Black bear hunting

NHSHOOTER

Going Black Bear hunting for the first time here in NH this sept, hunting over bait. I will be shooting a 7-08. I reload so my bullet choices are very wide spread. My rifle is sighted in with 145 gr ptsp which it shoots very well, I do have some 150 and 175 gr nosler partitions I could load. Just looking for some input. I think the 145 would do the job, especially at under 100 yds but I am more than willing to take advice from those that know better.

I would go with a Partition or Accubond in the heaviest weight your rifle throws out accurately.

7mm-08 is a hair on the light side for black bear, but since you're hunting over bait you shouldn't have to worry much about surprising one and having to deal with a charge.

the 145 gr in the 7mm-08 is perfectly fine,thats plenty of gun.are you sure bait is allowed in N.H.I live in vermont and as far as i know maine is the only new england state that allows bait.

Yes, bait is still allowed here in NH, it is very controlled. I have a friend who has the bait site, name's address and all have to be there..

If the 145 grain is the Speer HotCor or Grand Slam, you should be fine. If it's something else, I'd shift to the Nosler Partition.
The HotCor/GS/Partition have the feature of expanding fairly quickly while retaining weight and shank to drive through. This is what I'd look for in a bullet for this purpose.
I used Remington CoreLokt 180 in a 30/06 for baited bear and had excellent results. I might have been slightly under bulleted for the 400 pounder we saw crossing the road but then again, I didn't see that one while on stand. My rifle killed 3 bears from 150 to 250# that trip(one for me and 2 for bowhunters who couldn't make it happen with archery) all complete penetration and down within 100'.

Partitions in the 7-08 would be a great choice, it has plenty of power. As long as the rifle shoots them well enough.

BARNES

May I suggest Barnes TTSX for your 7-08. I use them for wild boar in the 300 pound range and with good shot placement experience consistent one shot kills in my 7-30 Waters.

Good luck and good hunting.

Partitions are an excellent choice but like you I think your 145 would work fine too. Nice thing about hunting over bait is you should have time to allow the right shot to present itself. Good luck and I look forward to reading a good story if you're successful.

My sister-in-law has taken elk successfully with her 7mm-08 carbine. Ammo featured the 140 grain Nosler Partition. This is an older Premium design that has proved its value for many decades.

Good hunting to you.

Jack

shot some 145 gr pointed soft point BT this morning, 1" group @ 100 yds, 150 gr partition were about 3" group@100 yds. shot off sandbags. Still have a few different powders and bullets seat depths to check..

My dad has shot many bear with a 32 winchester in a Winchester 94 but there was one that he didn't have the best body shot on so he did a head shot and the bear ran out. 30 minutes later it walked back in with blood running down its nose without a care in the world.

A better shot presented itself and the bear was on the ground shortly after.

Be clear on where you're shooting and you will do find but I to would crank up the bullet weight as high as I could without hurting accuracy.

This year New York will have an extra season for black bear in September at least in the Catskills. This area took 430 black bear last year - not enough.

I wonder if anyone has purchased a Kimber Adirondack to hunt in the Adirondack Mtns here ??? :p

The last bear I shot was with my 284 Win. This was a short range shot over bait. If the opportunity presents itself go for the base of the neck, fairly large target area, stable. There will be no tracking needed.

In the common deer load for the 7mm08, with a 139/140-grain bullet, remember that it's basically a .308 with ten grains less bullet weight. Dang small ballistic difference.

Blindstitch said:
My dad has shot many bear with a 32 winchester in a Winchester 94 but there was one that he didn't have the best body shot on so he did a head shot and the bear ran out. 30 minutes later it walked back in with blood running down its nose without a care in the world.

A better shot presented itself and the bear was on the ground shortly after.

Be clear on where you're shooting and you will do find but I to would crank up the bullet weight as high as I could without hurting accuracy.

I hate stories like this one, bullets don't bounce off bears period. The posters father tried to make a head shot and failed only wounding the bear. If he'd actually hit something the bear would have been down for the count. A wounding shot doesn't have to be that damaging, and many animals survive these every year.

People have success with much lighter bullets and smaller calibers on black bear than the OP is talking about. I'll say it again black bear aren't all that tough just use the bullet that shoots the best in your rifle. If the shot presents itself and you put the bullet where it belongs, I guarantee you'll have a bear on the ground.

NHShooter, I would usually be the first to say "use whatever ya got".

But for a few buts...

Hunting over bait will be a 20 paces-full mv hit. You may not get complete penetration.

Fall bears are fat, loose, rolling, bullet hole plugging fat.
When it comes to tracking, two holes are better than one.

Your first over-bait close up bear hunt-if you don't get the jitters...
you're a better man than I, Gunga Din!

Good luck hitting base of neck etc!

You know that the odd time you get the added thrill of a bear trying to join you in your tree?

A monometal bullet would be perfect for this situation.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.

People have success with much lighter bullets and smaller calibers on black bear than the OP is talking about. I'll say it again black bear aren't all that tough just use the bullet that shoots the best in your rifle. If the shot presents itself and you put the bullet where it belongs, I guarantee you'll have a bear on the ground.

I concurr...

Back