Better 1911 Option: 9mm to .38Super or .38Super to 9mm?

Remember the Super is semi-rimmed. That makes for a slightly larger breech face.

Slightly larger...by the case spec drawings, 0.012". (twelve thousandths of an inch)
9mm Luger 0.394"
.38 Super 0.406"

keeping in mind that the case spec drawings are max dimensions, and that individual ammo tolerances often result in slightly less than min specs for ammo...

And the 40 S+W drawing says 424 over the rim.

I did not choose my words very well regarding breech faces and the slide.

I did not intend to say the breech face is different 9mm vs 38 Super. I meant to point out that 38 Super rim was a little larger.

The breech face,in my experience,is quite generous in size for either 9mm or 38 Super.
I have a very nice original Colt made 38 Super slide. The breech face is unaltered.
At one time I was considering using that slide for a 10mm build.

I checked to see if that breech face would accept 10mm,using 10mm brass as a gauge.

It fit easily,with what seems enough clearance to easily feed 10mm without any change. I'm not saying thats true for all 38 Super slides.

Just the one Colt slide I have.

I decided that slide had its own value.Colt marked it "38 Super" It shall remain a 38 Super.
There is nothing wrong with a Caspian slide.

Jim Watson said:
It comes down to the breech face.
I think there are a few brands of slide just wide enough for 9mm, not the semirim of the .38. But most will swing both ways, I know Colt does, I had one.
There are even three way slides, 9, .38, and .40.
Caspian 9mm slides are all cut to accommodate both 9mm and .38 Super.

Para-Ordnance 9mm slides will accommodate .38 Super and .40 S&W.

For the rare 9mm slide that won't accept the semi-rimmed .38 Super cases, Starline offers .38 Super Comp brass, which doesn't have the extended semi-rim.

rc said:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/1911-38-s...sig-sauer.html

A Sig 38 super barrel can be mated to a Kimber 9mm full size or you could get a sig 1911 and have a dual caliber set up. Don't quote me but I believe they are Nowlan/Wilson barrels vs. Para ramped barrels that have a different shape for the recess cut in the frame.
Bummer. I was ready to order one -- until I realized that its a Wilson-Nowlin ramp cut, and I would need a Clark-Para cut.

Two things come to mind in reading this thread:

1) I thought I took the cake for being an old grump. The "all 1911's must be .45 ACP" group makes me look like a kitten :D

2) A 9mm / .38 Super ... ??? I see an excuse to buy not one, but two guns ;)

With the Colt Ace and various other rimfire conversions, the idea is to keep the feel of the 1911 while providing economical practice. These days, given the recent ammo shortage, I think it is reasonable for one who has trained on the 1911 and who doesn't want to change grip frame angles or sights in practice, to get the 1911 in other calibers if they are what is available. As long as you also own it in 45 ACP first and foremost, then you can consider you haven't betrayed the cause. ;)

Unclenick said:
With the Colt Ace and various other rimfire conversions, the idea is to keep the feel of the 1911 while providing economical practice. These days, given the recent ammo shortage, I think it is reasonable for one who has trained on the 1911 and who doesn't want to change grip frame angles or sights in practice, to get the 1911 in other calibers if they are what is available. As long as you also own it in 45 ACP first and foremost, then you can consider you haven't betrayed the cause.
That's a reasonable perspective. I have top ends for 1911s in .22LR, 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I'm still looking for a way to get a Commander barrel chambered in .380 ACP.

For very little investment,I came up with a couple of first gen Caspian Double stack frame castings.
I also have scrounged two brand new STI True Bore Comped Commander length Bull Barrels. 38 Super. I have the small parts to complete one frame assy. The TruBore barrel is a bull barrel with an integral comp machined into the barrel blank.

I have very little money in this stuff. One hurdle is magazines. The EAA Large should work.
I live in Colorado. 15 round max limit. I choose to stay squeaky clean legal.

Factory 38 Super mags are 17 rounds. At this time,I don't have any. They can't be shipped to Colorado. At some time, I might be able to procure some and modify them to 15 rounds. But for now,they are unobtainium. Gotta have magazines.
The 10 mm version of the magazines hold 14 rounds. Colorado legal,no problem. I have some on the way. But 10 mm bullets won't fit through the 38 Super TruBore barrel. HMMM. I ordinarily wouldn't pursue the 9x25 Dillon,(10 mm necked to 9mm) . I'd rather do a 38 Super Comp.
But the 9x25 workaround will allow me to use my barrel and have legal magazines. Plus, I found a reamer.

If I solve the 38 Super Mag capacity problem, OK,fine! But for now,the 9x25 is possible. I also have a bald 38 Super Caspian slide. Hmm. I might have the slide milled for a micro-red dot.

Alien Gear offers an interesting chest holster, I wear bib overalls a lot.

Might be a plan coming together.

Its a little crazy,but 9x25 is another alt cartridge option.

Back