Black powder walking cane guns

Capp35

My uncle recently passed away and left me a few things.

One of the items was a box of 3 seperate walking can guns made by a company called Griffon. I believe they were manufactured in 1982.
They have half circle wooden handles and fire .36 cal (.375) round balls,
using No.11 percussion caps to ignite a charge of 13 grains FFF black powder.

Paperwork says it shoots with sufficent force to penetrate three 1" pine boards.

They have never been fired and have all the paper work with them. Anyone know what they would be worth?

Do they still make these? I can find no info on them.

Thx!

I have this posted on four different websites and no one seems to know anything.
Maybe I should try putting them on Gunbroker. Would I get more selling them each or as a set of three?

Pictures might help.
Do the papers say who made them?
Being a recent manufacture they strike me as novelties, not antiques.
Probably not worth very much.

I'm wondering how they get away with calling it a non-NFA item. Usually cane guns fall under the "any other weapon" concealable clause.

Not a muzzle loader. It is a screw breech. Some pistols, poker table types, were made this way.
As far as being non-NFA, I would have a good lawyer read the fine print in the law. It really is a breech loader even though it is from the muzzle loader era.
Don't get caught at an airport with it. :eek:

Muzzleloader + 2

WOW,
Can see this post is going to get some nice action. Notice that no FFL is required at the buyer's end. By my measure, it is still a muzzleloader, regarless of the barrel. Not only that, it's also an In-Line. .. :eek:
Also notice that the seller is llisting this as a breech loader. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I don't know who decides these things officially.
But, it loads from the breech end. In my books that makes a screw breech/screw barrel gun a breech loader.
Pahoo, for future reference, please note: A muzzle loader loads from the muzzle end. :rolleyes: (am I in trouble now?)

Yes.
The various screw barrel pistols of conventional style like the Queen Anne are treated as muzzleloaders because they do not use fixed ammunition.
Even an 1859 Sharps goes under muzzleloader rules.
I think this cane gun does too, but you might get hassled anyway because of its covert appearance.

(am I in trouble now?)
Hardly and won't go to the matt on this one. You are fine. .... :)

Pahoo, for future reference, please note: A muzzle loader loads from the muzzle end.
Got it and it's obvious that this is the first breech end loading' muzzleloader you have ever seen. There are many examples in the evolution of modern firearms that were purposely made this way. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
While it might be classified as muzzle loader that doesn't touch the NFA rules; a 1890's Maxim MG is a non-firearm antique under normal rules but nevertheless a NFA weapon.

Hmmm, i wonder if this falls under the same exception that allows the "Howdah Hunter" double-barrelled BP shotgun with the super short barrels. I would hate to have to explain one of those to an LEO.

it's obvious that this is the first breech end loading' muzzleloader you have ever seen

Pahoo, if enough liquid lubrication were present, I'm sure you and I could have a real go at it around a campfire.
I have seen, and know a bit about early 'back end' loading guns of the muzzle loader era. The arguments over the Ferguson will never end either.
But, still, if it needs to be loaded from the front/muzzle it is a muzzle loader.
If it loads from the rear end, it ain't. Kinda simple concept, really.

But, still, if it needs to be loaded from the front/muzzle it is a muzzle loader.
It is loaded from the front and as far as lubrication around the campfire, I'll pass for now as my old Navy training dictates. ... ;)

I'm sure that the state of Iowa and the NMLRA can rest easy knowing that one of their instructors knows which end is up. .... ;)

Now, as O'riely would say; "I'll let you have the last word"

Be Safe !!!

A gun is considered an antique if it doesn't use fixed ammunition, whether it loads from the muzzle or not.

Jim

Back