Black vs Pyrodex

Yeah, most people I see recommend 3F. I use GOEX BP and they recommend 3F for pistols. Heck I see some swear by 2F for pistols because they use it with their rifles. I'll leave the 4F for flash pans or the pocket pistols as you say.

It's too bad Lyman hasn't produced a 3rd edition of their Blackpowder Handbook. I'd love to see the pressure differences with the older more common powders along with Swiss or Olde E and T7. All it contains is standard Goex, Elephant, and Pyrodex.

Boy, my head is spinning from information overload. When you pour a bucket of information over someone's head, most of it ends up on the floor. Just kidding! I can handle it!
First, Rod, thank you for the link to cartridge cases as dippers. I have a replica '51 Navy in .36 cal. which calls for 22gr of black or 17 gr of Pyro. Turns out the .38sp case holds exactly 17gr of Pyro. Up until now I've just been eyeballing the charges, maybe that's why the accuracy has been so dismal. Granted those are crude sights and my aging eyes are failing, but somehow a scope on a '51 Navy doesn't seem right. From here on in, I'll use a .38sp case to drop those charges.
Anyway, I've got nearly a full can of Pyrodex and I'm gonna use it even though most of you folks don't care for it - a dirty, sticky mess. But I'd sure like to get my hands on some real black. I'm about 20 miles from Williams Gunsight in Davison, MI and it's been suggested they may have it. I'll call there in the morning to see. Bass Pro is about 10 miles from here and they have Triple 7. But one of the links I followed said that T7 is a relatively inefficient propellant, leaving behind close to 50% of its mass as non-combusted, solid residue. But that 50% unburned material is substantially less fouling than black powder for the simple reason that a 100 grain volumetric charge of Triple Seven, though it produces more energy than black powder, is far less by actual weight. More directly stated, you still have about 50% of the garbage left, but you start with less garbage to burn in the first place.
See why my head is spinning? I want BLACK!!!
Oh, and Mr. Smoke, ya, Hesperia is a bit of a hike for me - 200 miles to be exact. But you know what? If I have to I'll spend a day driving over there for some. Of course my gasoline bill will prolly be more than Hazmat fees. Sheesh!

I know it does you no good, but Hesperia is only 30 minutes north of
me. Hesperia is an old farming community and I've spent many summers
up there on my aunt & uncles farm. But anyway a call to them may not
be bad. On another note, At one time there was/is an Ace Hardware in
Grand Rapids that carried real black powder...Ryles Ace hardware ?

Back