binoculars

As long as you keep the power down when the light fades you should be fine. Zoom isn't quite as good at transmitting light as a fixed power, but it compensates wit the ability to have multiple magnifications instead.

They kicked and screamed at "horseless carriages" as well.

The Cannons you referenced are not waterproof, and from what I can find in reviews, are not hought of as rugged ...... maybe when IS hardware gets past the Model T stage of development, I'll give them a look again.

In reality the biggest problem with IS binos for low light is the power/objective ratio. Look at whats offered & ask this:

"If IS were not a factor would I buy that power & light gathering for dawn/dusk use"?

I don't know why there isn't (for example) a 10 or 12 X 50 IS binocular, unless its a weight & bulk issue.

wog, FWIW, Canon makes a 15x50:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-binoculars/15-x-50-is-all-weather-binoculars

They do not seem to list the weight or any other specs except eye relief..... they call them "All Weather"..... but don't say "waterproof" ......

... and they want a hefty pile of cash for them: $1699. Add $349 for a "service plan" that provides insurance for "unforseen accidents" and "excessive downtime" ......

Nope, they'll have to be rugged enough that I don't have to insure them against a ground level fall .....and have equal optical clarity to a non-IS binocular of similar make (which according to some of the reviews I have read, they do not), AND the cost has to come down...... which it will, no doubt: Anybody remember what the first clunky PC's cost? The first brick phones? Now there are phones that have many times more memory, computing power, a better screen AND a camera ..... (with no wires) ....than the first desktops .... and they cost very little in comparison.

I think someday, Binocular tech will be like that: the Binos of the future will combine IS, rangefinding, navigation and probably a camera ..... but even then, I'll have the skills to be able to hold them steady in field positions, because "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

No problem. I'm still using my Cabela's Alpha extreme 8.5 X 44s without any doodads.:D

They were an upgrade to my 30 year old original Swift Audubon 8X 40's. Yes those old warhorses! The development was excellent, eye relief is such that I can use them with glasses, weight & size were reduced & close focus was improved.

Im partial to vortex optics.You get alot for the price an customer service that is no fault,no questions asked etc..I like 8x42s for hunting in my locale(ohio).Even Vortex under 200$ stuff is better than most anything else in the same price range. Just my opinion though

I have a 35 year old Nikon 7X50 that is just about perfect. They will open up wide enough to accommodate my inter pupillary distance. If you don't have enough movement, the field of view will lead to eye strain. I bought a set of Bausch and Lomb 10X50 without really trying them and I cannot get the spread I need for my eyes. It is pretty good glass but not usable for me.

Many new designs today do not accommodate those of us with wide spaced eyes and some of the new high end binocs just won't work for me.

You need a set that will allow you to approach the "merge" of both eyes from each direction. From being too close together to being too far.

There is a "sweet" spot where the image blooms and you need to be able to get there from both directions.

These (Minox) are not well known among hunters but they are fantastic glass for a working man's price. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62173 They are sold out of them right now which should tell you something.

I've owned and used these binos since 2010 and love them. I bought them for a trip to South Africa in 2010. I asked my guide if he was familiar with them as he had some high dollar Zeiss. He said, Oh yes they are very good and much more reasonable than the Zeiss. They worked great from early morning to very late evening in the bush. If you've never been there, you can't imagine how dark late evening in the bush can be. Mine are 10 x 42 and are very stable. You can look through them all day without sucking the life out of your eyes.

I liked them so well, I have also purchased and used 2 of their scopes. Lifetime warranty and great repeatability.:):)

I wear a pair of Minox HG 8x33 BR ASPH binoculars strapped to my chest when hunting.

From that harness I have lanyards to my GPS on one side and range finder on the other.

Then I have a rifle over my shoulder with a sling, and on that rifle is a scope, bipod, ammo pouch / cheek rest, and a rear bag hanging.

I shot that buck at 477 yards in 2013. I used the binocs to find him. The sun was coming up and was shining on his antlers.

Attachments

• Clark's buck deer 2013.jpg
    Clark's buck deer 2013.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 4
I much prefer 10x42's over 7x35's. I use some Leica binocs (10x40) for hunting, but we have some 10x42 Nikon's around the house and they are pretty darn good glass. Hard to beat Nikon for quality for price, though I'll stay with my Leica binocs.

Don't get 10x50's. Too big, with not enough return for the investment and weight.

Back