black vs. smokeless

To many of us the advantages are the pure enjoyment of using a technology that places us closer to nature than the more modern cousins can.

For example:
I enjoy Archery, bow hunting, & muzzle loading mostly because it makes me become more patient & much more closer to nature because I try to get that closer shot, kinda like our fore fathers done before us & it make me hope that I like my fore fathers have not lost the knowledge of a true hunter stalking & or calling our prey to our terms for that shot & to our table.

What is the advantage of a muzzleloading shotgun over a centerfire?
Smoke.
Hand tailored loads while you shoot.
Smoke.
Recoil is more push than shove.
Smoke.
Style.
Smoke.
Did I mention smoke?

By Hawg Haggen:
Smoke.
Hand tailored loads while you shoot.
Smoke.
Recoil is more push than shove.
Smoke.
Style.
Smoke.
Did I mention smoke?

Well said.

But you might have mentioned the smoke - some people like it.

Pahoo, I deer hunt with a TC omega, which is as far from tradtional as i can get I think. I was looking at a TC encore with a camo muzzleloading shotgun barrel.

TCman, It's getting harder to make the measure or cut, between what is traditional and what is modern. I like TC products and hunt with a Black Diamond which is one generation back from the Omega and farther from a traditional than yours. Why ???; Black Diamond uses a "Striker" and the Omega uses a hammer And yet, I use a musket primer and you "Have" to use a 209. However, I also hunt with my "Old School" Hawken and get more personal satisfaction hunting with it. In preparation for deer season, I hunt Saber-Toothed squirrels with my .32 Cherokee with all the field gear. Think it's not very productive when modern and traditional shooters put down each others choice. Whenever I teach, I teach both as I like them and thank goodness they will be around for a long time.

I never tell a man what to do with his money or his wife.

1. They are unlikely to ever be "banned".

2. Ammunition (powder, wads, shot and solid ball) can be homemade if needed and so will always be available.

3. You are much less likely to be mistaken for a terrorist or "Rambo" wannabe when toting a flintlock shotgun. (Although even a flinter shotty could be tacti-cooled with a folding stock, flash hider, bipod, quad Picatinny rails, night-vision sniper scope, etc. I suppose. ;))

i don't have a black powder shotgun. i do have a bp rifle i love the smell and the cloud i get shooting it. i have some questions about the bp type shotguns though.

1 do you carry loose shot pellets in a pouch ? what size(s)?
2 do you have to put a wad above and below the pellets?
3 can they shoot as far as a modern shotshell?
4 do they make double and single barrels models? or only one type?

thanks

rem870hunter said:
i don't have a black powder shotgun. i do have a bp rifle i love the smell and the cloud i get shooting it. i have some questions about the bp type shotguns though.

1 do you carry loose shot pellets in a pouch ? what size(s)?
2 do you have to put a wad above and below the pellets?
3 can they shoot as far as a modern shotshell?
4 do they make double and single barrels models? or only one type?

(1) A few that I know that has a Muzzle Loading Shotgun do but I do have a friend that carries the shot in a few speed loader tubes "premeasured & ready to go." my 2 friends mostly use #8 or #2 depending on what they are shooting at.

(2) yes, to make the the shot as efficient as possible.
To load a ML Shotgun first ofcorse you load the powder.
Then a over powder card, & a cushion wad.
Load the Shot of your choice.
Over shot wad, maybe 2 depending on your load.
Lastly prime.

(3) that is a good question because most modern shotguns are only good out to 40-50 yards MAX with the right loads & that is with knowing what the particular gun will pattern the best, I'm sure that a ML Shotgun will be as efficient.

(4) You can get a ML Shotgun in either single shot, side by side & over under design & with different choke options.

Last edited:
sounds very interesting. thank you for the info. using #8 or #2 shot, i am guessing small game and maybe waterfowl hunting is all they are used for? or does anyone use buckshot for deer in a M L shotgun? hey but imagine the look you might get at the trap range with a bp shotgun. :) i'll have to look into getting one just for kicks.

rem870hunter said:
sounds very interesting. thank you for the info. using #8 or #2 shot, i am guessing small game and maybe waterfowl hunting is all they are used for? or does anyone use buckshot for deer in a M L shotgun? hey but imagine the look you might get at the trap range with a bp shotgun. i'll have to look into getting one just for kicks.

The #2 shot is good on Turkeys too but I prefer BB's for them.

Now as far as using Buck shot, I guess it'd be a great load for those ML Shotguns but most areas around here that allow ML rifles during the regular gun season & I've never seen any one do that around here but it would turn heads.. :D

Some people use #2 or #8; I've used 4, 6 &7 for both upland birds and waterfowl also. Lots of flexibility with a muzzleloader.

Never used buck for deer, however. I thought we'd gotten beyond that.

Never used buck for deer, however. I thought we'd gotten beyond that.

Buckshot is good out of a short barreled gun in dense woods where any shot you get is going to be quick. I've gone in when they weren't moving and jumped them up off their beds.

Back