big bore advice

a vote

When I wanted a big bore.....for "just because"...I picked up a .416 Rigby.
The Rigby cartridge is a handloaders dream. Easy to load. Easy to download.
And that brings up its disadvantages.....handloading is necessary (at least for me) because the cost of factory cartridges is very high. The least expensive is still almost $5 per trigger pull.
Even brass is expensive but it is very durable and 40 cases will probably last longer than you or I if properly cared for.
Pete

I thought about the rigby. It's a classic cartridge with plenty of case capacity. And yes, the brass is expensive and, I assume, bullets as well. I don't know if you can get as much hand loading versatility as with the lott. If I got the rigby I guess I would really need to scope it. Just bought a vortex diamondback for $200 for my 7 mag. It's supposed to be a very good scope, But I think eye relief would be a very big concern w/ a 416. I'd also like to know how much of a markdown I should expect off the MSRP $1300 on the cz American safari. Was dealing w/ GM. Seems their cost was about 1000 and they initially quoted low 1100's but when I went to down pay I was told (different person) 1300. I'm now looking at different retailers.

Rigby

When I bought the Rigby, it was the Ruger #1 Tropical. If one holds the gun hard, recoil and eye relief are not an issue. I put a 4X Leupold on mine and have never had problem.
It does rock you back, though. I shoot it from the standing position or seated on the ground.....rarely from the bench. When I do shoot from the bench, there is a bag of shot between me and the gun.
One event that made me smile was the first time my son shot the Ruger. He was seated on a shooting mat, as I had been, when he fired the gun, the recoil just rolled him over onto his back. He said, "wow".
Pete

I've been following this thread and I keep wondering, if you are planning to download the .458 Magnum down to .45-70 power levels, why don't you just buy a .45-70?

Since I don't plan to hunt Cape buffalo or elephant in Africa, the biggest I can see myself with is a 45-70. I love my 1895 Guide Gun.

The bullets are the same diameter.

As to the downloading issue, I just like the ability to be able to do it. For example, after shooting some full house loads with friends, they may not want to continue plinking unless I can offer some lesser power options. I would probably use it full power for hunting, even deer, with a more appropriate bullet just for the enjoyment of something different. I still might consider the rigby. I need to give that some more thought.

I've been following this thread and I keep wondering, if you are planning to download the .458 Magnum down to .45-70 power levels, why don't you just buy a .45-70?

Flexibility, I guess. Knowing you have that extra little edge you can reach for when the performance you want is bumping .45-70 stops. In particular, fans of very long and heavy (or non-lead-cored, or both) bullets might appreciate having a little more length and room in their cases even if they're perfectly happy with what the .45-70 can do on paper.

Why not just buy a .45-70?

Another reason for choosing the .458 rifle (downloaded ammo) is simply because the .45-70 may not be available, or particularly well suited to the rifle that you want.

.458, loaded to "hot" .45-70 levels can be had in a modern bolt gun, suitable for optics as desired, and a stock that can be easily fitted to you, if needed. Add in the usually good trigger pull and its tough to match in a .45-70 repeater.

I have had both a Marlin 1895 (modern) and a custom Siamese Mauser in .45-70. Good guns, both, now passed on to others. I have kept my Ruger No.3 .45-70, which is about all I need in a .45-70 these days. For other big bore rifle chores, I have this... .458 Winchester Magnum

Back