Black bear hunting

taylorce1,
I hate stories like this one, bullets don't bounce off bears period. The posters father tried to make a head shot and failed only wounding the bear. If he'd actually hit something the bear would have been down for the count. A wounding shot doesn't have to be that damaging, and many animals survive these every year.

Did I ever say the bear was bulletproof? There was penetration just not enough.

Just like all hunting that 100% kill shot doesn't always kill and sometimes the dumbest most inaccurate shot kills.

I once found a blood trail on public hunting land and decided to follow it. Ended up kicking a deer up and followed even more blood. After kicking it up again I decided to go home and come back a few hours later. When I came back I found the doe dead from a shot that grazed the nose and hoof.

Just a little advice and a couple suggestions:
When hunting over bait. Be careful first & foremost. Have known a couple fellows who have fell to the ground and broke their Backs hunting with the use of tree stands. One of the two was on his very first hunt.
Stand placement and wind direction are very important factors when hunting over bait. Even more so than hunting deer.
When shot if the animal presents its hunter a second opportunity for a additional shot. Shoot it!! As big boars and sow's have a vast amounts of stamina to stay alive and to keep moving.
Most important of all tips: Do NOT immediately get out of your stand after the shot is taken. Wait a 1/2 hour or more before leaving the (safety) of your tree stand if you are a lone hunter. Wounded bears have been known to circle and get behind their hunters and observe the area some time. Before wandering off to die. Otherwise. Do have a good time bear hunting NHSHOOTER.

really, anything in in 7mm is good enough for bear. soft points, bonded, round nose, it's all good. black bears are not nearly as tough as some would have you believe.

Well , my uncle used an old 1894 Winchester chambered in 25-35 to successfully hunt black bear with 117 grain soft points which is waaay less powerful than any 7-08 load.....so I'd say your fine ! :)

"Black bears aren't any tougher than deer....."

I beg to differ - they are a extremely tough animal!
Personally I would go with at least 150 gr bullet, if not heavier.

My Dad years ago shot a large black bear (double-lung shot) and ran off into some of the thickest stuff it could find. It went over 500 yards + before expiring.
:eek:
Tracking that thing was not fun at all in that thick stuff, plus the sun was setting - fast!

Safety in the tree stand is 1st and foremost, always wearing a harness. If its still in range and moving , shoot again. I have some 150 gr nosler partitions that I will really try to work up a good accurate load for, as we all know.."bigger is better":D, I really appreciate all the suggestions and comments, keep em coming. I just know I will get the jitters when that bear comes skulking into the bait but I think with plenty of shooting practice I will be fine when the time comes for " THE SHOT". I will be hunting the week of Sept 15th, plenty of time for target practice till then, and I do practice!!!

Good luck and I hope you get one...I'm sitting out this year but will try again next season ! Personally , I use my 45-70 lever action loaded with 400 grain hardcast or Hornady 350 grain interlock bullets ( my reloads ) and carry a S&W 4" barreled model 29 .44 magnum stuffed with 300 grain hardcast to boot....along with a very sharp 6" bladed bush knife ! :D

Last edited:
Blindstitch said:
Did I ever say the bear was bulletproof? There was penetration just not enough.

Just like all hunting that 100% kill shot doesn't always kill and sometimes the dumbest most inaccurate shot kills.

I don't think I ever implied you said a bear was bullet proof. I implied that your dad didn't hit what he was aiming at. I can tell you with a t .32 Win special that not enough penetration wasn't the issue it was shot placement. If your dad had actually hit where he thought he was aiming then he would have had a dead bear.

Kill shots always kill and wounding shots might kill but it takes awhile. I'm not arguing about the ability for animals to run after a shot. I can tell you your "dumbest most inaccurate" don't kill quickly without hitting something vital.

Dennis CA said:
"Black bears aren't any tougher than deer....."

I beg to differ - they are a extremely tough animal!
Personally I would go with at least 150 gr bullet, if not heavier.

My Dad years ago shot a large black bear (double-lung shot) and ran off into some of the thickest stuff it could find. It went over 500 yards + before expiring.

Tracking that thing was not fun at all in that thick stuff, plus the sun was setting - fast!

I'll admit my experience with killing black bears is limited to the whole sum total of two. One I shot and one I helped the hunter get. However, I'm seeing a whole bunch of second hand experience. I used 200 grain bullets because I got them cheap and had been using them for an elk hunt the previous season, not because I needed them for bear.

However, on the two bears I've been in on I can tell you that I'd been perfectly happy using a much smaller rifle than I did. I used a .30-06 because I was heading to SE Alaska and it was a boat hunt on salt water and it was the only synthetic stocked rifle I had at the time, and the other guy used a .358 JDJ (think .358 Win) in a single shot pistol.

We both shot our bears through the front shoulders to prevent any tracking through the very dense AK rainforest. I'd been just as happy up there and had my very same bear using a .243 Win with quality bullets in light weights and about any bullet from 95-105 grain would have done the job. As tough as you all think black bear are they still are only classified as CXP2 game so use that as a reference when choosing bullets.

When in doubt it never hurts going heavy for caliber but don't overthink the whole process. If you've never hunted black bears before spend more time on studying their anatomy and pictures on how to distinguish between a male/female, and how to judge mature from juvenile. That will do more for your success in the long run than worrying about changing bullet weight.

Panfisher, The guy I am hunting with is a picture fanatic, I am sure there will be plenty. I too want plenty for my scrap book.

taylorce1,
I don't think I ever implied you said a bear was bullet proof. I implied that your dad didn't hit what he was aiming at.

Well believe what you want he's the one who has the busted up skull with bullet rattling around in it.

Well believe what you want he's the one who has the busted up skull with bullet rattling around in it.

Over my many years in the field, I have seen many things I would not have believed, had I not been there in person. With the millions of animals shot every year under a million different conditions and situations, there will always be a few scenarios that are hard to visualize 2nd hand. I tend to believe you dad's story more so than the many posts here from folks that claim they been hunting for 40 years, shot hundreds of deer and always had a one shot DRT/bang flop. Never made less than a perfect shot, never lost a deer and never had to trail one.

Everyone should dream about a one shot dirt/bang flop and be prepared for a one shot run like hell through the thickest brush and slip out of site tracking scenario.

Either way I wish everyone good luck for the upcoming hunting season.

I've seen bear do that, I've also seen deer do the same. If he got a double lung shot that is all you can ask of any bullet or caliber. You will get pretty much the same results with a 243 as a 458 mag.

If the bullet is capable of getting enough penetration to hit both lungs you, the bullet and your gun have done all possible. After that it is up to the animal. It only has seconds to live and some, most in fact, choose to lay down and die. Others choose make a mad dash for those few seconds. Any animal can run several hundred yards in under 1 minute.

Some don't realize that this is perfectly normal and start looking for a bigger gun when they see it happen. The gun and ammo the OP has chosen will work just fine.

Just a FYI, I have achieved a 3 shot 1" group @ 100yds from 150 gr nosler partition over 40 gr IMR 4895, will be my bear load, now just to practice, practice. Retrieved 4 spent bullets from sand bank all in 1 piece with rear 1/4 of bullet intact and not deformed.

Just a FYI, I have achieved a 3 shot 1" group @ 100yds from 150 gr nosler partition over 40 gr IMR 4895, will be my bear load, now just to practice, practice. Retrieved 4 spent bullets from sand bank all in 1 piece with rear 1/4 of bullet intact and not deformed.

Looks like you have a great load for a Black Bear.

Good luck!

Back