Black Hawk Down

As someone else posted, I suggest you take a good training course from Paul Howe:

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com

Paul, was there, and is quite extensively quoted in the book. After hours, he can give you a great debrief on the incident and you will learn the "truth." Not some trumped up book selling deal of it.

Non multa sed multum

Black Hawk Down
Anonymous

"Black Hawk Down!" across the net came the cry
A wisp from the ground brought fire to sky
Two hundred heads turned in that moment so clear
Yet not a first thought their own lives' fear.

Pilot, soldier, sailor, crew
Hell's fire below meant nothing to you
Yet into the maelstrom only two could leap
Against oppression fury they would reap

I can still see them coughing against the desert sand
Fearing naught, an upraised hand
Gesturing towards the fallen, neither haughty nor proud
They disappeared quickly into the rising cloud

Nothing further could I offer, they doubtless knew
As towards the injured with wings they flew
Through smoke, through fire, and failing light
Two soldiers together entered a selfless night

They gave without asking
A reward never known
They sacrificed freely
And our brother came home.

Thank you.

As someone else posted, I suggest you take a good training course from Paul Howe:

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com

Paul, was there, and is quite extensively quoted in the book. After hours, he can give you a great debrief on the incident and you will learn the "truth." Not some trumped up book selling deal of it.
Eh, the movie came more or less straight from the radio transmissions and it matches up well enough with the news article I posted above (which later became the book as I recall), so I'd wager the book was fairly accurate. What differences are you referring to?

someday I need to hunt down the email of the differences between the movie and what actually happened that I used to have.

Wasn't arguing the book. The book is fairly accurate, with a few minor exceptions. However, the movie, again according to Paul Howe, is not nearly close to the truth. Again, this isn't coming from me, a news article, or anything else. It is coming from a man who was there.

And the review I had read was from someone flying the supply helicopters commenting on the changes in dialog. His review was that aside from cutting back the number of people, the dialog was fairly accurate as to what was really said.

But like I said, wish I could find that email that summed it up.

The cheesy, dirtbag, low life, son of un married parents, military hating, jerk, finally did what he wanted to do: he embarassed our military beyond belief by sending them on an impossible mission, against impossible odds, at an impossible time, in an impossible situation.
That's about as concise and accurate an answer to your question that you'll ever get.

The movie is an attempt to condense the period into 2 hours. It's going to have to deviate. It's simply impossible not to. Multiple participants are fused into one actors role, etc. You can't squish 24 hours into a 2 hour film reel and not lose something in the transfer.

Back