Bi Focals and focusing on front sight...

I am on a computer 6+ hours a day for my profession, and could not live without my progressives. For shooting and daily work I have found that Verilux progressives work very well for me. Unfortunately they are expensive, but I have no choice.

Solution to the problem!!!

The solution I found turns out to be so simple yet so effective.

Go to Walmart and get a pair of clip-on sunglasses that you mount to your shooting glasses. They come in multiple sizes and shapes, so you can get just about anything you want.

Determine what your dominant eye is. To do this look at a distant object and hold up your thumb so that it appears to cover that object. Close one eye and then the other. When you close one of your eyes and your thumb does not appear to move off the object then the open eye is the dominant one.

Do the following for the dominant eye.

Put the sunglasses on your shooting glasses and place a piece of black electrical tape with a small hole in it on the lens. Remove and replace the tape until you can bring your gun into position and see both sights and the target through the small hole without tilting your head.

Drill a small hole through the sunglass lense where the hole in the tape is.

Using very small wire cutters, remove the undrilled lens that would be over your non-dominant eye.

Spray paint the lens with the small hole flat black.

Once dry, place the new shooting patch on your shooting glasses. The reduced aperature forces a greater depth of field. You will find that your rear sight, front sight, AND the target will all be in focus and in the same plane.

It works, it costs about eight dollars to do, and you will be extremely happy.

I have made these for all my shooting friends. As a matter of fact, I have several I am making right now!

Tried SafeVision?

I was very, very impressed with Chris Vogler, the optician here:

http://www.safevision.net/shooting/index.html

He's serious about making good shooting glasses and has done so for folks with a wide range of habits. He asks a lot about your habits and use, as well as physical details. Reasonable price for prescription lenses, plus he sends multiple sample frames for only a minor shipping fee so you can try different fits. Highly recommended.

I wear progressives and they work OK! I found a sweet spot that works fairly well.
For SD I don't rely on sight focus as much as muscle memory, at 50 feet or less the sights being crisp aren't an issue, at 50 yards though they are everything!

Back