Big Game Rifle/Load

We've shot hogs as large as 225 lb. with AR-15 using Remington 55gr PSP ammo. We shoot them on the neck or just below/behind the ear from pretty close range like 50 yards or less. Very rare we need a second shot. On rare occasion we've shot out at 100 yards and it still worked fine with neck shots.

i live in FL, maybe some of you are experienced in this state, mostly swampy especially Big Cypress which is where i plan to go first or whatever comes first.:cool:

Check out the pics, maybe ill just run with this. Let me know what you think and if you have pics post them.;)

Last edited:
:)

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3232.jpg
    IMG_3232.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
JGC

Nice rig but I would change out the scope to something with less magnification. In swamps and other such overgrown areas things are going to happen close up and any optics with more than 2X is going to be a disadvantage. An iron sight would work great too.

thanks,
Ive got the smaller one in 1.5x6, it provides good eye relief and proven itself at the range.IMG_3220.jpg, had it on a 44 magnum and worked flawlessly. Gona have to stick to the 1.5x6 for the bush, FLorida isnt your typical past 200 yard range state especially in the lower half of the state from what ive read.:rolleyes:

That 1.5-6 scope would be ideal.
Set it at 1.5X and it will take care of 90% of your shots.
If it's too far to use 1.5X chances are you'll have time to crank it up to 6X.
Around here only place where we shoot beyond about 100 yards is out in the farm fields and there it could be 400 yards or more.

For hunting use (like in combat) I like to keep everything as simple as possible. Also for optics with magnification, I like the traditional low power scopes as they are much brighter than holographic or red dot sights with magnifier behind it.

True i was just comparing the two and was thinking similar facts not to mention batterys and the fact that my 1.5x6 has enough power to shoot much more accurately, i tested the rifle with my friends eotech and its nice but wasnt crazy about it, my groups were way better with the 1.5x6, even better with the 10x but its overkill. back in ww2 snipers shot to 600 yards on a norm basis with fixed low powered scopes, iam confident in the 1.5x6, looking into a 1.5x10 with mils or holdoffs, if anyone has seen anything decent please point it out.someone with a dual purpose role.

I use a 3-9x40 it could use a lower power scope. They are common and easy to find, generally less expensive. I have a modified red spotlight that clips to the scope.

Back