Bitter sweet

There were definitely some bubbles.

Based on were the crosshairs were when I pulled the trigger I'm guessing the shot got his left lung; but was probably a little lower than I intended due to the angle firing out of a treestand (I need to practice shooting from a raised platform. It is amazing to what degree you body goes back to training when you make it perform under pressure )My belief, after studying a diagram and thinking about the shot I took about 1,000 times; is that I caught him in the left side of his chest, hit a lung but missed the heart (where I was aiming) low.

He went down for a second or so, but scrambled up after his does pretty quick. For a sweet second I thought I had dropped him cold.

So close.

Sorry to hear your neighbor is that unhospitable. I have a very large lease in New York and every year or so someone will call be to see if they can come on the property to look for a wounded deer. I never turn them down but I do insist that they let me accompany them in their search. If there's a blood trail I will go out of my way to help them recover the animal. If there is no blood trail and just tracks and they think they might have hit an animal I tell them I'll follow it for a while and call them if I find blood or a dead deer. I don't like a group of strangers wandering around on my lease during the season but don't want anyone to not get a deer they hit either. I have one neighbor who has done this a couple of times and we've always found his deer so at this point I tell him to just come on and get it. He knows the drill and respects my property. Good luck and getting another buck to keep.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. I would have happily waited and would have had no problem having the owner tag along. I just wish I could have gotten my deer back!

When I saw where he went through the fence I knew they wouldn't let me in. People pay a pretty penny to hunt that lease.

I am fortunate enough to have my own property as well as being able to hunt with a close friend who has his own property as well.

Through the years we have both had quite a few people who we found wandering around where they shouldn't be, "looking" for their lost coon or hog dogs, or tracking said deer.

Our take on it is call, or come to the house and get us, and we will do everything in our power to enable the recovery of either. However, if we now find anyone walking about without permission or prior consent they are trespassing, or poaching no questions asked. We contact our neighbors on a regular basis and there is no reason for anyone to be on either sides of the fences without prior consent.

It is sad to have to be that way, but folks take advantage of large and small tracks of private property and feel it is their "right" to hunt the game that travels there. It might be as long as it is on the other side of the fence. When you hunt thick overgrown bottoms and if game is coming at you, you may be getting ready to make a shot, then in the background some dobber head comes staggering through the briers and vines that you had no idea was there. Just as easily they could have been on the receiving end of a gunshot. Even if the number one rule is know your backstop, when your in a river bottom and in stuff that is limited to maybe 60yds visibility your backstop might be a half acre or more of thick underbrush you should be able to count on no one being in.

The flip side of that is, "IF" they are hunting a wounded deer, and you just happen to be working through those same thickets, what to say they don't think you are said deer and shoot you?

We are not required to wear blaze orange on private property and I do a lot of hunting in my Carharts which are light tan. So I don't want some loose itchy trigger, drawing a bead on me slipping through the brush on my own property, nor do I want to be sitting there or stalking through quietly, and have someone I don't even know holler over, HEY DID YA SEE A DEER COME RUNNING THROUGH HERE....Even better was when I went to my stand and found a fella sitting in it who swore he was dropped off right over there by the fellow he leased from. Problem was, right over there, some 250yds through the woods, was the county FM road where his car was parked.....

It's crazy to me that someone would have the audacity to hunt on someone else's private property.

My dad was just telling about a guy he used to work with who had someone occupy his treestand which was on his own property.

Seems to happen all the time.

I am sure it happens more then we know. People trespassing to hunt. I have heard a lot of stories throughout the years of people trespassing and shooting deer off property they don't have permission to be on, guys walking up to people in their stands and what not.

It is only getting worse with the lack of respect for other people and their property

In the two areas I hunt, no one cares if you go on their property to recover a deer. I do not care if people come onto my property to recover a deer. We have never even formally discussed it, we have just all done it for years and no one cares. Seems to me it is much easier in the long run to be a good neighbor.

people like that really irritate me. much of the public land in my area has either been sold to a hunting club(lease) or to the local tribe. the tribe has zero exceptions for letting whites on their land(aside from having to share roadways but whites aren't even allowed to pull over on the side of the road on tribal land. the lease will not let you on to pursue mortally wounded game. meanwhile those animals are dead and left to rot and you have to kill another animal. it is stuff like that is the reason we only get a single deer tag(unless special draw) and a single elk. if we were allowed to pursue, we'd be killing less animals as a whole and could possibly extend seasons, or increase the number of tags issued to maintain the populations.

