Birthday required for knife purchase...

KingEdward

Went to Kmart yesterday.

Picked up a gerber 2.25inch knife for a nephew's christmas gift.

Before the cashier would ring it up she asked me for my birthdate
(month/day/year)

I complied.

So now, someone can't buy a little knife without having to divulge
personal information?

Does anyone know if this is Kmart specific, or State (TN) law, or National?

Thanks.

I think it is 18 for knives. I know a friend who did the basic when he was 17 but still even while in uniform could not get a knife over the counter.

I've never heard of such a thing. I haven't been into a KMart in years though. I have purchased a couple hunting knives in the past year from sporting goods stores but they never asked for ID.

So, presumably, that would apply to buying a steak knife too? How about a butter knife? And what about the plastic knives in the picnic sets? You realize that plastic knives in general could be a severe menace because they can't be detected in a metal detector right?

I bought ammo and was asked if I were over 18. I said more than 3 times.

Life.

BTW, a 2.5 inch knife is not trivial. Box cutters led to two wars that are still going on.

That is absurd.
I don't give stores, let alone wall mart or kmart any personal info.
My phone number is 555-1234 when they ask at lowes.

pax said:
Spray paint. I got carded for buying spray paint.

Well yeah. They wanted to make sure you were of legal age to huff that stuff. :rolleyes:

Funny, the hardware store I work at sells gallons of toluene, benzene, and other such stuff and we never card... Must be an Idaho thing.

I worked on analyzing substance abuse data for the NW (Oregon, WA) in the early 90's. For poorer kids, native amercians, folks away from the cities - inhalants were a very large proportion of substance of choice.

This is classic!

When we were in England in 2002-2005, the purchase of tableware place settings came with a warning that the knives contained there in came under the 'Dangerous Weapons' heading and were considered 'controlled' and required a 'reason' to purchase.

Oh YEAH, I bought a nice knife in Kmart in Nashville and was asked my age as well, day, month and year. Actually I was flattered. I'm 62 years old and grey haired.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!

Bought my kid a new Buck knife for deer skinning at a Fleet Farm. No phone number or birthdate required. I wonder what the cashier at KMart would do if you gave July 4th, '76 as your birthday. Think their brain would process fast enough to "get it"? By the way, fleet farm has never asked my age for handgun or any ammunition. I'm sure I look older than 18, but some stores ask "everyone" just so they don't appear to be "descriminating".

Store policy & local conditions...

Spray paint. I got carded for buying spray paint.

The town 20 miles away (with an ethnic gang problem) has an ordnance, and all the stores have the spray paint locked up. The Walmart also keeps all the video games and movies locked up.

The town 20 miles away, the other way, doesn't. And they (Walmart included) don't.

Walmart always rings up to ask for my age for a number of products. Rarely do clerks actually ask for my birthdate. Once in a while they do ask, if I'm over 17/18 or 21, jokingly. Most just glance at the gray hair and white beard and punch something into the cash register and go on ringing up items.:D:rolleyes:

I never get insulted by being asked, because I recognise its just procedure, and the clerks can actually get in trouble (technically) if they don't ask. Usually a level look, and a raised eyebrow is plenty to send them into embarassed activity.

Many places have either laws or local ordnances prohibiting sale of a knife to a minor (although the limit is sometimes lower, 16, or 14). And in more rural America, even these rules are often ignored by local merchants. But we don't advertise that fact, after all, in an era when you cannot carry a set of fingernail clippers on an airplane, letting a 9 year old buy a pocketknife is barbaric...isn't it?

The town that cards you (as an obvious adult) for buying spraypaint is not going to sell a child a "dangerous weapon" like a pocketknife.

Alles muss in Ordnung sein! its not just for Europeans anymore!:D

In many states it is the law that you have to be 18 or older to buy a knife, folding or straight blade. The comical part is you can buy a multitool or kitchen knife set they don't even blink.

I think its funny that you have to be 18. Everyone knows that people under 18 are so much more capable and dangerous and those who are over. ;)

I wonder what they'd say if a 17 year old boy scout came into the store and bought a hatchet. I'm guessing even a pack of BB's is a big no-no to sell to minors these days. We used to buy them at the local hardware store, no questions asked. Of course, when I was a kid, we used to buy cigars and the store owner would comment, you're gonna turn green. We'd tell him they were for our dad and he'd just nod and say, "Uh huh".

Well, that really really ****** me off was I was at Walmart I randomly found a little (Smith's I believe) knife sharpener that slid into itself

391720.jpg

I was 17 at the time and was asked for my ID. Well I obviously didn't add up on their computer, and she said it was a "no go". I was very close to (politely) pulling out my knife, exclaiming I already had the "dangerous part", I just wanted to keep it sharp.

Instead, I gave in, and paid for my other stuff. But really, a knife sharpener?

My favorite;) are the guys at the fleamarkets selling the cheap $2 Frost knives that insist you show them ID to be able to simply pickup one of their knives. Once again, I was underage, and simply picked up one of these knives, and the (Indian, from India) explained to me that I could not touch the knives without adult supervision. I simply said "Sounds good, I guess you won't be selling anything to me today" and walked off.

What the hell has this country gone to?

Oh, btw, having turned 18, I"ve been to the exact same Walmart, requested to buy ammo, and haven't even been asked for my ID OR age....they simply input a random acceptable date themselves. I wonder what one could do by simply raising some hell by writing a letter to the manager demanding justice over such inequalities?

Back