Big bore recommendation

Paul, I also should have mentioned those are gorgeous guns and exactly what I’m wanting.

I have looked into the WE express some and brass availability in the future has been my only real concern. Realistically though 500 rounds of brass would last my lifetime I’m sure. If it ever became an issue my kids/grandkids could always have it rechambered. Too many options is a good thing to have I suppose.

LOOKS LIKE 500 WE BRASS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE - member on single action forum ref above contacted FA and was so informed.

Paul

Unless you feel the need to hunt the Big 5 with a hand gun (even then) the 454 will do what you want it to. You have MANY more options with that caliber and are already set to load it.

jimku said:
.41 magnum is as far as my rubber meets the road, meets ALL of my needs, strongly prefer it to .44 magnum. So when it comes to 454 and 475 I am iggorent as a box o' rocks.
I'm in that same camp as you in that the 41 Remington® Magnum meets ALL of my big bore needs. It is an AMAZING CARTRIDGE!

Guys, the poster was very clear, he wants a FA and he is asking for reasons to choose between the .454 and the .475. I suppose if he wanted a lower-quality oversized DA revolver he’d have asked about it....

It pretty apparent you have never shot a .460. The difference of quality between the two brands compared to price is moot, especially in a hunting revolver. A P.C. .460 is every bit as accurate and reliable as any FA. I've shot both. The weight and size of a S&W X-Frame is there to make the shooting of it much more pleasant than similar calibers from smaller and light platforms. Shoot .454 out of a Ruger platform and then shoot the more [powerful .460 out of a simlar barrel length X-Frame. Then compare where the holes are on the target.

For a hunting revolver, one needs to practice and practice often. Having a firearm pleasant to shoot offers much more proficiency, regardless of how macho folks want to make of themselves. I am not here to make suggestions of what the OP should get, but I also am not going to try and belittle any one else's choices or suggestions. Grew outta that a long time ago. What I am going to suggest to the OP is to forget about this idea of a dedicated hunting revolver having to be "versatile". You don't need to be able to shoot 6 different calibers from any platform for it to be efficient on deer and hogs. You need it to be able to shoot one appropriate caliber very well. Does no good to practice with .45ACP when you are planning to hunt with .454. POI from POA is so radically different that you will just waste time and ammo adjusting sights. In order to become proficient enough to hunt with a big bore revolver you need to shoot your legitimate hunting ammo, every time you shoot it. Period. If you cannot afford to do it, or your wrist/hand can't handle it, you need to forget the whole idea. If you reload(which you almost have to do with the really big bores) you can download ammo if need be, but the cost difference is generally so minimal it won't make sense.

My suggestion to the OP, get what you want. If you can shoot it first, all the better. If you get something and are not happy with it, sell it and try something else. If you want folks to respect your choice, you need to respect the choices of others....or stay the 'ell off social media. There is way too much negative input on social media by the anti's, we don't need it from our fellow gun owners.

It pretty apparent you have never shot a .460. The difference of quality between the two brands compared to price is moot, especially in a hunting revolver. A P.C. .460 is every bit as accurate and reliable as any FA. I've shot both. The weight and size of a S&W X-Frame is there to make the shooting of it much more pleasant than similar calibers from smaller and light platforms. Shoot .454 out of a Ruger platform and then shoot the more [powerful .460 out of a simlar barrel length X-Frame. Then compare where the holes are on the target.

For a hunting revolver, one needs to practice and practice often. Having a firearm pleasant to shoot offers much more proficiency, regardless of how macho folks want to make of themselves. I am not here to make suggestions of what the OP should get, but I also am not going to try and belittle any one else's choices or suggestions. Grew outta that a long time ago. What I am going to suggest to the OP is to forget about this idea of a dedicated hunting revolver having to be "versatile". You don't need to be able to shoot 6 different calibers from any platform for it to be efficient on deer and hogs. You need it to be able to shoot one appropriate caliber very well. Does no good to practice with .45ACP when you are planning to hunt with .454. POI from POA is so radically different that you will just waste time and ammo adjusting sights. In order to become proficient enough to hunt with a big bore revolver you need to shoot your legitimate hunting ammo, every time you shoot it. Period. If you cannot afford to do it, or your wrist/hand can't handle it, you need to forget the whole idea. If you reload(which you almost have to do with the really big bores) you can download ammo if need be, but the cost difference is generally so minimal it won't make sense.

My suggestion to the OP, get what you want. If you can shoot it first, all the better. If you get something and are not happy with it, sell it and try something else. If you want folks to respect your choice, you need to respect the choices of others....or stay the 'ell off social media. There is way too much negative input on social media by the anti's, we don't need it from our fellow gun owners.
@buck460XVR Well said.

If you’re gonna go 454 then you might as well go 460.

Can you get a .460 in something that isn't the massive X frame??

yep, this is America, guy asks about caliber choices in specific gun and gets responses telling him to choose a different caliber in a different gun....:rolleyes:

its like hunting for gold, you gotta go through a lot of mud to find a valuable nugget sometimes...

one good nugget was to practice with the load you're going to hunt with, no matter what it is.

To that, I would add, practice at every possible range. Everything we shoot has an arched trajectory the shooter should learn. Don't just practice at one or two ranges and think that's enough.

An extreme example but easily seen is archery. Big visible curve in flight. A bowhuntng frend of mine once spent all summer practicing his 40 yard shot (his personal maximum range). He got really good, was shooting every day couple hours at a time, determined he wouldn't miss a long shot on a deer.

Come hunting season, he was ready for that 40 yard shot. What he got was a deer that popped up at 15yards. He shot right over it...:mad::o

point here, no matter what you shoot, don't focus on just one shot, because that shot might not be the shot you get.

If I already had a 454 and wanted something a bit more exotic, I'd go with the 475. That goes double if I was casting bullets.

Back