Black powder for deer?

Between my friends and family we have hunted with 8 or 10 BP guns of various make. My personal experience with CVA is that all 5 or 6 of them were very accurate with the right load. For the price they are hard to beat. The other brands are also good but more $. If you can find one of these in your budget get one instead of CVA: Modern Muzzle loading(knight), Remington 700 ML, Thompson Center.

Remember that every rifle will have a favorite bullet. Try several if your first bullet is not as accurate as you expected. Some of our hunting party's guns love powerbelts, some not so much. Just because a few people on the internet say a model won't shoot it does not mean your gun of the same model won't.

in 2000 i got back into muzleloader hunting. Bought a .50 CVA StagHorn for $85 at Wal-Mart. That cheap gun shoots better than my expensive Encore. It has accounted for about 20-30 deer and a hundred or two wild hogs.

Apparently know-one so far on this thread knows who made that Rogue model you were looking at. If your really interested in that particular rifle. Just go back to wallmart for another look. (perhaps a different Wallmart store altogether may work out better for you)

Since the gun laws have recently changed in your State. (Connecticut) I have no other advice to offer.

S/S

I have a Traditions Persuit, and Its very accurate, but I bought my Father in Law a CVA for Christmas and I like it better, the CVA wasnt much over 200 at a Wallmart Store in Lousiana.

First off I just think I should say I'd go flint or caplock for your first BP rifle(I'm not much of an inline guy). That doesn't mean you shouldn't go inline. I'm just old school.

I do think .50 cal is a good all around caliber in terms of cost vs fire power vs accuracy. Can't go wrong there.

I also own 8 CVA's, both rifles and pistols. The only ML's I own that will out shoot them are custom made with Green Mountain barrels and they cost substantially more. CVA's not a bad choice.

Boomer

I have both traditional cap lock and inline. I think the inline is better. The cap lock is not as reliable and much more difficult to clean

I have an omega z5 in .50 and it works like a champ.
I also use powerbelt bullets, since we can't use sabots to hunt in Colorado, but i found that I had to back off from 105 gr of buckhorn 219 to 95 to get decent groups.

6-8" all day long with irons at 100 yards is minute a deer enough for me! Very consistent.

Shooting round balls with patches in that gun is a waste of time.

Back