Big but weak handgun calibers?

If this is correct, why not qualify with a .22? Good Luck....

You didn't read the whole thread. He mixed up the original statement. Should have been "qualify with equal or larger".

Stupid law or not, trying to do an end around, to legally carry a gun that you can't do what is probably a very easy qualification with, isn't ethical IMHO.
My 85 yo dad isn't happy about his limitations either but the Jeff Cooper fan is packing a 9mm and has a poodle shooter in the closet now days.

You didn't read the whole thread. He mixed up the original statement. Should have been "qualify with equal or larger".

No I did not read he entire thread, but I thought there may have been some sort of mix up with the O/P's comment.

Talk to an experienced reloader....and find a load that will work for your buddy....( as I get closer to 70, recoil takes its toll on my hands, wrists, etc too )...

But in .45 acp...there are a lot of options...start with the springs, as an example, Wilson Combat in a 5" gun recommends recoil springs between 15 and 18.5 lbs...( I'd start with something in the middle like 16 lbs or maybe 17 lbs ) so its easier for him to manipulate the weapon / because that is part of it as we get older - hand strength, arthritis, etc...../ and I know you indicated a USP... ( but 1911's is where my perspective is / but you can interpret along the same lines for the USP)...

and then I'd look at the cartridge....Hodgdon reloading site lists..:

230 gr FMJ bullet
Hodgdon Clays..( a fast powder, that gives really light recoil )
Minimum 3.7gr 670 fps at 15,900 CUP / Max is 4.0gr 732 fps 17,000 CUP
Hodgdon TiteGroup ( a powder a lot of us use )
Minimum is 4.4 gr 744 fps at 15,000 cup/max is 4.8 818 fps 16,700 CUP

and depending on what gun he is shooting ...the recoil formula says there are 3 primary factors in the recoil ( bullet weight, muzzle velocity and weight of the gun ).....and if you can add as little as 4 oz more than whatever gun he is shooting now it will reduce the recoil about 10% ( so an all steel 5" 1911 vs a 4" or an alloy frame ...may be a better option) / or maybe a longer barrel than whatever he is shooting now...( but the point is, go a little heavier on the gun, if he can )....

Whatever he decides, I hope it works out !

Maybe I missed it but does it have to be a semi-automatic? I'd think .45 Colt would be the easiest route, especially in a revolver for one of its magnum cousins. (For instance, ever shoot .45 Colt out of an XVR?)

Stupid law or not, trying to do an end around, to legally carry a gun that you can't do what is probably a very easy qualification with, isn't ethical IMHO.

^^^Kinda my opinion also. If one cannot properly operate a firearm when they are prepared and relaxed, how are they gonna operate it safely and effectively under pressure.

Getting old sucks....I know. But getting old means you have lived long enough to learn some things. Knowing when something is beyond your limitations is one of them.

If you "qualify" with a weak 45 why do you think you should carry a full power 45? Qualify with what you can, and carry what you qualify with. Be it a 45, 40, 9Mm, 380, 32,25, or 22.
Kinda like saying I'm gonna get my pilot's license on an XBox game, then go fly a 737!:eek:

Some soft shooting 45acp's?

I seem to recall a Hickok45 video where he crammed some ffffg Goex in some shells and ran them in a 1911. He reported that they were so soft the action barely worked. :D

Might not work for follow ups until the cloud clears. :D

There is a 50GI. I have shot about 50 rounds of it through a rental glock. I felt the recoil was about the same or even less than the 45acp and it would qualify you for any handgun up to 50 caliber.

If there was an arbitrary rule that you couldn't drive a car with a bigger engine than what you took your test in, would you go with your daily driver 2 l Honda or try to find a 425 Cadillac so you can drive any car you might come across later?
It would make perfect sense to take the test with the most powerful car a person could handle.

But there's no benefit to taking the test and getting qualified to carry something more powerful than you can handle. Which is to say that it's pointless for him to try to game the system by taking the test with something that would let him carry something that's so powerful he can't actually qualify with it. If he can handle the .45ACP then he should qualify with it. If he can't, it's pointless for him to be "qualified" to carry it on paper but not in reality.

I have heard that you can't use hand loads when qualifying in New Mexico. Also, despite the odd CC laws, you can open carry in New Mexico without so much as a note from your Mommy

New Mexico recognizes Arizona concealed carry. Basically a quiz from https://arizonaconcealedcarry.com/ and the application cost to Arizona and you have your CC. You can train at your leisure or not. No need to qualify with any gun. This works for non-residents of Arizona also.

Last edited:
If one cannot properly operate a firearm when they are prepared and relaxed, how are they gonna operate it safely and effectively under pressure.

Getting old sucks....I know. But getting old means you have lived long enough to learn some things. Knowing when something is beyond your limitations is one of them.
That's right. I can still fire my 3" .45 ACP with ease, but I can see the day is coming when I may have to start carrying my Glock 26 instead. Or maybe, simply buy a new handgun in a different caliber that I love as much as my present primary.

A man must know his limitations.

Back