Beware gunbroker website

Years ago, no issues to report for a very long time. Early days were kinda wild and wooly. I waste way too much time there, some really great firearm photos and dream about guns like best English doubles....drool.

I bought a lot of guns from them in the past but didn't buy any for 10 years or so. I have never not paid for anything. A few months ago they had a gun I was interested in and I tried to put it on my watch list. They said my account was disabled because I owed some kind of fee but my account showed everything paid and nothing owed. I tried to update my card information and couldn't even do that.

Can't say I have had a bad experience with their customer service, bud. Had a lame buyer bid and win on something I listed, then never paid, and never replied to my messages after the auction ended. Communication was spot on during the auction. But guess it was just some dumb jerk trying to tie up my time. Didn't matter if they got negative feedback to them, I guess. But after 10 days of nothing from the lame duck, I immediately reached out to GB customer service. It was all emails and automated, like OP said, but they weren't lazy about it at all!!

The day I submitted the claim, they reached back out and said they were on the case! They reached out to the buyer but didn't hear a response after five days. GB refunded my listing costs, even relisted it for me hassle-free. Didn't have to lift a finger, pretty awesome. Ironic part about it was that the lame duck had 0 feedback score, but I wasn't picky of who bid on my stuff. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?? I also am not aware of a way to retract a bid from a 0 feedback newbie. I guess I could have put a thing in the listing saying something along the lines of "No feedback?? Contact me first." Oh well, live and learn.

Item sold a few days later, that buyer was "Johnny on the spot" with payment.

I do have to admit, I am on board with the "only buying from FFL with storefront" line.

"bidding clock getting reset 15 minutes when a higher bid comes in and the clock extends."

This is one of the aspects of Gunbroker I find very positive. EBay has problems with what is called "sniping" bids. Some people have bots come in 30 seconds before time is up and autmatically ratchet up a bid to a few cents more than yours. That doesn't work on Gunbroker because every time a bid wins inside of the last 15 minutes, the bidding gets extended to 15 to prevent "sniping". You at least get a chance to see what happened and consider re-bidding if you're watching an important auction near the end.

EBay has problems with what is called "sniping" bids. Some people have bots come in 30 seconds before time is up and autmatically ratchet up a bid to a few cents more than yours

That's not how sniping works. If Bidder A places a $100 bid on an auction and Bidder B places a $200 bid through a snipe app he outbid the other bidder regardless. People use sniping apps because they don't have time to sit and watch auctions all day, so they input their max bid and call it a day.

Somebody dislikes everything on the planet. Some folks and new rope! What I don’t understand is why folks are so trusting? If you do internet stuff long enough you WILL get burned.

The few times I've bid on ebay has been via a sniper. I set my max purchase price and forget about it until the auction is over. I have better things to do with my time than watch bidding.

The few times I've bid on ebay has been via a sniper. I set my max purchase price and forget about it until the auction is over. I have better things to do with my time than watch bidding.
On ebay you don't even need a sniper program. That is how the default bidding works now. Make your max bid. If someone has bid on the item your actual bid will increment until it exceeds the current within the setting for bid increments and you are the current "winner". If your max is below the current bidders max their bids get incremented and the displayed max is reset and you get a notice of being outbid.

Complaining about sniping on Ebay is like being surprised by the sun coming up in the morning....but, but but it was dark when I went to bed!

High bidders win. It doesn't matter if you bid on day one or thirty seconds before the end of the auction.

Auction item was started at $1.
First bid was $1.01
Thirty seconds before the auction ends, someone bids $100.
Ten seconds before auction ends, someone else bids $150. and wins auction.

Ten seconds later bidder #1 posts online complaining about getting sniped on Ebay.:D

Back