Black powder small game

Hawg,

When I was considering it, I didn't think about the choke causing problems until you pointed it out to me. At the time, it just sounded like a good cheap option. I also thought about loading the shells with BP, but I think that could get expensive in a hurry. With the cost of BP and the substitutes being 25 bucks a pound or so and I doubt you can get many shells out of that pound. There doesn't seem to be many options without spending a boat load of coins.

Noelf2,

Dave Canterbury is where I got the idea. I love watching his videos. I know he's TV personality, but I still like some of his ideas. He has the funds to buy what he wants though. He's still a very talented individual in my book.

Last edited:
I don't get wanting to use a breech loader as a muzzle loader. If you want to use bp just load shells with it. That way you don't have to deal with the choke trying to load from the muzzle.

Yeah I know. That's why I mentioned brass shells in it too, but, he was asking about percussion or flintlock (I think).

When I was considering it, I didn't think about the choke causing problems until you pointed it out to me.

IMHO, it's not that big a problem. I use a double barrel 10 gauge muzzle loader shotgun that has screw in chokes. I use felt wads and they will spring right back to their normal dimensions when you get past the choke. If you find them after shooting, you can re-use them. You can also use paper or wax paper wads that, once you squish them on the powder or over shot, will spread out and work fine. It's the vegetable fiber wads and Nitro card (hard paper cardboard) wads that will get distorted going through a choke. I don't use those except for in shot shells and in cylinder bore guns.

With the cost of BP and the substitutes being 25 bucks a pound or so and I doubt you can get many shells out of that pound. There doesn't seem to be many options without spending a boat load of coins.

Use Pyrodex for your shells, and get it after hunting seasons from places like WalMart when they are practically tossing the stuff out for a song. Last year I got a couple jugs for $9 each, and a jug of triple 7 for $11. The year before that I got about 6 jugs of Pyrodex RS for $10 each. I don't care what price they dump it for after this season. I have too much. You can shoot pretty cheap, if you want to.

Noelf2,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize they sold it cheap after the hunting season.!If I see it, I will buy up all I can find.

Hawg,

Sorry, I wasn't comparing apples to apples. What I meant is that loading BP shotshells was more expensive than buying a box of regular shells off the shelf. I can get 12g shells for 5 bucks, however they ain't high brass quality shells.

Back