Biggest rip-off seen in past year

ATN082268

What is the biggest price rip-off you have seen in the last year regarding guns and/or ammo? The intent of this thread isn't to bash a particular retailer or debate supply/demand issues. If it devolves into this, I encourage the moderators to close this thread. For me, the biggest rip-off was a 1000 rounds of green tip 5.56 for 2000 dollars.

If no one buys someone's offering at whatever price they ask, then they did not get ripped off; if they did buy it, then they thought the asking price was fair and again, they did not get ripped off.

Basic Econ 101

Cheaper Than Dirt sending me an email informing me about their "sale on in stock .380 ammo" which turned out to be Winchester White Box at $100 for 50 rounds.

What stands out in my mind as being different from the 2012 shortage is that this seems limited to ammo with firearm prices slowly rising but not skyrocketing overnight, and magazines still being available at a reasonable cost.

I remember not being able to find an AR under $1,000 and basic 30 round AR magazines selling for $25 or more.

Makes me think production capacity has increased to the point that the crunch is softened on guns and magazines but still not able to touch the shortage on ammo

If no one buys someone's offering at whatever price they ask, then they did not get ripped off; if they did buy it, then they thought the asking price was fair and again, they did not get ripped off.

Basic Econ 101

Here we go again! Not one manufacturer, not one wholesaler, not one retailer, has marked up the price of their firearms related products above and beyond normal profit percentages in the past year. Nope, not one. :rolleyes:

I only consider something as a ripoff if there’s some intent to be dishonest or fraudulent.
For example, someone sells a tv in a box but there’s really a piece of plywood, or a counterfeit designer handbag.

I don’t consider something a ripoff if both parties are in agreement: someone offers a box of ammunition for $500 and someone willing pays that price.

If I buy something for $90 knowing that it’s worth $300, that’s not a ripoff either.

That being said, in times like these, I’ve learned not to bother even shopping for firearm stuff. I still sit on heaps of ammunition.

Some things are marketed to fools, but fair play all the same. Like the AR folding stock adapter.

Have we considered that perhaps the whole thing about ammo prices was a rip off? In other words, dealers and distributors weren't really out of ammo. Rather, they saw the golden opportunity for them to hold out in filling their shelves. They put limited amount of boxes out and instead of selling them for the normal price of let's say $10.00 per box, they sell them for $30.00 per box. They see them selling for $30 so they raise prices to $40, then $50 and they are making a fortune. Then they get the idea of finding out what these idiots will actually pay by letting people start bidding on them and wow! They are making a fortune!

I do not believe they have anymore ammo than the average shooter can get. Shortage for them as well. I was just in my LGS and they had no 9mm and very little else of anything. No ammo to rip someone off.
I am surprised that no one on this forum works in a LGS that could show a invoice of what they are paying. The shortage is affecting all.

And to top it off, March just had another record breaking guns sales month almost 5 million. A 36% increase from February.And this is a big issue, since most manufacturers do not want to expand. Unless they all do something different the shortage will be around for many long years to come. Each and every month millions of new gun owners. How will they possibly get caught up.
The guns sales seem to be coming down lower but not by much. Still many guns sold out. I have not seen what I call any rip offs as a whole. But I am sure they exist. $899 for a case of 9mm training ammo seems like it might be. But who knows.

They put limited amount of boxes out and instead of selling them for the normal price of let's say $10.00 per box, they sell them for $30.00 per box. They see them selling for $30 so they raise prices to $40, then $50 and they are making a fortune. Then they get the idea of finding out what these idiots will actually pay by letting people start bidding on them and wow! They are making a fortune!

Yep my local shop has like 12 boxes of various calibers and half empty gun cases. Heck he even had to lay off one of sales guys.....dam right he is making a fortune!!!!!