In the two areas I hunt, no one cares if you go on their property to recover a deer. I do not care if people come onto my property to recover a deer. We have never even formally discussed it, we have just all done it for years and no one cares. Seems to me it is much easier in the long run to be a good neighbor.

Please don't take this out of the context with which it is posted,

For many years this was the situation around both my own property as well as my friends which is WAY more than I have. But as the years go by, and folks pass it down to others or sell it, or lease it, and you have new folks come in with their own ideas of how things should be.

We have both had feeders set up literally on the fences with blinds set so that anything that is shot at the bullets will pass over onto our properties. We have had stands set up with the ladder on their side and the stand on our side, had fences cut so they could drive their 4 wheelers through with trailers to haul their dogs and hogs with, in one afternoon I caught over a dozen people with 5 vehicles and trailers on his place in the act of hunting over a mile from the fence line and they simply said they were looking for one of their dogs which had a tracking collar. My reply was not only were they trespassing, but poaching, and they had until I got to my truck before I called the sheriff and game warden.

In Texas here is what the rules state, (from the TP&W 2014-15 Wildlife Outdoor Annual)

Retrieval of Game: No person may pursue a wounded wildlife resource across a property line without the consent of landowner of the property where the wildlife resource has fled. Under the trespass provisions of the Penal Code, a person on a property without the permission of the landowner is subject to arrest.

o Under the Texas Penal Code (§30.05) it is an offense for any person to enter property that is fenced, posted with a sign(s) or marked (purple paint) without the express permission of the owner. Posts or trees bearing purple paint marking of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width at not less than three or more than five feet from the ground constitute notice that the property is posted.
o A person who hunts without landowner consent and kills a desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, white-tailed deer or mule deer commits an offense that is a Parks and Wildlife Code state jail felony. Upon conviction, your hunting and fishing license is automatically revoked.

Penalties

If you violate fish and wildlife laws, you may:

* be fined (Class C - $25-$500; Class B - $200-$2,000; Class A - $500-$4,000; State Jail Felony, $1,500-$10,000);
* be jailed (Class B and higher offenses);
* face automatic suspension or revocation of licenses for up to five years;
* forfeit hunting gear, including firearms, used to commit a violation.

They also have passed a law about your bullet passing across the fence line onto others property, that can land your rear in a sling as well. It can be found here,PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE about a third of the way down in Sec. 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE.

It's not so much trouble to ask permission, it is also simply common sense and courtesy, and more so safety, to make sure and certain that your set up away from a fence so that neither your bullet nor one from somewhere(one) else will be a danger to you or others. But when you try and explain it to new owners or lease holders, folks simply get all flustered and foolish about it, even when you bring it up in a civil manner. Next thing you know it escalates into "well I'll show him" match and everyone looses out. So you try to be as honest and up front as possible, discuss it with the new neighbors and when things head south, well you adjust your tactics to meet theirs only using the law and LEO's to enforce it.

We have both been upfront and straight about what we expect, as well as what we will do, and expect to be done. We have given and taken phone numbers so that we CAN have good communication, and still have issues with some. Even with the laws on the books and with the local wardens coming out and trying to help explain things to folks they still feel the need to prove something. I don't know why, and I still try to be a good neighbor to most, but when you keep getting your stickers in your foot, you learn there are other routes you can take.

I think what particularly hindered me here was that it was a lease, not just the neighbors out hunting themselves. I know the guy who lives to the east of my Uncle's property would have let me pursue unto his property, and probably would have helped me track the deer.

But my deer didn't run east; he ran south.

I get it: people paid money to hunt that land, if I showed up, rustling up everything I could ruin those hunts or even put myself in a dangerous situation if somebody was a little too trigger happy.

The night I left my grandparents' place up there to get back to the wife and kids (and work) my grandpa saw five does and a Buck milling about right under the stand I was in all weekend.

Stinking deer are just messing with me now.

They do taste good though.

