I highly recommend it.

RugerBlackhawk45_zps07fdb39d.jpg

It is so refreshing to hear of far better performance of ACP loads in the Blackhawk convertibles!

Now all I need is that 5.5" blued job, full frame size as I plan to buy some Buffalo Bore thumpers for it. I'll probably have the grips switched out to some aged faux ivory ones, smooth with no "screaming chicken" logo on them! And then either a holster and cartridge slide, or a whole gun belt rig with cartridge loops.

I'm looking for a "practical modern cowboy" setup with this Blackhawk. More rugged and durable than a Colt's, you bet. Able to take the big boy loads as well. Those Buffalo Bore "Deer Grenade" 260 grain medium cast hollow points at about 1500 FPS from this gun would be good medicine for man or beast, and Federal HST standard pressure 230 grain .45 ACP loads would perform nicely as well with less recoil.

My mind is spinning with the possibilities! I am expecting a large payout from work this month and should have my new Blackhawk in hand in not to much time. I see the model I want isn't super common but a couple of places have them in stock as we speak.

Guys I'll have a lot of questions (as I always do!) as I'm new to the single-action Blackhawk world. Things like aftermarket grips, good holsters, and other questions might be asked later on!

Thanks so much for the continued support here. The knowledge I've received from you all is beyond valuable. I want to thank you for helping me grow as a shooter! :)

As repeatedly mentioned in numerous threads, the Convertible Red & the Convertible Black are two entirely separate animals.

The problem with ACP accuracy in the Red lies in shooting a short ACP round through a long Colt chamber, IN THE SAME CYLINDER.

With the Blackhawk using TWO SEPARATE CYLINDERS, one for Colt & the other properly set up for ACP, completely different situation, and the Blackhawk WITH ITS DEDICATED ACP CYLINDER will shoot ACPs just fine.

The Convertible Black has been around for many years, and it is no more ammo-sensitive in its ACP cylinder than it is in its Colt cylinder.

Just don't expect both short & long .45 ammo to shoot to the same point of aim, you'll need to adjust the sights.
Denis

Denis

Nice post.

One of the many things I like about Ruger is the online support they have. Here's a link to the Ruger site showing disassembly and reassembly of the Blackhawk. If you want to take it all the way apart and smooth off some surfaces here's your guide to disassembly and reassembly.

Note: Ruger's video took it slow and step by step and reassembled a Blackhawk in about 10 minutes. I was able to manage it in about four hours but DID get it together so I'm guessing almost anyone can do a Blackhawk.

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

Very nice Bubba Blades!

Guys for Christmas I want the Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" bbl blued .45 Colt with .45 ACP cylinder and custom aged ivory grips and a pancake holster and a matching cartridge slide and a box of Deer Grenades!!! :)

Thanks santa!! :D

I have one but the cylinders were both undersized and required reaming to get them up to .452. If you shoot jacketed only it would be no worry but if you want to shoot lead its important. After reaming the cylinders it shoots very well with 45 Colt and 45 ACP lead bullets. Most accurate load is 45 ACP and 200 gr LSWC with 4 grains of Bull's-eye. I love the gun and wouldn't worry about throat size if I were you. I bought the reamer and pilots and reamed the throats myself but for far less money you can have it done IF it needs it. I'll never get rid of mine. Great gun.

Mike

Attachments

• 45 ACP LC.jpg
    45 ACP LC.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 20
I purchased a 45 ACP cylinder for my Liberty BH & have been very happy with it. It shoots better than I. The target below I can't repeat on demand but the little sixgun can.

Model12Win: You have IMHO made a great choice in choosing a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC & 45ACP. But shoot your gun for a while and look at the different Holsters and Belts and entire the entire Gun Belt Rigs with Cartridge Loops and Holster rigs that are available to you. What I am saying is know for sure what You want before You buy. Or You will not be satisfied. Again IMHO buy a good rig from a Named Company when You buy and you won't be disappointed, and they will help you buy the right Size & Fit. There are some really great Company`s available to You, that make some outstanding leather products. And You and Your Ruger deserves a Gun Rig that You're proud of.
Good Luck To You:
ken

I bought one of the Linsey's limited edition stainless 5 1/2" Flattops that came with both cylinders. To date I haven't fired a single .45 Colt round through the gun. Its a great performer with .45 ACP, and since rounds are ejected one at a time with the ejector rod there's no need to keep track of moon clips.

I too wanted the new Redhawk when I first saw it, but the .45 ACP performance has kept me from buying one. Right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Ruger may one day do a .45 ACP only version of the gun. It will likely never happen, but one can dream.

Thanks guys! Still on the lookout for a new Blackhawk .45 convertible in blued with 5.5" bbl. Ruger must be between runs, they aren't available anywheres. It's okay because I just bought a Hi Power.

I will be the fly in the ointment.....

If you want a dedicated 45 ACP why not just buy one?

It is not as simple as 44 Magnum/Special or 357/38.

Back