I never get ripped of, simply because I do not buy at the exorbitant prices they want to sell ammo. Even during the Obama years I never got ripped off. I also had plenty of components to reload and the only thing I bought was 22lr and 22 magnum at the same prices before he took over. It is the only reason I have been a loyal customer of Academy because they never raised the prices that high. I was getting the 100 round box of CCI at $8.99 and when they raised it they went to $9.99.

I just recently bought a S&W model 41 and paid a lower price than what they sell, it was the performance model with the rail on the barrel. But in all transparency I bought it at the Base Exchange, which was a great deal and did not pay taxes on it either.

I wonder how it would be if next month ammo sales returned to normal. Given the fact that so many millions of gun owners have emerged over the past year.Gun ranges would be swamped. Waiting to even shoot could be many hours at Public gun ranges even during mid week. Maybe have to call in a try and set a reservation a few months in advance. So that would be yet another set back. How long would that be before getting "back to normal".

Last edited:
i like to hear the cries of the unprepared, they should have been buying two instead of one every time they bought shooting supplies-ammo in the pre SHIF days. seems like some people never learn. some called me a nut for setting back extra ammo-supplies, now they call me to try and buy some of my stash.

i like to hear the cries of the unprepared, they should have been buying two instead of one every time they bought shooting supplies-ammo in the pre SHIF days. seems like some people never learn. some called me a nut for setting back extra ammo-supplies, now they call me to try and buy some of my stash.
Uhhhh... Isn't hording what caused the problem in the first place?

Lol, I would be interested to see people hoading in the past year, since there is virtually NO AMMO to speak of to hoard.

And the comment " I like to hear the cries of the unprepared, they should have been buying two instead of one every time they bought shooting supplies-ammo in the pre SHIF days. seems like some people never learn. some called me a nut for setting back extra ammo-supplies, now they call me to try and buy some of my stash" does not make sense. I have been preparing for many years, but still will not shoot ammo I know I cannot replace without paying a exorbitant high price. So even though I have a large stash, it still hurts. Especially when I was shooting on average of 1,000 rds of 9mm alone. Heck at that rate it is 12,000 rds per year. How much would that cost today?

All of mine was accumulated over time.

I don’t consider keeping as much of optional, luxury, hobby or recreational items such as ammunition as a person wants hoarding. There is nothing unethical, wrong or immoral about storing as much ammunition as you want.
It’s not a commodity needed for human existence.
People mad at ammunition “hoarders” are simply jealous and nothing more. It’s the same as a person with a wine collection or a warehouse full of cars.

If we get to the point to where ammunition is a needed item, those without are screwed anyway.
I went a couple of years without shooting my favorite guns during the panic surrounding 2008, so I keep a few years of ammunition on hand, it’s just that simple.

Blaming others for your lack of preparedness is just plain juvenile and asinine.

I have probably paid too much for some ammo recently, but I also bought ammo by the case before the recent unpleasantness (to quote Sam in Ronin) at good prices.

So my average price per round probably comes out to somewhere near average, or maybe a bit below. I'm ok with that, given how much I shoot. YMMV.

Here we go again! Not one manufacturer, not one wholesaler, not one retailer, has marked up the price of their firearms related products above and beyond normal profit percentages in the past year. Nope, not one

What's normal? retailers have to price product based on replacement pricing - many of the smaller places didn't even know IF they were getting replacement. When demand outstrips supply, prices go up accordingly. And when supply may not be coming forth for months, ir ever, they have to do something to keep the doors open.
All of those who raised their prices beyond what YOU considered to be normal - did you buy from them? If not, you didn't get ripped off. Folks who are/were desperate because they were either unprepared or brand new are willing to pay whatever price was asked so that they had something because a gun without ammo is a rock.
Again, basic Econ 101

All of those who raised their prices beyond what YOU considered to be normal - did you buy from them? If not, you didn't get ripped off. Folks who are/were desperate because they were either unprepared or brand new are willing to pay whatever price was asked so that they had something because a gun without ammo is a rock.
Again, basic Econ 101

It is possible to have rip-off prices without getting ripped off :)

Back