Others would have just jumped the fence and tried to recover. I respect your respect for the lease holders land.

We sold it off years ago, but used to have 300 acres of property in Southern Illinois. My Dad and uncles hunted and we had groups pay to hunt, but it always irked me when people just thought that they could trod on our land and hunt when no one was looking. Happened almost every year till we got the local police and DNR to swing by during hunting seasons.

There are many reasons (we used the land for recreation and with kids and dogs etc.) and many laws, so everyone should have respect. I would for sure and have let the farms and farmers and their sons use our land when they asked. They were good people. Pulled me and my sister out of the mud in our Jeep one dark winter night when no one else would have.

You just have to have a little respect, that is all.

B.t.w., sorry you lost the deer. If it had been my land, I would have said to go find it. Not because I know you, but because you asked!

Almost 10 years ago, I had a buddy call me at about midnight on Sunday night. (He knew I'd be up and available.)
He needed me to meet him on the local military reservation and act as lookout while he retrieved an arrow with some ridiculous $80 broadhead on it.

I obliged. He didn't find his arrow, but told me the story:
He had been set up about 100 yards in from a main road across the reservation. He plugged a decent-sized coastal whitetail buck (tiny little things) with an arrow, and it managed to cross the road and drop dead in the drainage ditch on the other side. He couldn't find his arrow after the shot, and assumed it was still in the deer.

--The problem with that is that the edge of the paved road - not the ditch or fence on the other side - was the unit boundary, and delineated public access and a bombing range (the bombing range where the MOAB was dropped, actually). ...And that specific area had a lot of trespassers and poaching, so the game wardens parked on the road and watched the area about 18 hours a day during peak times of deer season.--

One of the game wardens was parked a couple hundred yards down the road, watching. So, he walked down to warden and asked to retrieve the carcass and arrow. The game warden drove up, took a look, and gave him a definitive "no."
This deer was no more than 8 feet from the road, with no obstructions between the road and the animal. He could grab the animal and carry it back to the road in less than 30 seconds (a big one is all of 100 lbs, soaking wet :rolleyes:).
The game warden was adamant: The boundary is the boundary. No trespassing.

So, they each sat in their trucks until well after sunset, in a stalemate. Eventually, the game warden left; but my buddy took a nap for a few more hours before calling for backup.

He went back to the same tree for several weeks, and even bagged two deer from that stand. He never did find his arrow, but he did get several photos of poachers coming off of the bombing range... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Others would have just jumped the fence and tried to recover. I respect your respect for the lease holders land.

We sold it off years ago, but used to have 300 acres of property in Southern Illinois. My Dad and uncles hunted and we had groups pay to hunt, but it always irked me when people just thought that they could trod on our land and hunt when no one was looking. Happened almost every year till we got the local police and DNR to swing by during hunting seasons.

There are many reasons (we used the land for recreation and with kids and dogs etc.) and many laws, so everyone should have respect. I would for sure and have let the farms and farmers and their sons use our land when they asked. They were good people. Pulled me and my sister out of the mud in our Jeep one dark winter night when no one else would have.

You just have to have a little respect, that is all.

B.t.w., sorry you lost the deer. If it had been my land, I would have said to go find it. Not because I know you, but because you asked!

Thanks! I would have appreciated it. :)

I did not make it out this weekend because I am sick and I figured I would give my wife a turn to get out of the house.

I think I may have talked her into letting me take off for another two days next weekend though. I might even drag the kiddo along. She can play with great-grandma while me and the old men hunt. :D

I've been watching this facebook group called "Proud Michigan Hunter" and seen about 30 8-points posted up there; all taken in the state (assuming honesty on the part of the posters). Man I've got the itch now!

Lost my very first deer, actually. Late-season man drive, small doe. Hit 'er with a load of Federal's LE/Flight Control 00 buck at 10 yds. Saw fur fly & the wad bounce off her chest. Blood on the trees, 12" off the ground.

Myself, bud & his nephew (part bloodhound, btw) scoured a 1/4 mile radius & last sign we found was a small spot of blood on the road/trail. While searching for her, @sshat dog-hunter that unfortunately also had permission to hunt that property drove past with small doe in the bed of his truck. Hmm...

Back