Bipods... never used one... a couple questions...

I think so many AR owners are enamored of rails and VFGs
I love my rails, but don't have a VFG installed. The Colt I bought came with one, but it's never been on for long. I far prefer the gripping the magwell, so I stuck a QD mount on the bottom rail for a bipod, and a two part red dot swing out magnifier on the upper rail. The side rails so far have covers. I haven't seen anything I like enough to put on them. I have half-hearted ideas of getting a light but it's not burning a hole in my wallet so far.

My first experience shooting with a bipod was last spring at a long range shooting school. Prior to the school the instructors held a meeting and went over equipment we would find useful, bipods and squeeze bags being two of them. Many of us taking the class did not have bipods and had no experience using them. The instructors suggested the Harris notched legs in 6-9" length with the tilting feature. I found a Blackhawk 6-9" on sale and purchased it. The Caldwell's were also on sale but after reading some poor reviews on that particular Caldwell model I spent the extra money on the Blackhawk. The first day of the school we all complained how much we did not like shooting off bipods. It was an unnatural position for us and by the end of the day we were sore from being in that position so much. Day two they take us to a 100 yard range and have us shoot from all positions. At the end of the session they have us shoot 5 rounds from any position we want and they turn it into a competition. Every single one of us attached our bipods and went prone on the target. To properly shoot off a bipod you have to load it up so the gun is being forced back into your shoulder, making for a steadier shooting platform. I can't do that off sand bags or backpacks.

Doyle: As a former manager of a pig farm I can tell you that teats on a bore hog are actually useful :D

... as a guy that has a couple pigs in the back yard, for personal consumption... but a little history in bigger pig farms...

often the teats on a bore are counted, thoughts being, that trait is passed on to the offspring, pigs can vary in amount of teats quite a bit, breeding sows & bores with a lot of teats can produce future sows better able to feed more babies ( & larger litters are the goal )

as a side note... in general, a pig with more teats is "longer" than a pig with less, producing more loin length... more pork chops, & more bacon ;)

OK... back to gun stuff :)

Exactly what MWM said, genetics. You want sows that are good mothers and good mothers have enough teats to feed all their young. Since teat numbers are a genetic trait, when picking a breeding bore that you know your going to need future sows out of you pick the one with the most teats.

Magnum Wheel Man, in reading back what I wrote I told a nice story but really did not answer some of your questions, sorry about that.

I'm hearing the Harris notched leg models are pretty good

That is what the instructors preferred and my next bipod for a tactical rifle I'm dreaming about is going to have one.

I'm thinking I'd like one or two that can be switched around from similar rifle, to similar rifle...do they make one, that easily detaches & could be swapped between several similar rifles

The attachment to the sling swivel is easy enough to do. Takes a couple of minutes to attach and detach tops.

I've obviously never shot off sand bags with a bipod... does it get in the way

I shoot off a Caldwell bag and don't have a problem. The bipod only comes a couple inches back from the sling swivel and I typically put my bag much farther back than that anyway.

any other suggestions or advice, before I pull the trigger buying one

Yes, the tilt feature is controlled by friction with a nut. For fast adjustment (if you think you'll need that) you should consider getting the Fast Adjust handle as an option. It came on the Blackhawk I purchased and comes in very handy in my opinion.

I was taught to shoot without them as a kid, again courtesy of Uncle Sam and then on NY own... I was given an Caldwell set by my daughter for sitting in a ground blind....spent a year with them, went back to prone for longer shots but YMMV.

I've been through this same set of questions before, and it's the right set of *questions*, MWM. If you have several to many long guns, I think you're on the right track, to not simply put "a tripod" on "a rifle" - get a system that interchangeable for all. But which one?

Well, things may have changed in the last few years, but the one I bought which "locked in" to the rifle using the sling swivel stud ended up being junky, and not working (the plastic failed under the stress of tightening the metal screw on the plastic that clamps on the ball to hold it in the position you want).

So, here's what I do now:

Get a regular high-quality lightweight field tripod.

Order the "V-notch" replacement part from the junky brand that failed on me (crap, what's the name of that tripod that's sold in Academy & Bass Pro? - Hang on; I'll come back here when I figure it out. It has different type heads, including some that can lock in and others). Attach the V notch head to the regular tripod (just screws on the threaded post), and carry it around with any longgun. Then you can adjust to any height - sitting in chair, standing, sitting on ground.

I highly recommend the ProMaster XC-525 or XC-525C tripod. You can remove the regular head leaving solely the round threading for the V-notch, for super light weight.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1rdzrow8a8_e

Now this solution is NOT a "lock in" where the longgun and bipod become one unit, so there's some limitations on stability, but it can be very stable.

Back