Big Game Prep

"Lots of great advice here"; you got that right doofus47! Seriously thanks!

A little about the hunt... no guide, it is in southern Colorado at around 6k ft elevation. I am going with an Army buddies family who have hunted this land for many years. The hunt is an annual event that is a meat harvest as much as anything. We are hunting 4th rifle season, Nov 13-17th. I'm told this is the best season for this land becasue the heard is at lower elevations, but they are also shy and weary of hunters. Meaning that taking a shot at 300 yds is pretty much expected.

I'm basically going because my buddy vouched that "he can shoot". So yeah, I'm commited, and I do want to make a clean, humane kill.

Absolutley going to be making some changes this weekend at the range. Check it out:

unnamed-1.jpg

When HiBC mentioned making a rear rest it really occured that my position needed greatly approved. I was in an akward seated prone type posiition trying to support the stock, and just a mess in general. So I bought this pretty simple bag setup. I couldn't believe how much better it felt than last weekend at the range.

Just practicing in this setup, I took in all the advice and called my shot, and followed through. It all feels a lot better! That reticle was frozen like a picture on the target after dry firing. Going to use better targets too.

I think it was also spot on about being recoil shy. Shooting high powered is a lot different. I even dismissed this advice almost out of tough guy reflex or something, but truth be told I believe my eyes were closed.

Anyway again, thanks for taking the time with the advice. I'll share some pics if I got something to show after the range this weekend.

Good for you!!
I'm sure your targets are better. That's good for confidence. The better bench setup is good for knowing your equipment is calibrated and will do the job.Once that's done,you can move on.

Its no good being uncertain or second guessing what will happen when you launch the bullet.
A giant step #1 is you have accepted that you anticipate recoil.You can't cure a flinch till you own the flinch. The recoil,etc cover up a flinch.You can practice 1000 rounds,flinching each shot ,and never realize it.Your shooting won't improve. Its AFTER you accept that you are closing your eyes,you can cure it. You do that by focus on the sight picture and calling your shot. That must be a conscious part of every shot,dry fire or live fire,at least till you have your elk down. I want you to hear "Call your shot" as you have your crosshairs on your elk.

When you are on an elk,...if you have a stable enough position that your reticle stays steady on the kill zone target,and if you focus and call the shot,you know the bullet is going where the crosshairs were when you call the shot.

Follow through.

Now,as others have pointed out,you won't have the bench with you.

Everything about dry firing is the same as the actual shot on your elk.If you do a good "dry fire" shot on your elk,except you have a round in the chamber,you will fill your tag.

Don't get yourself arrested ,being called in as "Man with a rifle..." but maybe in your basement practice shooting dry fire from prone,sitting,standing,etc.

Also use the chair,the couch arm,your day pack,etc to find a steady position using what you have for support. Have some dot or elk pic for a target,and call your shot. Look for finding natural point of aim so your bones rather than muscles support the shot.Practice how your breating works with the shot. Practice adding pressure to the trigger as your oscillations are heading toward perfect. Call the shot.Follow through.

Like many other skills,its a conscious repetition of doing things right,in the most perfect form,that trains your mind and body to work together.

Even dry firing three shots,three times a day will help a lot. Just don't allow any sloppy or lazy practice. Dry firing where you never even blink will show you if the crosshairs stay on target after the shot.

That's enough for now

You've been given a lot of good advice and I can think of only thing to add. When you get your sights on that elk, concentrate on that sight picture and squeeze that trigger. I guarantee you'll never notice the kick or report of that rifles. One other thing, once you've made that hit, keep shooting till she's down and out. A wound elk can go one hell of a long way and find the crappiest pace to hide.
Paul B.

Back