Big Rattler From The Southern Woods...

How long do you estimate these snakes to be? I try to figure a foot and go down them and find them pretty long. Not talking about the original pic. The first guy is a BIG guy. The second one they are not outstretching their arms.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• big1a.jpg
    big1a.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 113
  • big2a.jpg
    big2a.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 107
  • big3a.jpg
    big3a.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 108
Ok, I've studied the picture. There is some forced perspective going on but don't let detract from the fact that that's a big (expletive) snake.

The guy in the white t-shirt is a pro handler and may have been the owner of the place in the shirt... Snake a Tarium Panama City beach Fl...

I can get a "circa" of the place and may even get his name too since the fishing forums I use are up here including PCB...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458617&highlight=largemouth

In this thread by rickyrick from a while back, I show a big ol' bass... But as you see i tried to include a fair est. of length with a tape... I also mention trying to create a pic with "false perspective" but was too wore out from hurriedly haulin' her up from the pond for as pic so I could her released...

If the guy with the big snake I posted in the OP was able he may have held the snake out fully but when they are that big, they are VERY much heavier than they look... The stick is very likely tucked under his left armpit and may not have even been able to hold it where he is with out the additional leverage support...

Brent

hogdogs, without a name, handn't a clue what to look for and didn't think the words on the shirt were necessarily a key clue, LOL. So you provided the key.

IF the snake in the pics. hogdogs posted was 8 1/2' long, its weight would most likely be between 12-15lbs. Seeing that an 8 footer has an average weight of about 10lbs.

Given those weights, it would not be hard at all to hold a smaller snake out away from your body to make it look bigger while taking pics..

A good story to Google is one about a DB caught in FLA. that was reported to be 15' long and weighed 140lb. :rolleyes: A few articles even reported the snake to weight 170lbs. Pics. show a cop(I think) holding the snake.

This story, IFAIK, was debunked and not only was the length grossly exaggerated but the laughable reported weight of 140lbs or 170lbs(depending on which story you read) was found to not be possible in a DB even if a freak DB was to ever be caught that was 15' long.

But, the story(fantasy) sure did sell a lot of newspapers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IF the snake in the pics. hogdogs posted was 8 1/2' long, its weight would most likely be between 12-15lbs. Seeing that an 8 footer has an average weight of about 10lbs.

Good observation. See also...http://joomla.wildlife.org/documents/Martin-and-Means.pdf

A good story to Google is one about a DB caught in FLA. that was reported to be 15' long and weighed 140lb. A few articles even reported the snake to weight 170lbs. Pics. show a cop(I think) holding the snake.

I provided the links above.

I don't think the forced perspective is making that big of a difference. an example is the first reference at the beginning of this thread...that is entirely different than what is going on the pix(in my opinion).

the smake is big; it doesn't look photoshopped. he is holding it with wood. if snopes has discredited it, I would like to see that.

Back