Binoculars v. spotting scope for hunting?

I might be wrong, but I heard that one can determine wind velocity by examining mirage movement on the ground. Supposedly, variable-magnification spotting scopes are very handy for this task, as one can focus on various sections of the bullet path to examine mirage and than calculate windage adjustments. I'm no expert -- this is just what I heard.

I don't carry either. I just use my Range finder. I use the Leopold range finder which is 8X.

I don't like to carry much when I'm hunting being old and wimpy.

Mirage, and using it to pick up wind direction, is very difficult to see in most environmental conditions until you are past 10x. When it is cold, probably hard even with high mag spotting scopes.

Once you try an image stabilized binocular, you will never go back.

Canon make an excellent series.

CAN1550IS.jpg

Spotting scopes only become of value when game is spotted(using binos) and further assessment is needed(generally speaking).

BS! Spotting scopes are used for locating game in the West. I have spent countless hours behind the lens of a spotting scope looking for mule deer, elk and sheep. Without a spotting scope, hunting in the western mountains becomes a crap shoot. Miles and miles of varied, open terrain mixed with cliffs, brush trees and mountains and valleys! A spotting scope is a MUST for this type of hunting.

But to answer the OP's original question, if you can only afford one or the other, bino's will be much more useful to you. For western hunting, 8 to 10 power are the go to magnification. Some very nice glass is available now for you target budget of $400.

Where are you hunting?

Eastern US or Western??

What terrain involved, scattered woodlots of Midwest? or long yardage fields?

I have use BOTH when dictated, spoting scope when first in a new area in Mid-Washinton , and binoculars for close up hilly wooded terrain ans in the Cascades.

In Ohio and Michigan for deer / bear used binoculars only.

Presently using a 7X35 Minolta for boating, hunting and birding, there are trade-offs for going higher /lower power.

Basically, the magnification power is divided into the objective diameter, if the result is 5 or greater, the exit diameter of the "view" will be greater than the eye pupil diameter [normally is 3mm] for low light situations.

Spend money wisely and reap results.

Thanks guys! All of your thoughts and comments are very helpful and very much appreciated! I think, based on my preferences and terrain, I'll get me a 6 power rangefinder (Leupold RX-1000I tbr) plus a good spotting scope (probably Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45 x 60mm) - that should cover spotting at close, medium, and far distances pretty well during my hunts. In the future, I might get a set of binocs, if need be. Thanks again! :D

It's your money, but I really think that binocs should be first on your purchase list, and they should be 10 powers and high quality. For general glassing, a spotting scope isn't what you need.

Let me put it this way. If you choose one. You won't be satisfied until you have the other. As I interpret your question. It's a tough call. As for myself I use a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 Spotter. Wish at times I had a set of binoculars instead. But my pockets aren't deep enough for my wish of a swarovski el range 8x42 w b. Who know's maybe some day I'll win the lottery. First thing on my >Need to buy list. swarovski's ~~Yup!!_:)

Too rich for my blood, too. Not sure what I'm going to do once I actually move out there next year. I gave away my small spotting scopes, and in binos, all I have is little lightweight numbers for the woods (Leupold Yosemite 6x30, Kowa YF 8x30, Brunton Echo 8x30, Pentax Papillon 6.5x21, and Nikon Action 7x35). Love those little lightweight ones.

Maybe I can get my brother to give me back the Nikon 15-45x65mm spotter I gave him.

Back