Big bores for elk hunting

I've gotten somewhere north of two dozen elk with the BDL in 270 Win I bought in the late 60s. I killed a bunch of deer and black bears too with it, so I know it's plenty of gun for elk. I gave that rifle to my youngest son (he's right handed, my older son is a leftie and he has one too) and he got his first elk with it already. I bought a used 270 Weatherby Mark V but just can't find myself to want to take it out in the woods. The 500 just comes up to my shoulder naturally and swings like a fine shotgun. So the 500 it is ...

:)

Shot the pig at a 1000 acre fenced ranch with my son south of Craig Colorado. The owner had imported a bunch of Russian Boars and I guess they mated with some hogs he had and are rampant throughout his ranch. We hunted with dogs. My son got a bigger one with his 270, shot it in they eye at 15 feet. Need a finishing shot to quiet it down. I think we paid $250 each.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/chuckscap/P1000494.jpg
That was probably some awesome eats!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Big bore - lower velocity

I moved to North Idaho from Southeast Idaho a few years ago, and have been hunting deer and elk with my .270 that was an ideal caliber for Southeast Idaho where there is open hillsides on the south facing slopes and dark timber on the north sides. I've killed a couple of elk up here and it worked fine with 140 grain Accubonds, but the rifle is pain to carry, too long, and always snagging on a low branch.

Here in North Idaho it's all timber, and 150 yards is a long shot, so this year I've retired the .270 and will be hunting everything with my new Henry 45-70. I'll be using an LBT Wide Long Nose 405 grain cast bullet at 1500 FPS. The rifle is only 38" long so it will be a pleasure to carry through the dark timber.

Back