Bipod and zero

Zero experience with a bi-pod but have read, using them off of different mediums can make a difference. Going from sand bags to a bi-pod even from the same bench changes thins I'd think. The rifle resting on the bags is on soft substance. Switch to the bi-pod and it's a hard substance. Might just be the problem. I can't see floating the barrel making that much difference in point of aim. Normally bedding make's more of a difference in group size.

Zero experience with a bi-pod but have read, using them off of different mediums can make a difference.

This is true in my experience. Bipods are more forgiving to use on dirt or something with some "give" as opposed to using them on a hard bench or concrete pad. I am unable to explain why. I know the rifle and bipods tend to bounce on a hard surface during recoil, but I would believe that if there is no shooter induced flinch that the projectile would be long gone before this had time to affect anything.

If you rest your gun with bag under the bipod mount, then the POI should be pretty close. But if you rest the bag somewhere else, then the POI will likely be someplace else too.

Positioning of sand bag or bi pod has to consider the rifle balance , barrel heavy rifle , bag or bi pod towards the end of stock , cuts down on bounce , you want the recoil to go straight back , also the angle of the rear stock if the coam curves down instead of straight it will kick up . The rifle itself has alot to do with the way it recoils . Keeping the rifle level will help , just think of shooting uphill or down , what would bounce more .

Back